Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found out the 08/09 has much less room under the rear tray/lid than the 02-07's- it looks like it's doable but will take some work

I took the spare out and put an unmounted 225/45 tire in there and the tray sticks up a good 3"- the tray/lid will have to be shortened as it would bump up against the seat in the higher position. I'm thinking cutting several pieces of thick closed cell foam to provide the clearance needed

Anyone already try this?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I have now :)

I've started on my "conversion"- full size mounts fine, just too tall

I cut templates of the four pieces (two styrofoam ones, and the two metal ones closest to the rear seat)- I've got some thick closed cell foam that should do the trick

I found a used floor cover and will have to trim a little bit of it on the edge closest to the rear seats

alright- this was a bit of pita :) I cut some cardboard templates (four of them) and then cut two pieces each of closed cell foam (1.5" thick)- this gave me the height needed so the lid would fit correctly

as you can see the full size spare does allow a few more items to be stored under the lid (namely my tool bag and coveralls)

as mentioned above the lid has to be cut as it now sits higher and w/ the angle of the rear seat would not fit w/o doing so

this was the pita part, I marked a line exactly 1.5" (front section of the lid) and then pulled the outer carpet section loose so it could folded over and glued after cutting

I took out a nice stout carper cutter (thinking this was pressboard or the like under the carpet) much to my chagrin it wouldn't cut, it cut the under carpet section but found out there was a thin metal portion underneath - so had to break out the dremel and a cutting wheel after getting through the thin metal section I again took out the carpet knife and this time it cut (kind of foamy section) but wouldn't cut all the way through- another look and that was because there was another thin layer at the bottom (basically foam sandwiched between two think metal layers).

a little carpet glue and a couple of staples the lid was finally ready to go

pretty dirty, but you get the idea :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Haha, here we have the full size spare and I'm searching for the yellow wheel for having a bigger trunk...
I'm looking to do the exactly opposite mod...a bit far for trading a wheel though...

PS: Sorry about my useless post but it sounded funny to me...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got any pics with the seat folded down? Is it still relatively flat?
no there is a stair step in it now, basically the thickness of the foam

if I had to transport something rather large and it was critical to have it relatively flat- I can swap in the donut spare and spare lid in about 2-3 minutes

if I lived in a more urban environ the donut spare makes sense (20 mile drive should get you to where you need to go), it's not unusual here to be 100 miles from the nearest town- I don't trust the donut for that

^ how do they fit a full size spare? if you had a second or two I'd love to see pics of how they have it arranged

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Slick stuff! That is something I'd like to do, but I'd have to decide which tire to go with a summer or winter...or throw the car off and get an all season of some kind. I really would like to have a full size spare.

joneSi

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fixed that conundrum by getting a spare "summer" and a spare "winter" wheel/tire (BBS RK/Dunlop, oe/Nokian WR)- not a cheap solution but one that will work :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts