Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a K&N drop-in???

I've been looking for a drop-in filter and it seems the choice is limited. A few foams and one gauze. I've always used a gauze type without any issue whatsoever. I'm really close to buying the K&N and would like to know if anyone else has some input before I do buy it. ???

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Anyone using a K&N drop-in???

Been in my STi since day one. Works great! Can't tell a difference, as I didn't run the factory other than from the dealer to the parts store.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

i really like my K&N drop in. In my WRX ive noticed a slight increase in throttle responce and a better sound from the intake.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Do the K&N's require oiling? I had aK&N filter in my previous SUV and the oil screwed up the MAF. That's why this time around I chose to run with the AVO High Flow Panel Filter. The AVO filter doesn't require oiling.

http://rallitek.com/avohiflpafi.html
It's not like the oil is all that thick. It has never messed w/ any MAF I've owned before but it seems like the suby is a bit moody with mods. I like the AVO.... Just don't know if it's as well made.

·
Registered
282 Posts

K&N filters only require oil after cleaning. IF you OVER apply oil after cleaning, you might have some get sucked into the flow and affect the MAF sensor, but I've had K&N on my 02 WRX for 55K miles, my 06 STi for 18K miles and now on my 08 STi for 4K miles with no issues. I typically clean the filter about every 15K miles even though K&N says you can go 50K.

·
Registered
145 Posts

I never even had the chance to re-oil the K&N. Shortly after I installed it on the SUV, I started to have problems. Maybe mine came out of a bad batch, oh well. :-\
I'm glad I invested in the AVO. My WRX feels a bit more responsive when accelerating, has a better sound from under the hood, and a slight increase in mpg. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts

i've used K&N filters on my past 3 vehicles. about 80k miles combined and no issues. as long as you follow the directions for cleaning and oiling, you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I never even had the chance to re-oil the K&N. Shortly after I installed it on the SUV, I started to have problems. Maybe mine came out of a bad batch, oh well. :-\
I'm glad I invested in the AVO. My WRX feels a bit more responsive when accelerating, has a better sound from under the hood, and a slight increase in mpg. :)
A guy started a thread yesterday complaining about dirt within the wrong side of the intake tube and was curious if anyone else has had the same issue.... And the drop-in he owns is the AVO.... Concerning.... Do you have the same prob???

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

I've always used K&N filters for air and oil both

you have to clean and oil the air filters.... just make sure you don't leave it dripping wet with oil and you should be fine. I've never had it screw up my maf.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I've used them before and I did have a MAF oil issue once. I accidentally oiled the wrong side and it got on the maf. just used some electrical contact cleaner and sprayed it off and it was a done issue.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well, I finally commited to the K&N. It should be here within the week.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

i think youll like it. ;D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I do like it!

The car pulls further into the rpm's and there is a certain difference in the low-end.

One thing I've been afraid of is the air/fuel mix becoming too lean... But after thinking about it there isn't any gas station around here that sells a premium octane fuel with a lower rating than 93, which is above the 91 recommended.

The K&N works as expected; my average mileage on the computer (which is REAL close to being dead on after 4 tankfuls) has shown a 2mpg increase..... But that remains to be put to the longer term test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts