Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on the good ol' intake subject for our cars. From what I've gathered it does free up some breathing (duh), which is good, but I've also read mixed reviews on the AFRs being a little screwy after the install, thus leading to a tune to achieve maximum efficiency for the newly added part.

So I saw that EDO Performance is selling the APS Intake for $200.00 installed, although if I bought it I'd install it myself. My question lies in the bolded portion of description of the product, read below:

The APS smooth bore precision machined aluminium Pod air intake system delivers a huge volume of air to the turbo charger for high engine performance.
This APS pod air intake system is the most cost effective way to achieve greater air flow, and fantastic sound. Coated in STI style red wrinkle finish, the APS pod air intake looks as good as it sounds and certainly enhances under-hood presentation.

Complete with quality mounting hardware including nuts, bolts, washers, support bracket, installation diagram with comprehensive instructions, the APS Pod Air Intake is designed for easy installation.

With basic hand tools and a spare 30 minutes of time, installation is a breeze. And best of all, the APS Pod air intake system works in perfect harmony with the stock WRX engine management system as well as aftermarket ECU's.

How much water does that claim hold? Meaning, of course it works with stock ECU, but maybe it will still run rich? Do any of you guys have any experience with this?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Most intakes by themselves other than the Big MAF styles will run fine as long as you get it from a reputable manufacturer. Just make sure no other mods are done to the car or you will get into lean conditions. The intake will run better on higher octane fuel also. Short rams tend to ahve heat soak issues but the one you are looking at is a cold-air type.

With a staged tune you will definitely run into lean conditions as the intake will lean out the tune which has already been made to run optimally with the listed mods within each tune. The CAI will necessitate about a 10% increase in fuel that is needed within the tune.

There are a couple more post about intakes if you use the search.

Good luck

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks touge. i did search and found a lot of contradictory posts regarding the subject, which is why i wanted to see what you guys thought of that specific one that claims it runs "in perfect harmony" with our stock ecu settings. i also read unabombers manifesto over on nasioc, followed the links to the FAQ's regarding the intake subject.

i appreciate your input, it sounds like it might be okay to run the APS one then.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
is there a specific one for 08/09 WRX? Couldnt find it on their site. And the one in the link, wow, thats mega short ram.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there a specific one for 08/09 WRX? Couldnt find it on their site. And the one in the link, wow, thats mega short ram.
**update, just called south coast subie, here in so. cal and talked to their parts guys (who know their stuff) and they informed me that the APS is really good, but they don't have an intake (nor does SPT) for our 08/09 cars.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My friend and I have ran the harman cai without issues, although Jon from hbspeed stated that my car was 13.1 as compared to stock 11.1 ish (when I had it tuned)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
My friend and I have ran the harman cai without issues, although Jon from hbspeed stated that my car was 13.1 as compared to stock 11.1 ish (when I had it tuned)
2 full points from Harman/AEM? Pretty aggressive intake you got there. Was it due to the MAF scaling from the tune? I dont think the HM/AEM were designed to go up 2 full points, at least not on their full production models.

·
Registered
213 Posts
"NO!" (about running an intake w/o a tune)

"stock AFR target is 10.4 ish
with this intake Mike was running 12.36:1 afr !!!!!

After the tune it was 11.6- 11.0"

I also was running a catted dp, although Jon didnt make any comments about that

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
To the OP I have tuned one APS CAI on a 2002 WRX and it had maf scaling that was not only like stock but actually had less scatter than stock. If APS makes one for your car it will probably be a good choice. I saw better results than even the SPT intake with the APS. This really only applies to 02-07 WRX/STI's but if they do as good of a job with the 08+intake it could be a good option.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just got my perrin drop in filter today, but also ordered a harman cai that i should be able to pick up jan 5th. should i even bother putting in the perrin to see if i can notice anything or just return it. the crappy thing is i am going to take a total hit of 25% upon returning the perrin, meaning i got it for $45 shipped, but if i want a refund, i'll only get $27 back cash, or $37 store credit.....decisions.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts