Subaru WRX Forums banner

What Brand of Petrol do you fill up with?

• Caltex - 98

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobil 1 - 98

• BP - 98

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been monitoring my usuage a little bit lately. I personally used to use both Shell and Caltex religiously. I always got told they make the best power and good for your engine etc.

So on my new car, I did some more research and got told that apparently BP have the highest minimum standard for their 98 ron petrol (96), where some of the other brands only have a minimum of around 94-95 ron (on their 98 ron products).
So i used BP for ages now, and didnt fill up with anything else, got around 420-440 KM to a tank. Then I went to my dyno shop and the guy is great at what he does and he sweared by Shell making the most power. now after using BP for so long I have become Petrolised (real word) with BP. I wasnt hearing him. My way was the best way or so I thought.

2 weeks ago I tried out the Shell and have to say it definitely feels more raw (not as smooth) but more power, almost definitely.

On the other hand, I am on my 3rd tank of Shell and the best I have gotten is 350KMs worst is 315KMs to a full tank. So quite a bit less than the BP. Im torn between what to use as BP is definitely smoother to me, but Shell is definitely making the power, to me.

Thoughts, what do you fill up with, what KMs do you get? (if you actually care to count! lol)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Not sure where you are Boost, but do you have United petrol stations? They have Unleaded 100 RON. Normally i fill up with Shell 98 as it is the closest petrol station to where i live, but currently they are building a new BP literally around the corner from my house.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey mate I am in Sydney.. I havent seen a united in ages around me.. Ill see if I can add it to the list!

And whoa!! 100ron you lucky lad! we had it through Shell for a short while but then they axed it citing some reason which didnt make sense considering it was always sold out near me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My tuner told me to only run BP 98 so that's what I do and never had an issue. I get 450+ k's 'til the fuel light comes on generally, but all those are country k's. BP out in the "sticks" has always been consistent, can't vouch for the others.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I may be wrong, but I heard that new emmissions rules are coming into force next year which will reduce the "power" of 98 octanes. I also heard from a source who generally knows this stuff that to date only BP have complied so far, reducing the ingredients of their 98 octane.

So I have weaned myslef off BP after about 4 years of near cultish use and moved to Shell 98. The car does feel better, more power, more responsive and sounds better? Placebo maybe.

All good until today when I nearly ran out of fuel in a Brisbne traffic Jam and took it up the arse from BP at $1.69L....sore

1 - 6 of 6 Posts