Subaru WRX Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Australian spec MY09 WRX

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  19 
#1 ·
The Australian model has had significant changes over the American models according to Subaru Australia. Read on

"It's under the skin where the real work's gone on in the changeover from 08 to 09... Thanks to an injection of STI-sourced parts and significant local development of the suspension package, the MY09 WRX is a much sharper offering.

There have also been changes to the five-speed transmission for better shift feel, but most drivers will best notice the change in suspension tune. While the engine changes will be adopted across most WRX markets worldwide, the new suspension tune is specific to Australia." by Subaru Australia in conjunction with Fuji Heavy Industries own development team, in Subaru's own words, the MY09 Impreza WRX has been "retuned to provide a more sports biased handling performance while still retaining good ride comfort with a slight deterioration to impact harshness in favour of higher levels of grip and stability under more spirited driving styles."

In hardware terms, the MY09 gets higher spring rates front and rear and larger diameter antiroll bars. In addition, the 08 model's front strut mounts have been ditched, replaced by STI sourced units.

Damping rates have also been revisited. The fronts have significantly increased rebound rates, while the rear dampers' 'bump' (compression damping) settings have been raised to decrease squat and generate more rear grip.

While the brakes and the size of the 17-inch alloys are carried over (the MY09 does get a new design), the WRX now rolls on wider Dunlop SP Sport rubber -- 225/45R 17s, in lieu of 205/50 Yokohama Advans.

The steering too has been tweaked, with a damper valve incorporated in the steering system to reduce kickback. On the rutted dirt section of the launch drive it worked a treat."

This is why so many 3G MY08 WRX owners feel shafted.

And to those who are stating the bleeding obvious such as "you know what you bought when you bought it, blah blah blah resale values always drop, blah, my old gt lost x amount, blah blah, sell it and buy an 09, blah, put a bigger pipe on it etc, etc." sadly means you have missed the point.

This issue also isnt about whether or not we like our MY08s. I like mine.

Its the yawning and formally unheard of performance gap/difference in the TWO 3Gs models, and the flow on from that, that is the issue. Two third gen vehicles with the same name and body only.

Ask yourself this, 'would you care for a 3G MY08 over a3G MY09'?

They are the same price here,......new that is.

See less See more
#2 ·
These are the same changes as the USDM 09 WRX's saw (yes, the USDM wrx got a stiffened suspension too, even if not the EXACT same adjustment). Plus, we are aware that you are mad, but is it necessary that you start a new thread just to revisit a topic already beaten to death (and beyond) in at least a few threads in this forum (and every other Subaru forum)?

#5 ·
I can always count on you chanke4252 for an unbiased and balanced opinion especially when you comment on something you havnt read ::) You said "Yes, I for some reason don't want to see what you have said." You know you dont 'have to read or reply'. :-X

This forum is for people to share infomation, ideas and opinions.

I and many other non conforming, non fatilist 3G MY08 WRX owners believe WE WERE SHAFTED BY SUBARU. Deal with it.

#6 ·
I can always count on you chanke4252 for an unbiased and balanced opinion especially when you comment on something you havnt read ::) You said "Yes, I for some reason don't want to see what you have said." You know you dont 'have to read or reply'. :-X

This forum is for people to share infomation, ideas and opinions.

I and many other non conforming, non fatilist 3G MY08 WRX owners believe WE WERE SHAFTED BY SUBARU. Deal with it.

Yes, I for some reason don't want to see what you have said. ::)
I said that sarcastically, hence the roll-eyes emoticon. I am the most vocal about it in this instance, but take a hint from the other 08 owners who are also telling you to stop complaining (at least on this board). My "unbiased and balance opinion" that you are being obnoxious is not one that is going to be unpopular here. Again, I am not the only one who is annoyed by this. You are obviously mad and looking for an outlet or to start an argument (I'm not interested), but please take it elsewhere as this topic has already been beaten to death and people here are just tired of hearing about it, even your fellow 08 WRX owners.

#7 ·
We,ll chanke4252, i dont see why its your job to reply and disagree with the subject if it annoys you and others so much, i dont want an argument, infact i,d prefer support.

Its only when the people speak up for themselves that change happens, and here it needs to change.

So to Subaru.

An ecu upgrade would heal alot of angst. And stop this destructive thread and many like it.

Its getting into the media down here, i,ll gladly keep you informed of our progress. ;D

PS i havnt cried once, i like my car.......except when i got a -1 karma from someone :'( break your f-ing heart

#8 ·
We,ll chanke4252, i dont see why its your job to reply and disagree with the subject if it annoys you and others so much, i dont want an argument, infact i,d prefer support.

Its only when the people speak up for themselves that change happens, and here it needs to change.

So to Subaru.

An ecu upgrade would heal alot of angst. And stop this destructive thread and many like it.

Its getting into the media down here, i,ll gladly keep you informed of our progress. ;D
The only problem here is that we already did this about two or three months ago, and if these threads are so destructive, why did you start another one? Again, we already beat this exact topic to death, and it wasn't pleasant. I guarantee you that nobody wants to revisit it, especially considering the fact that when we did get our hands on the 09's we realized that it wasn't a night and day difference over the 08's. All you are doing is needlessly adding negativity and angst to the forum and using it as an outlet for your anger. I for one do not like it, so I will respond.

#9 ·
NO CHANGE WILL HAPPEN!!! GET OVER IT HOLY SHIAT!!!

You posted this in one of the other 234234 threads about the 08 vs 09. Again nobody there cared either. So why start a new thread about it. Use the search feature and realize that NOTHING will ever come of this.

GET THE FK OVER IT!

Is that easy enough to understand?

This is coming from a 08 owner.

#10 ·
Ask yourself this, 'would you care for a 3G MY08 over a 3G MY09'?

They are the same price here,......new that is.

I just worked it out you guys work for Subaru :eek: :eek: :eek:

#14 ·
In that case, I'll take a root beer, some of your moms cookies, and no more threads about this topic.

Seriously, Dude, I know your pissed off about this, but I don't think any amount of venting is going to make this better for you...and it will just make things worse around these forums.

About Chanke4252, don't forget, he has had both an 08 and an 09 (no he didn't get the 09 because of the new setup, either).

joneSi

#15 ·
I wouldn't give up my '08 for an '09 even if it was a straight trade. I like my torque down low...I like it a lot. Go find me another subie with THIS much torque THIS low in the rpm band gotten so EASILY and I may consider it. I've actually been surprised by the posts I've seen from '09 owners asking how they can get 'more power down low'. To be honest, not many people use these cars to their fullest potential in the first place. The best mod you can do for a car generally is to get a better driver. The changes between the '08 and '09 are insignificant at best in the grand scheme of things.

Yes I've driven an '09
Yes I've driven the '08 STI

#16 ·
God you guys are so passionate, no cookies, -3 karma, scooter accusations :(.

I will wait to drive the 3G MY09 before saying anything else on the subject :-X

BUT if the AUSTRALIAN version is as good as the journos here are saying it is, you guys shouldnt be eating cookies, it should be humble pie. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.