Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am really looking forward to being in the local chapter of the SCCA. I am considering which class I would like to compete in, and think that D-Stock would be a great place for me to start (I assume so anyway, I also assume D-Stock is, lol, STOCK. I am wondering about some of the rules (regarding suspension setup). Does anybody have a link to a place where I can read up on what I -can- do to the car and stay D-Stock (I assume, mostly nothing)...what if I changed out the endlinks? Still D-Stock?

Second, does anybody know a good place to go to a performance driving school around Chicago? I want to do this RIGHT (and safe for me AND my car).

joneSi

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C-Stock and D-Stock you generally have to keep the car bone stock, at least that's the case for when my car was stock lol...

But you have an 09, so stock....Ain't that bad ;)

As for the place I couldnt tell you, Im in NY so all I know is Limerock and Englishtown...Google it perhaps?
Thanks!

Yeah, a stock 09 is a good thing, but it still feels like the suspension in the front is doing a lot of the work. Something simple would be nice. Maybe a rear strut tower brace and a -slightly- larger rear sway.

I'll keep it stock for now I guess. I'd really like to run a larger rear sway, though. I'd especially be interested in the STi rear sway, at 18mm, but will wait until at least one full season of racing is over.

Looks like there is an andretti school, about $2500. Maybe the best upgrade I can make to my car is me!

joneSi

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah you'll find the driving skill in auto-x to be really diverse, but it's an awesome experience...Maybe just upgrade the suspension, and don't tell anyone? lol

They never looked at my car until it started sounding like a beast :)
LOL, maybe. But then I'm a bit of a cheater, no? But it IS only like 2mm more in the sway :-*

Ok, so the best upgrades to the car are upgrading me and maybe a tiny upgrade to the rear sway 8)

joneSi

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'll be running D Stock this coming season w/ my 09, previously ran STX w/ both my 02 and 04).

Class stock allows a few suspension changes. The big one (and the one you want to put at the top of the list) is the allowance of R compound tires. You can mount these on stock rims or any rim that is the same size (17x7) and is within .25" of the oe offset- so basically 48+ There is definitely room to trim some unsprung weight as the oe wheels are ~ 23 lbs

I'll be running 245/40/17 Hoosier A6's, this seems to be the consensus size for the WRX in D stock. Several R compounds offered in this size.

the next allowance is alignment, you'll want to maximize the neg camber in the front

there is an allowance for a front sway bar (nothing for the rear), quite frankly the bigger the better. the largest commercial bar offered at the time is the Whiteline 24/26 bar. the front sway bar allowance includes mounts and links, so yes you can upgrade the front links (not the rear however)

struts/shocks are also allowed, I'm currently working w/ Koni in developing a set of dampers for the 08/09 platform- hopefully something in the next month or two

that about it for suspension, other allowances include a cat back exhaust, panel filter and a few other misc things

the complete rule set can be downloaded for free off the scca site

as far as driving schools go, any will likely help, but for autocross probably the end all schools are the ones offered by EVO Performance- taught by nationally competitive drivers (most have a few championships under their belt)

you'll find pretty quickly that seat time will be your best mod and investment :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be running D Stock this coming season w/ my 09, previously ran STX w/ both my 02 and 04).

Class stock allows a few suspension changes. The big one (and the one you want to put at the top of the list) is the allowance of R compound tires. You can mount these on stock rims or any rim that is the same size (17x7) and is within .25" of the oe offset- so basically 48+ There is definitely room to trim some unsprung weight as the oe wheels are ~ 23 lbs

I'll be running 245/40/17 Hoosier A6's, this seems to be the consensus size for the WRX in D stock. Several R compounds offered in this size.

the next allowance is alignment, you'll want to maximize the neg camber in the front

there is an allowance for a front sway bar (nothing for the rear), quite frankly the bigger the better. the largest commercial bar offered at the time is the Whiteline 24/26 bar. the front sway bar allowance includes mounts and links, so yes you can upgrade the front links (not the rear however)

struts/shocks are also allowed, I'm currently working w/ Koni in developing a set of dampers for the 08/09 platform- hopefully something in the next month or two

that about it for suspension, other allowances include a cat back exhaust, panel filter and a few other misc things

the complete rule set can be downloaded for free off the scca site

as far as driving schools go, any will likely help, but for autocross probably the end all schools are the ones offered by EVO Performance- taught by nationally competitive drivers (most have a few championships under their belt)

you'll find pretty quickly that seat time will be your best mod and investment :)
GREAT INFO! +1 to you.

So I can't go to 17x7.5 wheel? If not, I guess I did find a great 17x7 wheel by Kosei on TireRack.com that is $196 a wheel for low pressure cast wheel...and weighs 14 lbs. Also, would R compound tires be a mess to use on a DD? As much as I'd love to have race tires, I don't know that it is a great idea if I'm driving it every day also.

Bigger the better for a front sway? Doesn't that cause the car to push (more than it does)?

I doubt I can DD a car with a ton of negative camber, and my wife and future kid(s) would kill me if I had rough riding struts too (like my Si had). Tires I can live with I think...

joneSi

·
Registered
651 Posts
no has to be 17x7, you definitely can't daily drive a R compound tire (for very long anyways :))

most folks just dedicate a set of rims to the R compounds, I'll use the stock tires for daily driving and also for rain tires in wet events

what happens w/ a bigger sway bar is that adds roll stiffness to the front end (the end that does the turning)- by adding additional roll stiffness the car will roll less and most importantly the front tires will go less positive (lean outwards) in a turn- the flatter you keep the tire the more grip- it's the same reason you want to add static neg camber to the front end- keep the tires flat in corners

it took me a long time (a couple of years :)) to come around to the big front bar school of thinking, after using literally dozens of different size bars front and rear, I can say with confidence that a bigger front sway bar will significantly add to the handling prowess of the Impreza :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no has to be 17x7, you definitely can't daily drive a R compound tire (for very long anyways :))

most folks just dedicate a set of rims to the R compounds, I'll use the stock tires for daily driving and also for rain tires in wet events

what happens w/ a bigger sway bar is that adds roll stiffness to the front end (the end that does the turning)- by adding additional roll stiffness the car will roll less and most importantly the front tires will go less positive (lean outwards) in a turn- the flatter you keep the tire the more grip- it's the same reason you want to add static neg camber to the front end- keep the tires flat in corners

it took me a long time (a couple of years :)) to come around to the big front bar school of thinking, after using literally dozens of different size bars front and rear, I can say with confidence that a bigger front sway bar will significantly add to the handling prowess of the Impreza :)
I don't know how competitive I =really= want to be. I really want a place to have fun and have an outlet for fast/spirited driving of my wrx, so I don't feel like I've got to race around on the street (which is tough with a car like this!). So I'll likely stick with stock sways all around, though if anything, though i might just give that front sway a shot.

Also, my stock wheels are dedicated now to winter driving and have winter tires on them. I don't want to have to switch out wheels on my car for the weekend...I also can't afford two more sets of wheels at this point. Maybe at some point though.

Once this car is paid for (about 3.5 years from now), and I buy a legacy GT or maybe another WRX to DD, then I'll dedicate this one to more track time. Just leave R compound tires on it and change it out for , not to mention do the front sway, catback, or struts and everything else that is legal for the class I want to run.

·
Registered
651 Posts
the oe summer tire would be a worthy autox tire to start w/, you'll need to run them on the oe wheels to be in Stock class, if you run wider wheels, then STU is where you'll be classed

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the oe summer tire would be a worthy autox tire to start w/, you'll need to run them on the oe wheels to be in Stock class, if you run wider wheels, then STU is where you'll be classed
What is STU?

To run in D-Stock can I run 17x7 wheels that are not oe wheels? Otherwise I guess I'll be in the market for some OE wheels.

joneSi

·
Registered
651 Posts
no you can run any 17x7 wheel (as long as the offset is greater than 48- this conforms to the .25" rule)

I was under the impression you might already have 17x7.5" wheels which would bump you into STU (a street tire class that unfortunately also has the likes of the STi and EVO in it)

if you don't, then by all means buy 17x7 ones

for the money you won't beat the Kosei K1 TS 17x7 50mm offset and only weighs 14.6 lbs- thats almost 10 lbs lighter than the stockers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&showRear=no&filterSize=17&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=&filterNew=&initialPartNumber=TS125LG&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+WRX+5+Door&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=With+Rubber+Valve+Stems

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no you can run any 17x7 wheel (as long as the offset is greater than 48- this conforms to the .25" rule)

I was under the impression you might already have 17x7.5" wheels which would bump you into STU (a street tire class that unfortunately also has the likes of the STi and EVO in it)

if you don't, then by all means buy 17x7 ones

for the money you won't beat the Kosei K1 TS 17x7 50mm offset and only weighs 14.6 lbs- thats almost 10 lbs lighter than the stockers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&showRear=no&filterSize=17&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=&filterNew=&initialPartNumber=TS125LG&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+WRX+5+Door&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=With+Rubber+Valve+Stems
YUP, thats the wheel! And they aren't bad looking, to boot!

I appreciate all the help. I'm really looking forward to my 'rookie' season.

joneSi

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the key to being successful in your respective class (whatever it may be) will be to understand the rules. Go here: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61

And read, read, read....

One thing to remember is the stock class isn't always the easiest/slowest! Stock classes allow one of the most beneficial mods of all....R-Compound tires!!! I improved over 2 seconds on fresh race rubber on my B-Stock RX8. Point is, depending on the local talent at your region, you may end up being more compeitive in a STU class for no other reason than everyone being on street tires.

Finally, driving schools. Big improvements here as well. You have two options: HPDE at a track...check out the regional BMW or Porsche clubs for driving schools at the local road course (prob Autobahn Country Club for you). You can also go to Putnam Park (about 40min West of Indianapolis, IN) for a very safe track. There are a lot of options here, but these are higher speed type stuff. If you want strictly autox seat time/training, Evo school is the best. www.Evoschool.com

I've taken both types of courses....Evo school teaches a lot of basics and you get plently of seat time to get comfortable in the cones. About $250/day I think? But that is 8 hours of class. HPDE's range about $300-500 for a whole weekend but this experience won't necessarily teach you what you need to know specifically for autox, but it is sooooooooo much fun!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the key to being successful in your respective class (whatever it may be) will be to understand the rules. Go here: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61

And read, read, read....

One thing to remember is the stock class isn't always the easiest/slowest! Stock classes allow one of the most beneficial mods of all....R-Compound tires!!! I improved over 2 seconds on fresh race rubber on my B-Stock RX8. Point is, depending on the local talent at your region, you may end up being more compeitive in a STU class for no other reason than everyone being on street tires.

Finally, driving schools. Big improvements here as well. You have two options: HPDE at a track...check out the regional BMW or Porsche clubs for driving schools at the local road course (prob Autobahn Country Club for you). You can also go to Putnam Park (about 40min West of Indianapolis, IN) for a very safe track. There are a lot of options here, but these are higher speed type stuff. If you want strictly autox seat time/training, Evo school is the best. www.Evoschool.com

I've taken both types of courses....Evo school teaches a lot of basics and you get plently of seat time to get comfortable in the cones. About 0/day I think? But that is 8 hours of class. HPDE's range about 0-500 for a whole weekend but this experience won't necessarily teach you what you need to know specifically for autox, but it is sooooooooo much fun!
RS/Cincy,

Thanks for the heads up(s)! I'll keep that in mind about D-Stock class and may consider STS/X/U, but which would a modified WRX run in?

I think first thing is first, I'm going to run D-Stock for a year, and see how I do, while looking at the other classes and getting to know where and how to improve. I don't want to make MAJOR changes to the car as I really, REALLY like the way the car drives out of the box. I'd rather make some milder changes (like the possibility of an STi rear sway, if I change classes and if that is kosher) as well as some new rubber once I wear through the stock 09 tires...oh, right and some wheels. Still likely the 17x7 Kosei wheel from tirerack at 196 ea.

I'll do some reading and post back.

joneSi

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the heads up(s)! I'll keep that in mind about D-Stock class and may consider STS/X/U, but which would a modified WRX run in?
Whether you run STS/X/U depends on the car, not the mods done. 08 WRX was in STU so I imagine so will the 09. The STI is also in STU.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whether you run STS/X/U depends on the car, not the mods done. 08 WRX was in STU so I imagine so will the 09. The STI is also in STU.
Right, I guessed that, I just didn't know which of the three it would fall into (much like I knew I couldn't run in, say, stock-E for example).

My question was which I would be able to run the car in (and you let me know STU for the 08, so thank you, sir).

Mostly I want to read the rules regarding the mods to the car as I would guess it could possibly be limited for STU as well, as it is in the stock classes. I have no time to check the scca site right now, but will follow up after class today.

Thanks for the info.

joneSi

·
Registered
651 Posts
what bumps the 06+ WRX into STU (vs STX for the 02-05 WRX's) is the displacement, STX is limited to 2.0 liters for forced induction (* the EVO was on the exclusion list for STX an thus into STU as well)

clearly on a national level the 09 WRX will be far more competitive in D Stock vs STU, locally that might not be the case

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what bumps the 06+ WRX into STU (vs STX for the 02-05 WRX's) is the displacement, STX is limited to 2.0 liters for forced induction (* the EVO was on the exclusion list for STX an thus into STU as well)

clearly on a national level the 09 WRX will be far more competitive in D Stock vs STU, locally that might not be the case
Well, I don't think there will be a TON of people in either of the classes, though that might not be the case. Mostly because I am in the middle of iowa and illinois...(on the muddy mississippi, lol) But I can't assume anything either. You never know.

I'll look into mods for STU.

Thanks,
joneSi

EDIT: In STU...plenty of stuff goes. I'll consider that, too. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts