Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the wrx to an autox this past weekend and i was pretty impressed. i'm bone stock, down to the crappy re92s. it understeered much less than i was expecting and actually neutral steered very well for the most part which is very surprising for a stock car. feels completely different when racing than on the street. acceleration was pretty impressive, hit around 0.6-0.7 g's doing easy-ish launches (no tire spin, just feathering the clutch), braking left a little to be desired (around 0.8 g's) and cornering was very impressive (up to around 0.9 to 1.0 g's peak). i could really just fling it around a corner and get to full throttle super early. finished 4th out of 8 in class, missed 3rd by 0.09s. every driver in front of me had performance summer tires (falken azenis/dunlop z1s). can't wait to get some good wheels and tires to see what she can really do.

·
Registered
577 Posts
nice!

Sounds like a lot of fun.
sure does! congrats.... cool to see that you set a benchmark for yourself and car! throw some crap (mods) on there and then take that beast out! hello podium! ;D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice! Impressive finish, especially considering the car is completely stock!

Looks like the 2008 chassis has a lot of potential 8)

Would love to see how it does with some performance tires/suspension.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like great fun!!

Glad to hear somebody not complain about the stock sus. - it works when you work with it n'est pas?? Tires will take a lot of time off I suspect...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I really think the 3G chassis is crazy good...

I had a full suspension on one of my GC8s (1G) chassis for my autocross car:

-STI tarmac springs, AGX struts, front and rear camber adjustment, braces all over the place, front and rear sways, end links, and anti-lift kit, azenis RT615 tires...

It handled amazingly, but even with all that stuff, the 3G chassis I have with just pinks, and sways/endlinks, front tower brace and RE92s...seems to handle more predictably and possibly just as good

When I autocross next month I'll let everyone know what happens. (I'll be running all of the above mods plus the exact same RT-615 tires and wheels that my old GC8 had).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sounds like you have th same impression as me. I posted this the other day...

"Went to an Autocross yesterday for the first ime in over 2 years. It is also the first time I have been able to totally thrash my car without regard for safety(as in hitting someone else)....

First off ...I SUCKED!!! I had forgotten how hard it is to actually do well. I used to be able to mess with the really modified WRX's when I did it on a regular basis in my 03 wagon. My son and I would piss them off and constantly run in the top 2 or 3. WRX's dominate, in numbers, the local events. We had 14 out of 60 cars at this last event.

Secondly...RE 92s, while supplying much entertainment and exercise for the corner workers, SUCK!!

Now for the meat of it all. On my first run, I hardly even used the brakes. My time was terrible, but I learned alot. The second run I overdrove and had a DNF. The last 3 runs I settled down and tried to learn how far I could push it. The car has some real potential. Being totally stock, I figured the body roll would really be bad. While it did roll, it did the side to side transitions very well. Power came on strong, no matter which wrong gear I was in at the time. The rev limiter works!(don't ask) Getting my fat feet close enough to, left foot brake, was tough. Sort of figured it out by the third run.

Each run was progressively faster, although I didn't have a single clean run. I dropped close to 5 seconds during the day. If I could have put in one consistent run, it would have been more like 8. Being a new car, I had a rider on 4 of my 5 runs. Only one of them had ever seen me run before, or ridden with me. All liked the car and commented on the smoothness. The one rider, who had ridden with me before, did manage to let me know that I was way out of practice and currently sucked. Of course, he was comfortable enough to wave and yell cordial greetings to the corner workers as we passed. He also noted the car's potential.

All in all, Had a fun day. Learned alot and feel more comfortable with the car now, having some real idea as to how it will handle in some stressful situations."

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like great fun!!

Glad to hear somebody not complain about the stock sus. - it works when you work with it n'est pas?? Tires will take a lot of time off I suspect...
yeah, my only real complaint about it is that through real tight slaloms it doesn't transition very well. i've got new wheels and tires on now (dunlop z1 star spec 225/45/17) and it's a lot of time to load the outside tires when going back and forth. for everything else, just turn in a bit earlier than you're expecting to load the tires and it does fine, the awd will pull you out of the corner no matter the orientation of the car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a (crappy) video from an autox two weeks back:
this was my worst run.. but the only one someone caught a vid of. got a couple seconds faster and ended up winning my class. you can see me having some issues through that middle slalom..

this past weekend, i ran with the tri-state sports car club and won my class again (out of 23 drivers). so the 08 wrx definitely has some potential :)
this weekend is the scca national tour in milwaukee and i'm hoping for another win (only two saab 9-2xs and a legacy gt in my class though)

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/quote]

yeah, my only real complaint about it is that through real tight slaloms it doesn't transition very well. i've got new wheels and tires on now (dunlop z1 star spec 225/45/17) and it's a lot of time to load the outside tires when going back and forth. for everything else, just turn in a bit earlier than you're expecting to load the tires and it does fine, the awd will pull you out of the corner no matter the orientation of the car.
[/quote]

That's funny, Because I thought it did pretty good in the transitions and so did a couple of my riders. Maybe it was the style of the course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts