Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The install wasnt too hard. I love the avic-d3. I am powering the stock speakers and it sounds so much better then the stock hu.

·
Registered
120 Posts
looks awesome. what type of mounting bracket is that? makes me think the japanparts.com one would be a waste because this install looks great! might be time for me to order this head unit for myself

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the metra kit, I am going to head down to home depot later to see if i can find spray paint that will match the bronze/silver trim. I was going to order the jdm one but i couldnt justify spending $90. I'll rather spend the $90 on a used ipod .

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
that looks really cool. Is it dvd based maps or HD?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are those just images of gauges or are they actually functional?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow, that's truly impressive! Too bad you couldn't connect a boost gauge up through that.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Nice HU set up!! I was lookn at the same one, but u can't use Nav. and dvd at the same time. So I went w/ garmin. and lookn into a double din dvd set up.

+'s for the Subie stars at start up ;D

·
Registered
629 Posts
That is a clean set-up!!! Very nice job.......I tried spraying my Metra kit to match also, didn't work out so well...but Good luck to you anyways!! Let me know how it comes out if you don't mind. :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
LOL.... I thought you could but dude at the store said NO. O well... At least w/ the garmin Its another gadget to play with. Thanks for clearing that up :).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I painted the metra kit metalic dark gray...well.. its a bit too metalic so I went and got some regular dark grey and I will repaint it this weekend and install my boost gauge!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
When you say powering the speakers do you mean with the HU or an amp? Also, did you have a wiring adapter or did you have to figure out wiring/solder it appropriatly? How much was the HU if you don't mind me asking...does it have XM capabilities and Movie/DVD on while driving?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks...could you direct me to the part number for this harness? And are you powering the speakers via an amp or just through the headunit?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am powering my speakers with the internal amp, it sounds more then decent. Alot better then stock especially when you are listening to radio. The stock stereo when you listen to cd, ipod sounds decent but FM sounds like crap, very muffled even with trebble maxed out. Overall i am satisfied with this unit, i paid a bit over $300 used. Its unbelievable how cheap these units are selling for used. 7 years ago i had $550 for a alpine cd radio, and 4 years ago $400 for a alpine cd radio. So this $300 used avic is definatly worth the money I paid. Only downside is a higher risk of getting it stolen.
In my last car, i had a complete system, it was not super high end but middle to higher end. I notice my ears are kinda sensitive if i turn it up so with my new wrx i decided not to go with new speakers and amp because i feel that the avic provides efficient (20watt RMS i believe) power to the stock speakers and is pretty clear as well. I also added a basslink sub, so i am now done with the audio department. Time for power mods!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am powering my speakers with the internal amp, it sounds more then decent. Alot better then stock especially when you are listening to radio. The stock stereo when you listen to cd, ipod sounds decent but FM sounds like crap, very muffled even with trebble maxed out. Overall i am satisfied with this unit, i paid a bit over 0 used. Its unbelievable how cheap these units are selling for used. 7 years ago i had 0 for a alpine cd radio, and 4 years ago 0 for a alpine cd radio. So this 0 used avic is definatly worth the money I paid. Only downside is a higher risk of getting it stolen.
How does the navigation work? And who makes the navigation? I really like the Garmin ones, and I saw that Kenwood licenses the Garmin system for one of their nav units. I have maps on my phone, but they don't work when I'm off ATT's data network up in the hills exploring twisty back roads. Since the stock system has been so disappointing I'm looking at just going all out and putting Nav in dash.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The NAV is not quite as good as some other nav's. The way that it routes you sometimes can be a little funky. Usually all that means is that it takes you a block or two out of the way for no reason, but it's worth mentioning. It still stacks up pretty well against most other nav's that I've used though. My OEM Honda nav was a lot easier to use due to the inclusion of more hard buttons and less touchscreen, but the touchscreen on the D3 is really accurate and just the right amount of sensitivity. The nav is definitely easier to use than the magellan units that I've used.

All in all it depends on what you are looking for. If NAV is your primary concern, or you still use CD's on a regular basis, then you might want to go with another unit. That's not saying that the nav in the D3 is bad, because it's not bad by any means (i like the nav a lot), there are just better nav systems out there. The thing about the CD's is worth mentioning because you need to have the navigation DVD in the drive otherwise the map zooms out quite a bit. You can use the nav with CD's, but you have to program the route before you take the nav DVD out. Unless you still use CD's this doesn't matter.

The D3 is good for someone looking primarily for the following:
-Good all-around unit (there are no major negatives other than the CD thing)
-decent easy to use nav system (even though there might be better systems out there)
-very customizable appearance (can look almost oem)
-lots of features with the right hardware (xm, sirius, xm navtraffic, backup cam, aux inputs, ipod, bluetooth, etc.)
-slick ipod interface (can play video from ipod, except on the newest gen ipods)
-plays dvd and video in a variety of formats (can play while moving if you do a really simple mod)
-ability to add a lot of video and audio ins for whatever you want

I use my nav about once or twice a week and I have no real complains. It has always gotten me where I need to go. I am totally happy with this headunit. No headunit is going to be perfect though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts