Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got hooked up with the Rallitek's stage 3 kit: AVO 380 turbo, Cobb TBE, Cobb AP, AVO top mount intercooler, 750 cc injectors, AV0 fuel pump. I also got the Rallitek/AVO short ram intake( I would buy that just for the sound by the way!!) and also the AVO BOV. The intake and BOV were not required, but what the hell. I couldn't be more happy with my setup. My car is stupid fast right now!! Sounds freaking killer!! And the most mind boggling thing is how efficient my car is now. I thought I would loose efficiency but I actually greatly improved the gas mileage I am getting. First let me say my car has been baseline tuned. Sean at Rallitek tuned my car and right now I am using only 15 psi on the new turbo(that is the least amount of boost I can run on this turbo). Eventually Sean wants to have Cobb build a custom map for my mods so all you guys in other states can mod to a stage 3 setup and reflash with Cobbs custom map. So when I get done with the custom tune, I should be yielding around 340 whp with 327 ft/lbs of torque. Now back to the efficiency thing it is unreal how much better my car does on gas. I drove home from work last night and for the first 10 miles I drove like grandma staying at 60 mph on the freeway. I looked at my fuel economy meter and I was at 39 mpg!! Once I got into safe territory on the freeway I started putting the turbo to the limit. I dropped down to third and very quickly got up to 90. I Did that a few more times and kind of mixed it up a little with the driving, punching the gas here and there when I thought I could get away with it. My trip home is about 30 miles with about 10 miles being on a road that bounces back and forth from 35-45 mph. At the end of my trip I was at 28.5 mpg. I couldn't believe it. I drove the same route tonight, driving maybe a little less crazy and I ended up with 32.4 mpg!! [email protected]#$%* real!! If I drove like grandma the whole time I could have probably gotten high 30's!! Anyway I dealt with about 3 local tuning shops here in Portland, OR and I didn't care for any of them until I talked to the guys at Rallitek. Sean, along with the other staff members are really cool guys who are very passionate about building/modding Suby's. Sean has taken plenty of time to explain the science of how everything works which is great because before I have been talking with him I knew very little. To finally conclude, I HIGHLY reccomend stage 3 and Rallitek as well. If you have never dealt with Rallitek they offer superior customer service, and have a well educated staff who know their Suby's!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Glad to hear about your new setup. Certainly sounds fun. I would go with something like that, though the 380 is a little bit larger than I want to go. I wish they sold one that was one step down from the 380. I really haven't ever heard any negative things about rallitek. I read something about the 380 once where someone complained they weren't getting as much power out of it as they should have, but that's about it. I wish they sold more stuff that I was interested in.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Very Interesting... I just started to toss around the idea of Stage 3... (Research Stage) If I could justify a huge savings in commute cost I just might get it past my wife! ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Whenever you can please post up the charts :)
I'm exited to see how much you gained with this setup.
Thanks and glad your happy, certainly seems like a great car to drive.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Great to hear,

That's close to what I'm looking to push my build to as well...

If you don't mind me asking all said and done what did it cost ya?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Great to hear,

That's close to what I'm looking to push my build to as well...

If you don't mind me asking all said and done what did it cost ya?

^^^^ That was going to be my next question... This is what I have come up with, granted this is after Stage 2...

AVO 380 1,800
AVO TMIC 800
Injectors 660cc 700
Fuel Pump 245LPH 100
BOV 300
Tune 300

am I even in the ball park...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Very Interesting... I just started to toss around the idea of Stage 3... (Research Stage) If I could justify a huge savings in commute cost I just might get it past my wife! ;)
Yea lets spend 4K$ on the car so we can save on fuel darling ! :p

and about that AVO380... do you feels more lag with it ?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yea lets spend 4K$ on the car so we can save on fuel darling ! :p

and about that AVO380... do you feels more lag with it ?

Works for me!!!! ;D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think around 4k is close to what I spent in parts, but I had Rallitek do all the work. I figure best to leave it to the pros as I'm not really that much of a grease monkey (wish I was). I also got the Rallitek front and rear sway bars with end links and the Cobb lowering springs. Another very worthwhile mod! Rallitek did a superb job with the installation of the parts. As for the question on the lag of the 380: It spools almost as quick as stock. The slight amount of lag is made up for as the 380 QUICkLY humps the redline!( I must say that is a line I stole from a third party source who was reviewing a Rallitek modded Legacy GT. I also borrowed "stupid fast"). My car seems to actually pull hard as hell off the line. Anyway there is a HUGE amount of difference between stages 2 and 3. Stage 3 is much faster and much more efficient. I noticed at stage 2 I lost a little efficiency, but at stage 3 it has much improved. I can't believe I am stomping on the gas and still getting excellent gas mileage! I'm wondering what my car is goinng to feel like with an extra 40 whp. I shall know soon enough....probably within a couple of weeks, and I will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the feed back and questions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, also there are no charts now. The tune Sean did for me is a baseline tune and it would be an approx. 300 whp. This figure is an estimate which is probably pretty close as Rallitek has modded other 08's with similar equipment. Eventually when I have the protune from Cobb I should have some charts and I will deffinately post up.

·
Registered
519 Posts
With the AVO TMIC do you use the stock ducting under the hood or is that removed to accomodate the larger intercooler?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd also like to hear how the AVO380 performs in terms of low-end response (lag) over, say, the stock TD04, a VF40/46, etc. The 380 has been what I've been wanting too but I'm concerned about lag.

Rob

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't really notice the lag to much over the stock td04 turbo. I still have just the baseline tune for my list of mods but I plan on getting the fne tune done hopefully with in the next couple of weeks. I will be anxious to see what an extra 40 whp feels like. I'm not sure about this, but if after the fine tune I am running 20 psi of boost rather than the minimum of 15 psi I am currently running, then I'm guessing the lag should be reduced a little more. I'd be curious to see what my track times would be on the 1/4 mile. I will probably have to give it a go one of these days, but I should at least wait till I get my extra 40 whp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on the turbo!

I just had the same one installed on my auto-tranny WRX. Did the pro-tune yesterday.

Tim Bailey got this for me on his Mustang dyno:
258bhp
261whp
[glow=red,2,300]350[/glow]wtq :eek:

I was expecting a better hp gain with the AVO 380, but I'm driving an automatic transmission, so I'll just settle for the uber-torque ;D

·
Registered
44 Posts
^Cthulhu... what other mods did you do along with the turbo?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
22 Posts
^Cthulhu... what other mods did you do along with the turbo?

thanks in advance
AVO TMIC and 380 turbo
ProTorque torque converter
Invidia catless DP
Cobb TBE
AP2 with pro-tune by Tim Bailey

Over on NASIOC someone tipped me to IPT. If you want a torque converter for your A-T, I would look at them as well

[NOTE: This graph shows measurements at the wheels, so only the torque curve is accurate--the horsepower and boost curves seem to be an average between what the rollers are measuring and what the engine is putting out.]

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Congrats on the turbo!

I just had the same one installed on my auto-tranny WRX. Did the pro-tune yesterday.

Tim Bailey got this for me on his Mustang dyno:
258bhp
261whp
[glow=red,2,300]350[/glow]wtq :eek:

I was expecting a better hp gain with the AVO 380, but I'm driving an automatic transmission, so I'll just settle for the uber-torque ;D
The OP has quite a stretch to go if his goal was 340-350whp. I saw your charts Cthulhu you're already at 18psi and the OP is only gonna go to 20psi for additional 80whp. :eek:
Granted the TC threw of the dyno, this would only skew the power transfer at rpms load hence your funny looking graph right? Peak points should still be the same.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
On that note: I am hoping that snow gets the numbers he wants or stated so we know whats missing between the two of them. Does the AT really lose that much on the transfer?
300whp baseline @15psi
vs 340whp @20psi

Also granted this is a Mustang dyno the hp heartbreaker but tq lover I am still curious.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
1 - 20 of 80 Posts