Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i better off getting a HKS panel filter or an AVO intake with a POD filter on the end? Keeping in mind that I wont be getting it tuned afterwards. Thanks

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Am i better off getting a HKS panel filter or an AVO intake with a POD filter on the end? Keeping in mind that I wont be getting it tuned afterwards. Thanks
What are you looking for?
Panel 2whp increase but no heat soak issues
AVO lots more power but heat soak issues
CAI lots of power no heat soak issues

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want the sound of the intake but dont want to lose any more power. By heat soak im guessing you mean that it will suck up hot air from engine bay? Is the cold air one just the one that goes down into your bumper with the heat sheild?

Also if im not going to tune, is it still ok to put this type of set up on or is it better to just go with the high flow panel filter?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I want the sound of the intake but dont want to lose any more power. By heat soak im guessing you mean that it will suck up hot air from engine bay?
Yes
Is the cold air one just the one that goes down into your bumper with the heat sheild?
Yes but it can be without a shield like Perrin, Ultimate Racing, or Harman Motive

Also if im not going to tune, is it still ok to put this type of set up on or is it better to just go with the high flow panel filter?
It should be fine as long as no other power adding mods are done to the car i,e. Downpipe boost controller, etc. That being said, since the DP and increasing boost require a tune anyways, grab the CAI for now

Hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that helps, if it starts surging or playing up ill just put air box back on. Thanks for your help man.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What did you go with? Im thinking of the HKS drop in cause its cheap as, and heaps of people on here dwear by the air box standard.. Ive always been a pod guy so Im not sure and curious as to whether a drop in does ANYHING!?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
What did you go with? Im thinking of the HKS drop in cause its cheap as, and heaps of people on here dwear by the air box standard.. Ive always been a pod guy so Im not sure and curious as to whether a drop in does ANYHING!?
I'm running a CAI tuned and had the K&N and Perrin panel on current and previous STi. 10-12whp gains from tuned map.
I've seen 20-30whp on untuned map with boost increases of about 2.5psi and leaner fuel mixures leaning towards high 11s-12s.
Throttle response increases a bit but hp max is 2whp for Perrin/HKS foam and about 5whp for non-oiled or other cotton types (Blitz, AVO)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts