Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
( AVO short ram intake review )
i just install this intake today and i would have to say its great easy install good sound and power
before i was boosting 16.2psi now im 17.3psi at least 10-15hp i feel the turbo spool faster and harder too
hope this will help you guys who are looking for a intake

·
Registered
91 Posts
I love my AVO intake. Not sure if i got that much gain but i know i got some. You hear the turbo spoooooooooool so much which is nice and also hear the bov much more. I am sure with other right mods the power is there. As for AFR it does not make that much of a differance and if anything it helps you mpg. I would say if you are just running the intake you should have no worries.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got a couple mods done and more to come too but im keep out of the boost most of the time afr is leaned out some so i dont know whats safe for readings but im going to be geting tuned in a month or so i wont be driving with out a tune for long

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
unless someone is data logging or a company has the data, no one knows for sure what the effect on AFR is. Lets not forget, from the factory, the WRX runs very lean at WOT in the lower engine speeds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aug 11 im geting tuned at P&Lmotorsports ;D

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i got a couple mods done and more to come too but im keep out of the boost most of the time afr is leaned out some so i dont know whats safe for readings but im going to be geting tuned in a month or so i wont be driving with out a tune for long
that is a interesting mod list, you are still running a stage II map, which should help your over all AFR...

I would say a acceptable stage I AFR reading WOT = 11 - 11.5 and idle = 14.5... I am assuming about the same for stage II.

generally what AFR readings are you seeing?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think it a little over 12

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my accessport dyno thing says 325hp and 325 tq after air intake 382hp and 344tq flywheel

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Personally I am not a huge fan of the AP "Dyno"... I think it runs very high... installing an intake gives a 57hp or a 17% bump... I don't know... that seems like alot to me.

You are getting a tune on the 11th... I would get a baseline before the tune and see if the base AP numbers are accurate. They say you lose 20% getting the power from the flywheel to the ground, you should be looking at around +/- 305WHP or the AP Dyno numbers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i use the ap dyno more as a guide to where im at for power and im thinking more of a 25 % drivetain loss
ill be happy to see 255-275hp and 350tq+ im crossing my fingers

·
Registered
651 Posts
question- the intake I'm seeing from AVO appears to be almost a hybrid between a CAI and a short ram- it isn't running clear down to behind the fog lamp like some CAI, but it appears it makes into the wheel well (beyond most short rams)>

do I have this wrong? or do they make a couple of different intakes for the 08?

I like the idea of getting some cool air out of the wheel well (and not being as exposed to underhood heat as a "normal" short ram) w/o the risk of soaking up a lot of moisture when the filter is at near ground level

this is where I'm getting the idea of it being a hybris- talks about sourcing air form the wheel well

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_210_213&products_id=485

thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the short ram intake is right at the opening of the wheel well so im not worried about water in the intake and still benfit from the fog light opening

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its just to bad the acessport lies to us

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I wouldnt rely on the AP dyno thing. I dont have 1st hand experience but from what I read at cobbforums and NASIOC, it's very inconsistent even if the person does several pulls on the same car, same road, same conditions.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I wouldnt rely on the AP dyno thing. I dont have 1st hand experience but from what I read at cobbforums and NASIOC, it's very inconsistent even if the person does several pulls on the same car, same road, same conditions.
G meters are only so accurate but hey at least its not off by like 50hp or some ridiculous number like that so you should at the very least be able to take a rolling average of your numbers for comparison given each mod you do.
Nice to have something of a starting point.

·
Registered
651 Posts
wow, so AFR's worked out? I'm surprised... good for you!
has this not been the case for most folks (or you personally?) ? curious why you post that, would be good to know if folks were seeing skewed AFR's w/ this intake

thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts