Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips? fwd,rwd is pretty simple. Will be my first time tomorrow in an AWD
Im not looking to break anything. I'm TP Stage 2 and have the LC at 3700 right now. Dunno if that'll do for the track or not. I plan on just going up and running it as is, not even adjusting tire pressure. After a few runs I may use the FFS but I'm still a little leary on using it during the 1-2 shift.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Just be sure to slip the clutch rather than dump it. Just slip enough to keep from bogging. It should probably take you 1-1.5 seconds to become full engaged and WOT. Just remember "smoooooooooth" unless you want to buy a new tranny.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just be sure to slip the clutch rather than dump it. Just slip enough to keep from bogging. It should probably take you 1-1.5 seconds to become full engaged and WOT. Just remember "smoooooooooth" unless you want to buy a new tranny.
Ya I've heard that. I have LC set at 3700 right now. I probably wont use it at first like I said but it seems alot easier to do with it on.
My neon would spin all the way thru 1st and part of 2nd launching at 3500 with azenis tires. Im so glad I got slicks now.. let the 5000k launching and axle snapping begin!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i tried about a month ago. didnt go too well. i let the clutch out to quickly and roasted the clutch. thats enough launching for me. clutch felt funny for a day or too. back to normal now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like to slowly let the clutch out till i just start to move forward then push in just a bit so its not engaged. Hold the RPM's about 3500-3800 then smoothly clutch out and gas in.

Doing it this was i was hitting 1.6 60' times at an autox driving school in an 06 stg2 wrx. No clutch burning and no tranny issues at 107k when i sold it.

If your at a 1/4 mile though (and of course you are b/c no one street races) you have to really know where you are or you'll deep stage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i tried about a month ago. didnt go too well. i let the clutch out to quickly and roasted the clutch. thats enough launching for me. clutch felt funny for a day or too. back to normal now.
+1. Exact same story for me. I wouldn't launch these cars unless you want to buy new parts. I'll happily take my car to the road course, but I won't drag it.

BTW, FFS is awesome and works well. I have mine set at 5k. I don't use the LC. I feel I can get a good solid fast stat by throttle blipping on my own.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Have you ever slipped the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear to build some boost while passing? Same feeling, same dynamic you're looking for in your launch.

FYI I've launched ~20 times, stock clutch, 2008 stage 2 E85. Clutch feels like new still, matter of time though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I took it easy launching, Best was a 1.9 60ft

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
899 Posts
2010 WRX Drag Racing

Woah, I was all anxious to see the sti vs wrx race, took to long :p Were there any mods on the sti?
From what I heard from him it had an invidia turboback and an opensource tune.
But, it's getting a ton more done to it soon enough and tuned on E85 by Nate @ TPG Tuning. Who is one of the best tuners around so I've heard
http://www.tpgtuning.com/
Oh dang, I can't wait to see a round 2 lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2010 WRX Drag Racing

Woah, I was all anxious to see the sti vs wrx race, took to long :p Were there any mods on the sti?
From what I heard from him it had an invidia turboback and an opensource tune.
But, it's getting a ton more done to it soon enough and tuned on E85 by Nate @ TPG Tuning. Who is one of the best tuners around so I've heard
http://www.tpgtuning.com/
Oh dang, I can't wait to see a round 2 lol.
Probably wont by a round 2, this is my daily. maybe when I buy my vette :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, haha.. Of course a vette ::)
I've always wanted a WS6, but why buy that when I could just get a C5 or C6? :)
I'm gonna need a big detached garage when I buy a house

·
Registered
142 Posts
I launched at 3500 and got a 1.7 60' with TP Stage 2.

With launch control set to 4800rpm, best I could do was 1.8 60' but a 1/4 mile time of 12.9 @ 104.34

Shifting points were 1st gear 6500, 2nd-4th 6000.

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i read off of car and drivers mag they launched it 6500 and let out the clutch and hold on for the ride. thats how they got there 4.7 0-60 and 13.5 @102 quarter mile. in the handful of times i have needed to launch the car that way it was sooo sweet . the trick is to not dump the clutch but to feel out the car how fast to release the clutch. do not let the clutch out to slow because then you will smoke it more than you have to. i have 29000 miles on the car and was broken in well. no replaced clutch yet. also my car is almost completely stock . i hate forgetting to turn off the traction control too . if your car has a tune then you have to learn what is your best rpm to launch it from because it will change

·
Registered
191 Posts
Awesome runs man!

I hope to hit some 12's this summer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use 4400 rpm as my launch point, traction control off, and I let out the clutch quickly rather than dumping it. I shift 1-2-3 at 6900rpm, and 3-4 shift at 6600rpm

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wooow what kind of power curve and tune do you have to shift so highly ? That's cool if you have the power but these cars tend to drop off in the higher gears past 6000. Also your internals , are the beefed up ? That's alot of wear on your engine. I would be careful if you havnt done anything internal man .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts