Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so it was like friggin 100 degrees out yesterday and i was driving home from work with the ac on, i decided to put the windows down and turn the ac off, as i did so i noticed a diffrence in engine note. So i clicked the ac on and of a few times and noticed i lost power when clicking it on and gained when turning it off. Ive never had this happen in any other car ive owned ( 3 sticks, 6 autos), just thought it was wierd. So back to the point dont use your ac use your windows ;D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Really depends on the type/power of the car. I had an 07 Honda civic ex and that thing just about had 0hp when the a/c was on. Forget trying to merge onto the highway. A buddy of mine had an 04 RX8 and that thing didn't even twitch when you cranked up the A/C.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
it has to be super hot out or i have to have some wuss im my car who dosnt like to drive with the windows down for me to run the A/C. I love driving with the windows down.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
it has to be super hot out or i have to have some wuss im my car who dosnt like to drive with the windows down for me to run the A/C. I love driving with the windows down.
thats right! IMO, it's a slight compromise for more power and better gas mileage. If I'm by myself, I almost always do not turn on the AC. I really dont sweat that much. I usually turn it on when my parents are w/ me. At that point, I dont need the extra power.
You know whats an even better mod? Removing the AC completely! :p

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
So yesterday i put in a new K&N filter in before my trip to tahoe, drove with the windows down and no A/C. I topped out at 30 AMPG!!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
It's pretty well known that AC hurts gas mileage and power. You can feel the difference in most cars.
x2.

It's called parasitic drag. That's why some people prefer turbo's over superchargers because you're losing a certain percentage of the power you're making because it's being driven by a belt.

I took the power steering off of my '00 Civic and it was a noticeable difference, albeit not worth it because of the extra effort needed to steer! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
The AC will cost you way more in power and fuel efficiency, but rolling down the windows will hurt as well. Windows down = flow separation at the pillar = more drag. Try it if you don't believe me. With the windows up, you'll get slightly better efficiency. That said, I drive with my windows down all the time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yep same, always drive with the windows down, unless i have a girl in the car cus they have long hair and u gotta make the ladies happy haha

i do notice a huge difference in power. u gotta give it more gas before letting off the clutch all the way and acceleration is a bit slower

·
Registered
549 Posts
thats why subies here in socal aint too popular with the mainstream market. its too damn hot here for a turbocharged car. we need diesel, too bad diesel fuel is too damn expensive in cali

·
Registered
549 Posts
thats why subies here in socal aint too popular with the mainstream market. its too damn hot here for a turbocharged car. we need diesel, too bad diesel fuel is too damn expensive in cali
i know what u mean
my gas
wat the hell!! you're pumping over 4 bucks already?! i fill up my tank today... it was 3.75

1 - 15 of 15 Posts