Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was -18 last night and I have to leave for work and my car took three times to turn over.. This morning I get up to leave for my other job its -12 and car barley starts anyone in cold climate have any luck with a better battery or am I just going to have to start packing my jump box?

·
Registered
954 Posts
So it was -18 last night and I have to leave for work and my car took three times to turn over.. This morning I get up to leave for my other job its -12 and car barley starts anyone in cold climate have any luck with a better battery or am I just going to have to start packing my jump box?
mine isnt too happy about startin in the cold either, and i live in NJ where it generally gets down to around 10-15 at night. i park in the garage overnight but iv noticed if i go somewhere and leave my car out in the cold for a few hours, it starts but a lil slower than usual.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I leave my car in the garage most nights. but some nights Im on call so when I get paged I have like 5-10mins to get to a station.. so I have to jump up and go and it does not like to start sometimes.. I think Im going to just switch to an optima red top or something..

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Old thread, but thought I'd share my experience.

My friend recommended "Optima"
Marketed to me as "This battery still worked when submerged in water, when my friends jeep went off-roading."
I went out and bought that as my next battery on my 95 Nissan Maxima. The first time I started the engine with the battery, it was so loud (compared to the old one). Good thing, quick start, no issues EVER.

I was so happy with it, I am going to buy another one for my subie (once the stock one dies out).

Nothing like jump starting Toyota Tundras on a cold day (and in less than a second). Of course good cables were also essential ;D

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have the red top in my trunk (relocated my battery) and never had a problem this winter with starting the car. got close to 0 a couple times and the car started right up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That is weird that you are having a problems. I live in Ottawa it gets pretty cold here in the winter -35F I think was the coldest I've seen. In Alberta it gets down to -45.
Any ways my car always turns over even when it is really cold. If your really concerned about it you can either get a block heater or a batter warmer bit will help in cold weather starting.
I have a block heater but don't always us it, either because I'm to lazy or I don't have an outlet.

My car is from the US so we should have the same battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts