Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I want to start by saying yes, I know these are BC Racing coilovers and they are not the best, not the worst, they function like needed (with the exception of this issue lol), etc. So theres no need to post up comments of "you bought BC coilovers and you wonder why theres a clunk", etc.

Now, onto the issue. As of the last 3 days, I have been getting a clunking/chattering coming from the front passenger side suspension. Pretty damn loud. Checked endlinks, tie rod ends, wheel bearing (test), checked preload (same as all other corners), all bolts (camber, camber plates, strut bolt and bolts holding lower part of coilover on all tight). Now, when the car is jacked up on that side with the wheel up in the air and using a jack to put load on the control arm so that the coilover compresses, the top of the spring (could be called the spring top hat, whatever it is, I dont know the name for it) can be moved around by hand, tilted, etc.

I know its a dumb question, but is this part of the coilover supposed to move around like that? I mean I can shift it side to side a little bit and up and down a little bit and it makes a clunking noise. Not as loud as when the car is driving obviously, but it clunks. Attached is a pic with the part that can be manipulated. Any positive help or input would be appreciated. Ive searched ALL about BC Racing coilover clunk issues and havent found an answer. Hopefully this helps someone else in the same boat as me.

P.S. No clunking anywhere else in the car. Meaning front driver side no clunk and was installed with same preload and same way. Rears make no noise at all.

/ End long story and cool story bro.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Wait...the top part can slide around and move? Tighten down the 4 bolts on the camber plate with allen wrenches. That part should NOT move unless you are adjusting the camber angle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The camber plate isnt moving, its the little almost cone shaped metal part thats connected to the spring that does. 3 bolts holding the coilover to the strut tower are tight as can be, along with the camber plate bolts. Camber was NOT touched since installation, nor was any camber adjusted. But when there is load on the suspension, the part pictured is the only part of the coilover system that I can physically move, more jiggle than anything, by hand. The spring doesnt turn (which is normal and good) when I try to move it by hand. So Im thinking that this may be a warranty issue with BC? Since everything else seems to be in place correctly and tight. Ugh, this sucks, the noise is LOUD when hitting any bumps or imperfections in the road, including dips, sharper turns, etc.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
You should be able to turn it by hand but not easily.
I would check the sway bar also.
I had clunking and it was because my sway bar was bent, then clunking again when it actually snapped.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I remember a while back some people checked EVERYTHING for the source of clunking, and getting a replacement from BC actually fixed the problem. So your install/existing components may not be the source...a possibility to look into as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I can jiggle it too easily. Because the metal part not only spins but I can move it a little bit in different angles, kind of wiggling it. So I def dont think it should be doing that. But then again, its hard to explain via text lol.

I think Im going to have to get ahold of CygnusPerformance about a warranty claim.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the same issue....if you havnt already there is a nut under the dampener setting knob. Make sure that is super tight. Mine came from the factory loose... fixed it right up

Sent from my HTC Inspire using TapaTalk

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
what he said. sounds like your top strut bolt is loose. you'll want to take an impact to it and get it torqued down lightly to keep your upper spring seat in it's proper position.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just had the same problem happen to me yesterday and it was the nut came loose like everyone else said. I jacked my car up and picked up on my tire and you could see the problem. Easy fix!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, guys! It sounds like its a damn good possibility thats what it is. Sucks I dont have an impact, but Ill def attack it with a crescent wrench and some brute force haha. Ill update this later if thats the case.

Thanks again, 3gwrx gods!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And... You guys are great. Took a 17mm wrench to it and kablam! No more clunk. It feels good to have the car back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey all,

I want to start by saying yes, I know these are BC Racing coilovers and they are not the best, not the worst, they function like needed (with the exception of this issue lol), etc. So theres no need to post up comments of "you bought BC coilovers and you wonder why theres a clunk", etc.

Now, onto the issue. As of the last 3 days, I have been getting a clunking/chattering coming from the front passenger side suspension. Pretty damn loud. Checked endlinks, tie rod ends, wheel bearing (test), checked preload (same as all other corners), all bolts (camber, camber plates, strut bolt and bolts holding lower part of coilover on all tight). Now, when the car is jacked up on that side with the wheel up in the air and using a jack to put load on the control arm so that the coilover compresses, the top of the spring (could be called the spring top hat, whatever it is, I dont know the name for it) can be moved around by hand, tilted, etc.

I know its a dumb question, but is this part of the coilover supposed to move around like that? I mean I can shift it side to side a little bit and up and down a little bit and it makes a clunking noise. Not as loud as when the car is driving obviously, but it clunks. Attached is a pic with the part that can be manipulated. Any positive help or input would be appreciated. Ive searched ALL about BC Racing coilover clunk issues and havent found an answer. Hopefully this helps someone else in the same boat as me.

P.S. No clunking anywhere else in the car. Meaning front driver side no clunk and was installed with same preload and same way. Rears make no noise at all.

/ End long story and cool story bro.

Thanks!
If you can move the top hat then the preload is off try setting them
all to 3 mm bc specs are 5 mm MAX not 5 and a few more turn I had them and had the same thing bappen when I got them on could be that the locking collars weren’t stakes in real tight and it loose too but it’s deff the preload I then since got fortune autos and then are about the same lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts