Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
interesting video! So that was made for SubaruOfDallas.com? They went all out.

joneSi

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I saw this vid a while back. It really makes me happy but I knew this was the case a while back. I watched my brother in his 05 WRX climb over 2 feet of snow no problem and on all season tires. I kind of laugh at ppl in their CR-Vs, Pathfinders, and RAV-4s that think they are so great in the snow but get stuck quite often.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well, I had a 2001 CRV with snow tires, and that was the best car I have ever driven in the snow, ice, crap etc. It may be a simple system, but -what- you have grabbing at the snow/ice makes all the difference. While this test assume zero traction in a particular situation that is not quite realistic. That being said, I'd rather have a subaru that will function in the WORST of conditions...then add snow tires to that. LOL.

BTW we have upgraded the CRV to an MDX and it is also good in the snow. Just not quite as good. For me, I'm sure the MDX has a better 4wd setup, but it doesn't have a separate set of snows. I can't wait for a WRX with snow tires...<drool>

joneSi

·
Registered
7 Posts
very interesdting, the most clear indication of a subies AWD capability I've seen yet. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Nice vid +1 for you :)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Well, I had a 2001 CRV with snow tires, and that was the best car I have ever driven in the snow, ice, crap etc. It may be a simple system, but -what- you have grabbing at the snow/ice makes all the difference. While this test assume zero traction in a particular situation that is not quite realistic. That being said, I'd rather have a subaru that will function in the WORST of conditions...then add snow tires to that. LOL.

BTW we have upgraded the CRV to an MDX and it is also good in the snow. Just not quite as good. For me, I'm sure the MDX has a better 4wd setup, but it doesn't have a separate set of snows. I can't wait for a WRX with snow tires...

joneSi
Tires are so much more important than drive system imo. If you don't have the tires to back it up then AWD and 4WD can be VERY dangerous (false sense of security), and often is.

I had an accord with snow tires, and it would go places that my 4runner (4wd) with AT tires wouldn't, in the snow anyway. The winter before last in Denver 32" of snow fell in the area where I lived in the span of only a few hours. Most cars were stuck, including jeeps, subarus, etc. I could drive right through it with my FWD and snows. In fact, I could drive through snow that the body of the car didn't even clear, like a snow plow almost. I got asked if that car was AWD a couple times that day (I was helping people push their cars out and stuff).

Put some snows on your subaru, or a car with real 4WD. You will have to try to get stuck (as long as you keep the width of the tire down). I can't wait till winter personally. I love driving in snow, and ski season. Though I still haven't decided whether or not I want to get new snows that won't get eaten up in slightly warmer weather, or if I should just mount my blizzaks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Tires are so much more important than drive system imo. If you don't have the tires to back it up then AWD and 4WD can be VERY dangerous (false sense of security), and often is.

I had an accord with snow tires, and it would go places that my 4runner (4wd) with AT tires wouldn't, in the snow anyway. The winter before last in Denver 32" of snow fell in the area where I lived in the span of only a few hours. Most cars were stuck, including jeeps, subarus, etc. I could drive right through it with my FWD and snows. In fact, I could drive through snow that the body of the car didn't even clear, like a snow plow almost. I got asked if that car was AWD a couple times that day (I was helping people push their cars out and stuff).

Put some snows on your subaru, or a car with real 4WD. You will have to try to get stuck (as long as you keep the width of the tire down). I can't wait till winter personally. I love driving in snow, and ski season. Though I still haven't decided whether or not I want to get new snows that won't get eaten up in slightly warmer weather, or if I should just mount my blizzaks.
Ok, so, maybe this is the wrong place (no...it IS the wrong place, but the thread is close to this)...with a set of snows on a 2009 WRX, am I in good shape for the winter? I'm a little nervous about a car with 200+hp in snow, even with awd...does VDC help this out? Just trying to figure out what to do here. I've read the older STis are good with snows, but I don't think I want $400/mo payments (plus buy snows) for an STi when I could get a WRX, be ALMOST as happy, and have $120 /mo in my pocket (plus buy snows). The only thing that would get me to that magical $400 /mo payment would be awesome traction in the snow...awesome being way better than a wrx.

Chanke4252 seeing as you have a WRX, mind filling me in on what you think here (ex. how was last winter?)

Thoughts from anyone else are certainly welcome...
joneSi

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
last year I COULD NOT GET STUCK when we got a really bad blizzard

I'm talking over a foot of snow on the ground every few hours

in fact, I was so bored, I drove to the auto show. the only other people there were other Subaru owners.

the extra power doesn't matter, but I'd recommend turning OFF the VDC when you're in snow... the computer will get you unstuck but I can get myself unstuck without the weird "grinding" noise.

subaru + snow tires = unstoppable.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
last year I COULD NOT GET STUCK when we got a really bad blizzard

I'm talking over a foot of snow on the ground every few hours

in fact, I was so bored, I drove to the auto show. the only other people there were other Subaru owners.

the extra power doesn't matter, but I'd recommend turning OFF the VDC when you're in snow... the computer will get you unstuck but I can get myself unstuck without the weird "grinding" noise.

subaru + snow tires = unstoppable.
Great to know, thank you! I had considered getting a LGT instead, just because it weighs more than the WRXs do. This was before the 09 was out. The 08 I drove that was stock was FAST. I was at first excited about the power boost, then nervous. The kind of power in the 09 (stock), while apparently little more than bragging rights (the car is barely 'magazine' faster...) is still a lot of power. Kind of makes me nervous... I know I just need to be careful.

Even with the open diffs it is ok w/o VDC on (and snows)? I had Hankook Icebears on my Civic Si and they were GREAT for that little car. Tons of traction, no problems on hills, ice...and on an open diff FWD. I'm thinking I'll be getting the Hankooks again. They still had tons of tread after 2 season in the snow.

joneSi

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
the vdc is great for climbing snowy ice covered hills. the system gets you moving instead of spinning out on steep hills. i probably have the worst winter conditions of anyone on this forum and i have not got stuck once last year. getting stuck for me will only come from sliding off the road but the wrx keeps you on the road so no worries. turn off the vdc and have some fun w/ oversteering slippery corners FTW! almost can't wait for winter...

·
Registered
700 Posts
i got stuck last winter. trying to climb my g/f's driveway with bout 10" of snow on the ground and i got a running start.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got stuck last year trying to plow thru snow... up to my window lol

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
i got stuck last winter. trying to climb my g/f's driveway with bout 10" of snow on the ground and i got a running start.
What kind of tires? (All season or snows?)

joneSi

·
Registered
954 Posts
whats the front/rear torque split on our cars?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Depends on the transmission. 50/50 for MT imprezas and WRX's I believe. The STI is like 41/59 I think (correct me as I'm probably a tad off). The AT's are a lot more front biased, though I don't know the number.

·
Registered
339 Posts
+1 on real snow tires.

Winter 1997-98. I was in Omaha, Nebraska. I had just moved there from the SF Bay Area for a new job (stupid idea, but that's another story).

At the time, I had a 1993 Camaro Z28 and a 1986 Corvette I had bought a couple months prior, to turn into a dedicated autocross car (BSP). It was still totally stock... L98 motor, 4+3 manual trans, etc. Anyway, I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak tires and mounted them on my spare autox wheels. I didn't want to drive the Camaro in the winter weather, and the Vette was pretty well thrashed already (which is why I got such a deal on it). Most of the paint was peeling, the leather interior was rock hard from cooking in the sun, etc.

So anyway... we had a pretty hard winter that year in Omaha. We had 8" of snow on Oct 27th. We a bunch more snow storms too.

I had more fun in that car than I did a few winters prior in my 1988 Subaru XT6 (winter 93-94). On an uphill slope, on snow-covered roads, I could ease the clutch out and start moving with no wheelspin to leave from a traffic light, when the Honda Civic ahead of me just sat there spinning.

On the snow-covered parking lot in my apartment complex, I could dump the clutch and hammer it... the wheels would spin for maybe two rotations, and then the car just lunged forward. No joke.

I could slam on the brakes and very rarely activate the ABS. It was just amazing.

The downside, however, is that the car handled poorly because the tires were so soft. The sidewalls were "wobbly" for lack of a better description. Fortunately, in the ten years since, winter tire tech has improved considerably.

But yeah, wow, imagine one of our cars with real Winter tires on it. If I had the $$ I'd get a set, except I don't expect to get to spend that much time in the snow with it... most of it will be in my 4wd truck when we go snowmobilling.

Rob

·
Registered
787 Posts
the vdc is great for climbing snowy ice covered hills. the system gets you moving instead of spinning out on steep hills. i probably have the worst winter conditions of anyone on this forum and i have not got stuck once last year. getting stuck for me will only come from sliding off the road but the wrx keeps you on the road so no worries. turn off the vdc and have some fun w/ oversteering slippery corners FTW! almost can't wait for winter...
algeria sure has alot of problems with snow... especially in summer!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts