Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best OEM replacement Rotors & Pads for 09 WRX

Hey all,

I'm trying to find out what would be my best option in terms of replacing pads and rotors on my WRX.

I've just hit the 100,000KM and I'm def in need of new pads and rotors. I'm not interested in a big brake upgrade since I've got no use for it nor do I have that kind of cash laying around. My WRX is my daily driver and my driving style is simple, I do alot of highway/city mileage I don't do much track & autoX these days but I do plan on attending a few events here and there, so with that in mind I'm trying to figure out what would be my best option.

I do like the stock braking system, but really wouldn't mind a better than OEM system.

So far the only thing I will do for sure is upgrade to SS lines and switch/flush my fluid to something better. I've read good things about SS lines.

Now I'd like to know what you guys would recommend for pads and rotors keeping in mind budget and street performace.

So far I was leaning towards Stoptech as they seem to have resonable prices and from what I've read they seem to be quite reputable.

Feedback, opinions and recommendations are most welcomes :)

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,

·
Registered
384 Posts

Hawk pads all the way around since its your dd. As for rotors you can look at EBC (usr sloted) or Centric who I think makes stop tech rotors.
Atleast your doing the right thing with asking questions, but you need to do research also.
I hate to say but you can also hop on nasoic and read Unibombers (ron) manifesto. Lots of good knowledge in it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Best OEM replacement Rotors & Pads for 09 WRX

I am personally not impressed with my Stoptech pads. I was on a budget when I needed then, and imho, are no better than OEM. I've heard a lot of good things about Hawk pads, and I've driven a few Subies with EBC Yellow Stuff as well as Red Stuff. I will be going with Red Stuff next time personally.

If you are looking for just plain basic rotors, can't go wrong with Centric.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I'm running the red stuff up front with there usr rotors, and they work awesome but the pads create alot of brake dust. Out back I have the stock rotors with hawk pads.

All in all you will find good and bad points to every setup, it's just what your willing to deal with.

·
Registered
900 Posts

I switched to Hawk HPS pads, Powerslot rotors (made by centric), with SS lines and ATE superblu fluid.

Loving it so far with my spirited driving and DD use.
Cold stopping is fine, essentially no brake noise.
However, I have yet to push the setup hard enough to start fading noticably, whereas it was pretty easy with the stock pads/rotors.

·
Registered
925 Posts

I have Stoptech Pads, dba rotors, SS lines and ATE fluid..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Carbotecs xp10's all around lol. I caught my hawks on fire. Lok

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
498 Posts

Carbotecs xp10's all around lol. I caught my hawks on fire. Lok

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I didn't catch mine on fire...there was to much smoke for there to be a fire!!! As far as rotors go, a friend of mine that races Miatas justs buys basic Brembo replacement rotors. If he ruins them, they are very cheap to replace.

·
Registered
63 Posts

08 WRX. I'm using SS lines with ATE brake fluid and stock rotors with Stoptech Street Performance pads. I like the pads. They dusted more than the OEM ones, but I don't care about that. I used them at one HPDE and they held up pretty good. I'm now using Carbotech XP8's front and rear with Centric rotors for the track. Last year they would fade at the end of the day and I used them for 3 track days. This year I get slight fade at the end of 20 min sessions. I may move up to XP10's or just get STI Brembos$$

For street driving, the Stoptechs work for me. Call Ken at wrxbrakes.com. He was very helpful when I was trying to sort this out.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

Heard nothing but good reviews on the Stoptechs. Higher heat range than both the Hawk HP+ and HPS in case you autox or road race. Recommended them to my buddy with an Evo and loved them over the OEM brembo pads. I'm going to be upgrading to those plus SS lines and ATE fluid very soon. My brakes just started making a slight squeal :-_-:

·
Registered
940 Posts

My HP+ pads are great at the track. OEM rotors, super blue and GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace. No brake fad running 20 - 25 minute sessions.

They suck to DD. Don't get me wrong, function wise they rock. However, the noise and dust sucks.

My buddy picked up stop tech and had minimal fade on the last track day.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Just get some NAPA rotors and hawk pads, call it a day if its just a daily driver.

·
Registered
302 Posts

I also have no complaints with the stoptech street pads on oem rotors. There definitely is no improvement in the dust category, as previously mentioned, but especially for the price I am very satisfied with their performance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, for DD I don't see the point in fancy slotted rotors or anything. I just found replacement front WRX rotors on Amazon for like $30 each. Good enough! I go with Autozone's ceramic pads, too, because lifetime warranty and I've had good enough luck with them in the past. No, I've never used them on the track, but on the street, they're more than capable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts