Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I know its one of those threads. Alright well my six pack of the blue filters is used up and I need to change my oil and wondering if I should keep using the blue filters or if there is something better with around the same bypass valve spring pressure.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
puralator pureone

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
08+ RX-8 filter has the correct bypass valve, fits (slightly larger capacity) and is made by Tokyo Roki (same company that made the old Subaru blacks). Props to Power6, I believe, whose post made me aware of this.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the filter from the rx-8 will actually work on our cars? Nice. Now that I think about it I remember seeing something about mazda rx-8 filters working on our cars. I am worried about it being longer an being by the exhaust manifold though. Has anyone used them yet?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
consensus over on nazioc is that the subaru filters are best. you can search it up over there if you want, here's one of the specific threads...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662838
Congratulations, you're citing the black Subaru filter that they no longer make. . .

Going down that path, I assume the RX-8 filter is going to be the best considering it is the same make as the old Subaru blacks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm gonna try the rx-8 one it wont melt or anything will it since its so close to the exhaust manifold ?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
consensus over on nazioc is that the subaru filters are best. you can search it up over there if you want, here's one of the specific threads...
Congratulations, you're citing the black Subaru filter that they no longer make. . .

Going down that path, I assume the RX-8 filter is going to be the best considering it is the same make as the old Subaru blacks.
actually, congratulations to you for not looking through the whole thread.

around the middle of the thread somewhere, they note that the black filters aren't made anymore, but the blue ones are, and start talking about the blue filters, the bypass valves, etc.

thing is, there's the whole bypass issue that some filters just don't have at ALL, and others where the spring pressure is not per subaru specifications. The blue filters meet all of subaru's requirements, the aftermarket and other brand ones (even the filters made by FRAM who makes the subaru filters) don't. the manufacturer means nothing, the filter has lots and lots of specifications that are set forth by subaru, not by mazda for a rotary engine.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Rotella oil isn't specified by Subaru but everybody uses it. Torqued Performance tunes aren't specified by Subaru, and plenty of people use those.

Point is, don't rule it out just because Subaru doesn't specify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
it's up to each individual person to make their own decision on what oil filter to use, but making a fully educated decision is crucial, hence why I posted the information. I have determined that I like the function of the bypass valve preventing oil starvation during startup, especially since I like to snowboard and very frequently park my car in below-freezing conditions where the bypass valve is being used. chances are good that the oil pressure won't ever open the bypass valve in normal operating conditions.

subaru has a VERY specific bypass valve pressure for a reason. You can chose to ignore it if you would like. I lived with a car that had oil pressure issues on startup for a year, which eventually lead to engine failure which was covered by warranty because of a faulty timing chain tensioner that relied on oil pressure. (08 mini cooper S) I have made my decision and would like to help others.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

around the middle of the thread somewhere, they note that the black filters aren't made anymore, but the blue ones are, and start talking about the blue filters, the bypass valves, etc.

thing is, there's the whole bypass issue that some filters just don't have at ALL, and others where the spring pressure is not per subaru specifications. The blue filters meet all of subaru's requirements, the aftermarket and other brand ones (even the filters made by FRAM who makes the subaru filters) don't. the manufacturer means nothing, the filter has lots and lots of specifications that are set forth by subaru, not by mazda for a rotary engine.
lol superfail. I don't need to read that thread again for the 5th time. .I know all about the subaru specs as far as the bypass valve, if you search I've been the one bringing that to peoples' attention in the past.

Fact of the matter is, is that the RX-8 filter has the SAME BYPASS VALVE with the same quality as the old blacks plus a larger capacity. So everything you're saying is moot.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
iirc, the concern about the blue vs black wasn't the bypass valve, as they're both built to the same specifications. i thought it was the surface area of the filter media, and the joint between the filter and the end caps. (fram loves their cheap end caps)

I have done zero research into the RX-8 filter, mostly because I don't see a need to. I personally would be skeptical that a filter designed for a Wankel engine would be significantly different in some manner than a standard piston engine of any orientation. Do you have information on all of the specs of the filter to show that it actually does meet subaru specs? backflow preventer? bypass valve pressure? entrance holes and diameters? filter area? I have a brother-in-law who has an RX-8 and he has been having issues with his oil filter not having a backflow preventer or something? He's been having issues with an oil flooded engine on startup, that's all I know. I just personally don't like the new renesis engine design, it seems to be so finicky, and am skeptical of anything designed around it.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Do you have information on all of the specs of the filter to show that it actually does meet subaru specs? backflow preventer? bypass valve pressure? entrance holes and diameters? filter area?
the information has already been posted above. here are some of the diagrams for the lazy.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts