Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the SPT Cat-Back for free from my dealership as compensation for some paint flaws. Ideally, I would like something a little louder, but for $0 I can't really complain. ;D So now I'm looking into my DP options and I wanted to know what the sound is like on anyone else's who has an aftermarket DP on their SPT exhaust. Just reading about the DPs I'm leaning towards Cobb, but I'm not sure as to how loud it is. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
132 Posts
COBB, Perrin, and Crawford performance are the only 3 downpipes that I know of that will fit up to the oem donut gasket. If anyone else knows of any feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Same as above with the adapter. Megan is catless though so a bit louder.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I put the TurboXs DP on my SPT, and I think it sounds perfect. It still has the rumble, but not much louder than the standard SPT. You can also hear the turbo spooling up, which is cool IMO. But I had to get some fabrication work done to make it fit, but it doesn't leak and I can still change out the DP's for emissions testing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
IMO all catless downpipes will sound the same because they are all just pipes. Variation in sound will come fron your CBE.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
^^^ Unless running a 4" vs 3" or 4" tapered bellmouth vs a divorced design or a cast type bellmouth vs single piece unit. ;)

Generally speaking though urabus is correct, most companies' designs are very similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I got the SPT Cat-Back for free from my dealership as compensation for some paint flaws. Ideally, I would like something a little louder, but for
So I got the SPT Cat-Back for free from my dealership as compensation for some paint flaws. Ideally, I would like something a little louder, but for
So I got the SPT Cat-Back for free from my dealership as compensation for some paint flaws. Ideally, I would like something a little louder, but for $0 I can't really complain. ;D So now I'm looking into my DP options and I wanted to know what the sound is like on anyone else's who has an aftermarket DP on their SPT exhaust. Just reading about the DPs I'm leaning towards Cobb, but I'm not sure as to how loud it is. Any help would be appreciated!
I can't really complain. ;D So now I'm looking into my DP options and I wanted to know what the sound is like on anyone else's who has an aftermarket DP on their SPT exhaust. Just reading about the DPs I'm leaning towards Cobb, but I'm not sure as to how loud it is. Any help would be appreciated!
I can't really complain. ;D So now I'm looking into my DP options and I wanted to know what the sound is like on anyone else's who has an aftermarket DP on their SPT exhaust. Just reading about the DPs I'm leaning towards Cobb, but I'm not sure as to how loud it is. Any help would be appreciated!
My Invidia (catted) mated with my Borla sounds awesome. Its almost a little too loud for some of old people who live next door to me. I'm almost glad that I didn't go catless because I would imagine it would be even louder. I gotta say, for my first Subaru, for a little 4 banger its got a sweet sound to it!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a UR catted DP mated to the SPT. It doesn't have a donut gasket but if you get a 3" flange gasket and some red RTV it seals nicely. I ran an Auto-X this weekend and it has no leaks. Plus that is how I had the DP mated to the stock exhaust before the SPT. Mine is a little louder than another WRX that had a stock DP and SPT. Also heard another one that had a Invidia (sp) catted DP and you couldn't tell a difference between mine and his.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My WRX with the SPT catback had a nice sound, but was overwise very quiet. I just added the Perrin catted DP this past weekend and it's gotten noticeably louder. I'm hoping it will quiet down after a few hundred miles, like the catback did. It's not obnoxious, but you can definitely tell it's louder/throatier.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Is everyone getting a "chick-chick-chick-chick" almost valve like ticking sound under part-throttle like 2-4k rpm after the addition of your turboback?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I haven't noticed it. I have babied and beat er' down and haven't heard anything of the sort.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Megan racing catless downpipe. It bolted up pretty well with the SPT CBE using a regular exhaust gasket and some silicon.
Downpipe new goes for under $200.
Sound clips:
neutral revs:

In car vid:

Drive by:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the response. im still undecided but i think im going to go catless. im looking for something with a bit of volume and i want a loud spool as well. i think it seems like the divorced wastegate fits what im looking for the best from what ive read.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Invidia catless --> SPT sounds pretty sick. Any more would be too loud for me.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
yea, thats what ive been thinking. does anyone else offer a divorced DP other than them?
If you want LOUD, look elsewhere in the CBE department.

I have the SPT CBE and Invidia catted... Sound levels are extremely well balanced, not a lot of cabin noise, but enough when youre on it. Turbo spool and wastegate flutter are present but still hushed by your mufflers...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is everyone getting a "chick-chick-chick-chick" almost valve like ticking sound under part-throttle like 2-4k rpm after the addition of your turboback?
You have an exhaust leak...check the downpipe at the oem donut gasket.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts