Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well whats up with the Koni's when they comin out. can you give out any info.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I visited w/ Lee (Koni America) last week and he advised me that the Koni (Holland) wants to do a 08/09 strut/shock but that it's going to be some time before they get it done. The "problem" is they (Koni Holland) want to do a full strut front, that's nice but is going to take a long time to get done :(

The good news is Lee is willing to work w/ us to get a insert/shock combo going. I'll be sending him a front strut and rear shock to him soon so he can get the measurements, etc he needs. He is thinking that they very likely have an insert that is very close (if not exact) already and that the shock will be easily made. I told him that quite a few folks are eagerly waiting a good aftermarket damper and the sooner the better :)

Mike

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the reply man. I can't wait to get my hands on some koni dampers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
im excitied for an after market strut! i have been thinkin about gettin my hands on some sti struts but... id like aftermarket ones rather then oem from another car.

·
Registered
651 Posts
^ that price doesn't include springs or tops either, that adds to the 2k.

they can revamp those struts to accept the lower oe perches so one could run stock (or like stock) springs, but that adds an additional $600 to the price tag and you have to come up w/ the perches.

as soon as I get the rear shocks (bought a used set) I'll be mailing Koni a front strut and a rear shock to see if they have something off the shelf that'll work (the LGT fitment might work :)) or if it's off to the drawing board

·
Registered
651 Posts
I sent Koni a front strut and shock today for fitting :). Probably will be after Christmas break before I hear something back.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool. thanks for keeping us updated with all this stuff. that is the final piece of my suspension puzzle. im waiting with baited breath.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd be up for a set too if the cost isn't too much. Any ideas yet if these will be adjustable like regular Konis, or fixed-spec?

Either will be better than what we have now. :)

Rob

·
Registered
651 Posts
they'll be adjustable- Koni Sports (yellow)- cost will likely be the same as other Koni sports- $600-650

·
Registered
651 Posts
little update:

they got to look at the rear shocks today- as expected the Koni LGT shock utilizes a different lower bushing, as expected the threaded pin is a different diameter on the Koni LGT vs oe WRX- the shock body is shorter on the Koni LGT shock by ~ 1" and the LGT shock has ~ 1.5" less of overall stroke- don't think that was expected

they're going to look at the front strut next week

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the update! I'm chomping at the bit for a set when they get them ready. :)

Rob

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as the two above me have said THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
quick update:

the guys are going to look at the front struts this week (they've been at Daytona the last week) - my hunch is the front insert (from the LGT) will fit perfectly :)

the rear shock (from the LGT Koni set) is not plug and play- the shock bushings are different- the WRX bushing is a little wider and the inner diameter is 10mm (vs 12mm for the LGT). I don't think this is going to be overly problematic as the oe bushings could probably be pressed in pretty easy. The LGT upper threaded pin is also a larger diameter than the WRX- this would require the rear tops to be drilled out slightly- again not a giant issue. if Koni commits they want it to plug and play, which means that they have to work up a new rear shock. I think this is something they will likely do- especially if the front ends up being plug and play which I think it will be (again just my hunch)
the guys are going to look at the front struts this week (they've been at Daytona the last week) - my hunch is the front insert (from the LGT) will fit perfectly :)

the rear shock (from the LGT Koni set) is not plug and play- the shock bushings are different- the WRX bushing is a little wider and the inner diameter is 10mm (vs 12mm for the LGT). I don't think this is going to be overly problematic as the oe bushings could probably be pressed in pretty easy. The LGT upper threaded pin is also a larger diameter than the WRX- this would require the rear tops to be drilled out slightly- again not a giant issue. if Koni commits they want it to plug and play, which means that they have to work up a new rear shock. I think this is something they will likely do- especially if the front ends up being plug and play which I think it will be (again just my hunch)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man i hope these things come out soon cuz i can't stand the stock dampers anymore.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Me too... the stock springs/shocks are holding me waaaaaaaay back in autox. :)

Rob

1 - 20 of 165 Posts