Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was only a matter of time before the stock clutch would begin to slip. Thought i would let everyone know.
Time to make a few phone calls and get my new clutch and flywheel shipped.

·
Registered
359 Posts
awww well first guy with an green and soon to be first guy with a clutch and flywheel. You're the man OGB !!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You had a green right?
That didn't last long!
yep FP Green.

awww well first guy with an green and soon to be first guy with a clutch and flywheel. You're the man OGB !!!
well, somebody has to do it. lol.

i am looking at the ACT Street Clutch and Flywheel Kit
or maybe the race kit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
so no more drag action for a bit. :'(

ACT puts out a clutch and flywheel? I didn't realize they released it yet.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no more racing :(
makes me sad.

it will be as good as new soon.

i was emailing a few people before i purchased my turbo. HarmanMotive says they have clutches for our cars.

·
Registered
717 Posts
on a bright side, it lasted longer than i thought...

·
Registered
519 Posts
I drag raced mine a couple of nights when I was in Vegas bone stock, and I didn't feel like the clutch would last long even just stock. And one day I was getting on it some from light to light with just the DP and it slipped a little and smelled YUMMY LOL! So I too am surprised it lasted this long for ya.

Seth

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does that burning smell mean something bad? It happened yesterday in 1st gear when I was climbing over some snow out of my driveway... :-\

·
Registered
359 Posts
basically when you let a little clutch out and give it gas you are " slipping" the clutch which leads to stinky smells and damaged flywheels and worn clutches. You'll know when your clutch goes out because you put it in gear give er gas and the car goes nowhere hehe.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
0000020415 said:
These clutches feel weak, I can definitely see how one would go out even without an upgraded turbo. I'm worried about how my clutch will hold up once I go tbe + reflash.
right before i put on the Green, i noticed the clutch was stinking pretty bad almost every time i drove it. That was when i was stage 2 + FMIC, meth, even more boost, and CAI.

should i make a new thread....
Bigger Turbo + ACT Clutch + Stock Tranny = FAIL... lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hah stage 2 rallitek map, tbe, cai, 17 psi..clutch shot. and keep in mind i have a dodge ram 2500 turbo diesel thats a stick with 180k on it and STOCK CLUTCH

·
Registered
239 Posts
0000020415 said:
These clutches feel weak, I can definitely see how one would go out even without an upgraded turbo. I'm worried about how my clutch will hold up once I go tbe + reflash.
right before i put on the Green, i noticed the clutch was stinking pretty bad almost every time i drove it. That was when i was stage 2 + FMIC, meth, even more boost, and CAI.

should i make a new thread....
Bigger Turbo + ACT Clutch + Stock Tranny = FAIL... lol.
This has always been an issue even with the old WRXs. Don't know if we got the 5 speed from the Liberty though?

·
Registered
339 Posts
What are our choices for aftermarket clutches that hold power? I really don't want something grabby. I love the feel of the stock clutch.

I also have a Dodge/Cummins... the stock clutch was NICE. But then I added power (a "Smarty"), and with the +60 hp mode, the clutch was slipping within 15 min at full boost (30 psi). $1800 later I had a South Bend Con-OFE clutch. It'll hold 500+ hp, but it's pretty grabby. Not nearly as smooth as stock, but certainly not as bad as the full Ferrite version...

Rob

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are our choices for aftermarket clutches that hold power? I really don't want something grabby. I love the feel of the stock clutch.

I also have a Dodge/Cummins... the stock clutch was NICE. But then I added power (a "Smarty"), and with the +60 hp mode, the clutch was slipping within 15 min at full boost (30 psi). 00 later I had a South Bend Con-OFE clutch. It'll hold 500+ hp, but it's pretty grabby. Not nearly as smooth as stock, but certainly not as bad as the full Ferrite version...

Rob
My ACT street disk is pretty much just an on/off button. Drivability is something you have to sacrifice if you start making too much power.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have a Dodge/Cummins... the stock clutch was NICE. But then I added power (a "Smarty"), and with the +60 hp mode, the clutch was slipping within 15 min at full boost (30 psi). 00 later I had a South Bend Con-OFE clutch. It'll hold 500+ hp, but it's pretty grabby. Not nearly as smooth as stock, but certainly not as bad as the full Ferrite version...

Rob
$1,800.... Ouch:( Why didnt you get a sprung hub 3250 DD? I only paid $1,100 for mine when they went on sale at DTR. You would really dig this clutch, the pedel pressure is lighter then stock and hold's 20psi boosted launched just fine behind my 475whp 03 HO. I was going to get the OFE but I couldnt pass up $1,100 and OFE's cant handle the abuse like a DD can. SMARTY POWER ;D

SlowSixSpeed

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well it was only a matter of time before the stock clutch would begin to slip. Thought i would let everyone know.
Time to make a few phone calls and get my new clutch and flywheel shipped.
Your sig seems oddly appropriate for the conversation:

"If you're not breakin' shit, you're not goin' fast enough."

·
Registered
339 Posts
My Con-OFE was $900, the new slave cylinder kit was $250 more (for the G56 tranny), installation was the rest. And I didn't know about anything other than the Southbend. Besides, having had a Southbend before, that's all I really wanted anyway. :)

Rob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts