Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thread History:
5/10/12 Car now owned for 5 months. Minor updates, stereo install started. Pretty happy with where the car sits right now, have an appointment for window tint next weekend.

2012 WRX Timeline:
11/05/11 Car ordered
12/10/11 Car Delivered
12/12/11 Defi & SMY GaugeCluster install
12/17/11 Winter wheels, Mudflaps, Front Lip installed. Radar Detector Hard wired to Homelink wiring.
12/18/11 Installed Cobb Double Adjustable Short Throw Shifter. Thing makes my car feel like a video game, it's awesome.
12/20/11 Installed WC Lathewerks Titanium Piston shifter, knurled and burnt blue finish 5 speed pattern etching.
03/30/12 TurboXS TBE exhaust, K&N Typhoon intake, stage 2 Protune by www.tpgtuning.com
05/05/12 Installed Pioneer AVIC x940BT HU and Axxess universal steering wheel control module, ordered JDM Double Din bezel

2013 Summer update time

4/19/13 - Car has 9990 miles on it now, about to turn over the big 10k, so we did some cosmetics.

Picked up a set of SSR GT2 19x8 wheels with 235/35/19 Kumho SPT for an very reasonable price.
Eibach lowering springs and a fender roll to tuck it all in.

IMG_20130419_145214_689.jpg

That's going to be it for the summer, I originally planned on doing coilovers and a full suspension makeover with bushings and sways and all that, but, it's not in the time budget.

====================================================================================================================================
This will be my third turbo Subaru in the last few years, but this is the one for the long haul. Going for an aggressive daily driver setup. I only put about 6000 miles a year on cars, so I can forfeit a bit of comfort for performance, but it will be my only car, so, not too much. Also have a 2011 Forester that my wife drives and we use on weekend trips.

I've previously owned an 02 WRX and 04 STi, both PSM, so, first thing first, getting away from silver. I need a hatch for the room, since this will now be my only car, it has to be practical. dogs, bikes, hockey pads, luggage, etc
Timeline:

I've learned a good bit about these cars over the years, and it's nice to be buying a new car and having direction and no concerns over previous owner abuse. With my previous STi and WRX I didn't always know what I was trying to accomplish. I always had a second car when I owned them, so I never got them to where I wanted them, they were always in various states of completeness, but never 100% My goal here is to actually SET a goal, get there, and be happy with the car.

So the plan is to take delivery (hopefully sometime this year, but maybe in January, just depends on when the boat arrives. and put snow tires on first day, I've been keeping my eyes open for some used wheels, but will likely just be ordering some steelies with snows if I can't find anything. Will be adding some RallyArmor flaps and probably a front lip early as well (front lip for crack protection more then any aesthetic or aero reasons. I'll also install my gauges and short throw shifter early in the cars life.

After it's broken in, take it to the tuner to get a baseline and then i'll put on exhaust and intake and take it back for a retune.

Suspension is going to wait till next summer, hopefully I'll get a chance to ride in a few cars to get a feel for some different stuff, I had my STi to a point that I LOVED the suspension, would like to get back to that point.

So, after much debate between my wife and I, between WRX or STi, we decided that I would be better off with the WRX and taking some money and buying aftermarket parts, so I got the base, leaving me more money to play with in parts.

List of items I've already ordered:

Cobb Double Adjustable Short Throw Shifter
SMY Gaugecluster
Defi Racer Boost
Defi Racer Pressure (for oil) and the OEM Galley Plug
(if the ATI triple pod ever comes out, and looks good, I'll get it and water temp, egt, and a wideband)
RallyArmor Mudflaps
K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake
TurboXS Quad Tip 4" TBE

I also ordered the rear bumper cover and cargo tray from Subaru OEM

I will be adding shifter bushings to that that list, and still trying to think of anything else I want to do this winter. I plan on replacing the garbage stereo soon, but I want to wait for the next round of stereos to come out to see if there is any good android integration in any units.

So, no car, no pics yet, unless you want pics of boxes of parts sitting in my garage. I'm really excited to get the car and start the work on it. I'll post a couple pics from my previous subarus though I guess, because these posts are boring without something.

Have a picasa album that is comprised mostly of cell phone pics, so, nothing great:

https://plus.google.com/photos/112353387354799545419/albums/5675761767852918081

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Blinden's 2012 WRX Hatch. (Pending Delivery)

Got a delivery date of 12/14 from my dealer today, and ordered a cheap front lip, not for function or look, but because of all the horror stories I've heard about cracked front bumpers, hopefully that will help avoid that situation.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Re: Blinden's 2012 WRX Hatch. (Delivery Date: 12/14)

i have a brand new Stri EGT if your interested, im pretty much giving it away at the price im asking. PM me if interested.

Welcome to the forums, we are nothing like Nazioc so feel free to ask questions :)

Based on your subaru past you seem like you will be a great addition to these forums

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Blinden's 2012 WRX Hatch. (Delivery Date: 12/14)

I've always used nasioc has 'home base' and we have a huge local community there for the Pittsburgh area, but I always seem to find myself at other forums (iwsti, clubwrx, here) for more model specific info. I find it really helps the signal to noise ratio. Ask a question on nasioc, and you get 45 answers from people with 45 different cars who don't even pay attention to the vehicle you are asking about.

As for the gauge, thanks for the offer, however, I'm looking to keep everything in the Defi Red Racer family (save the wideband). I'm kinda nutty about having everything just so, especially in a new car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Blinden's 2012 WRX Hatch. (Delivered)

Took delivery today. Not really any pics to speak of.

Teaser:

Boxes o' Parts:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

listed them in my first post, but that's kinda long and boring, quick recap:

Cobb Double Adjustable Short Throw Shifter
SMY Gaugecluster
Defi Racer Boost
Defi Racer Pressure (for oil) and the OEM Galley Plug
(if the ATI triple pod ever comes out, and looks good, I'll get it and water temp, egt, and a wideband)
RallyArmor Mudflaps
K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake
TurboXS Quad Tip 4" TBE

[/size]Also got all weather floormats, trunk liner, and also added an ebay front lip. Heard lots of bad things about cracking bumpers, figured this $150 investment may help.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

LOL some one did not car much to use the warranty for a little bit haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Also found a set of old WRX wheels from an 03 for sale locally, going to pick them up tomorrow to throw winter tires on, probably get the windows tinted next week or whenever I get a registration sticker, gotta get a new stereo and then I'm done.

Probably not going to install the power parts until spring to be honest, I hardly put any miles on cars anyways, will probably take me till late Jan to even hit 1000 miles on the car. Then I'll get it tuned, so another $600 or so there and then I'm done for a year. the 2014 plan is to do the suspension completely, sways, coilovers, etc, but I ran out of money for this year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hate my garage. This is by far the longest car I've had in it and it's proving to be a real PITA, nearly took out the front bumper today...

Picked up a set of winter wheels off an 03 wrx today, hopefully early this week I'll be able to get some tires mounted and get ready for winter here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Gauges installed today. Hardest part was probably finding a good ground and tucking the wires cleanly.

Can't believe how easy alt removal was, running the wires into the cabin, etc, super easy

Not going to go too pic heavy, most people have seen this, nothing too special here.

Alt Removal:

Finished product:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Blinden's 2012 WRX Hatch. (Winterized)

Got winterized this weekend, 16 inch 02 wrx wheels with snow tread, got the mudflaps on, front lip on.

Also got my radar detector hard wired and looking to mount it off the rear view mirror this week, heading out to install the short shifter, and then that's going to be it until break-in is over, aside from getting tint done. Going to go to about 2000 miles, get oil analysis done, throw on my power parts and get a stage 2 pro-tune.

Also picked up a wc latheworks titanium piston shifter, knurled, blue with the gear pattern.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Blinden's 2012 WRX Hatch. (Winterized)

ohh nothing, it just needed to be pulled to get access to the oil galley. I used the stock sensor location.

I plan going through my posts when I get a chance and organizing my first post and taking some pictures and outlining what I've done a little better. Nothing ground breaking though, just trying to get a clean daily driver.

Also, just got back inside from getting the Cobb short throw installed, holy crap.looks WAY goofy with the stock knob, can't wait to get that latheworks piece in tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts