·
Registered
954 Posts
thats a horrible idea, youll blow your car up lol

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
thats a horrible idea, youll blow your car up lol
Uh, compressor wheel and other upgrades are pretty common (I assume this is what you were trying to link to). Lots of legacy guys run 18g compressor wheels in stock and stock style housings, and port polish upgrades are pretty common as well. I don't see how "you'll blow your car up lol" unless you totally neglect any sort of ecu tuning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i emailed blouch yesterday,nothin yet.yeah im not feelin spendin 16 for an avo,and my car only has 6000 on it so a vf 40 is cheap but used.u figure top mount, maybe injectors and fuel pump,yep and a tune.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I personally think you'd be better off just getting a legacy turbo. The cost to have your current turbo modified, versus just buying a used VF40 (or similar) in decent shape is going to be about the same, except that you will be short changing yourself and eating the stock turbo instead of having a second turbo available.

You will NOT need a top mount, or any fuel system upgrades to run a legacy turbo. They are only marginally (but noticeably) bigger than our stock turbo. Keep in mind that we have a legacy TMIC (and engine), and the same fuel system as the STI iirc. You could probably go even slightly larger and still not require any of that stuff other than the tune. If you are going to modify a turbo I would suggest using a legacy turbo or larger.

Once you start going larger than the legacy turbo, or running more aggressive tunes on turbos like what comes stock on the STI and what the 09 wrx's have, then you might want to think about a larger fuel pump. Injectors and TMIC won't really be necessary till beyond that point imo. Still, your tuner will be able to tell you when you get to the point that you need injectors, fuel pump, or a new tmic, and (assuming he isn't an idiot) will tune your car within it's own limits.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah u rite, the vf is def the better solution but now i keep thinkin about the seals in our topmounts.ive seen they blow from runnin too hard,and boost levels to high. im at 18 with a rallitek stage 2 map "94" so i m kinda worried,its my daily d.im stuck need more bushings under car anyway,rear diff,sub frame,and steering rack.i worked killa ot last week so im thinkin up pipe or avo turbo inlet.anywho thats where im at.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Again, we have a legacy motor, including intercooler iirc. You will have no problems running a legacy turbo. The issues you think you will have are generally experienced by people who have swapped in significantly larger turbos than a vf40. There is a HUGE difference between a stock VF40 (or other similarly sized turbo) and an 18g, 20g equipped turbo (or larger). Remember, the 09 WRX will come with an even more powerful turbo on the same engine.

When you start getting to around the size of the VF34's and the like then you can start worrying about actually needing supporting mods. Most people who throw on FMIC's or upgraded TMIC's (most of which are still on the stock turbo) don't need them. However, planning ahead in terms of mods is never a bad thing.

I for one won't be touching the turbo till I find a suspension setup that won't knock my teeth out, but will actually offer some sort of real handling improvement (ie. not aftermarket springs on stock struts, and not super-stiff coilovers). Tein SS-P's might be an option, and the EDFC is pretty bitchin, but I'd rather have a slightly softer springrate than they offer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that was very helpfull,thanx!!!!!i guess i will pass on top mount for now.yo i put cobb springs on,they clunked,took um off put pinks on,they looked stupid,my boy put coilovers on took my cobbs back.so i wrapped the cobbs with tein silencers like crazy and,,,,,,,,, they clunk.oh well looks like im doin bc's.anyway next mods will be r rear diff mount bushing,rear sub frame bushing,steering rack bushing,and aperrin uppipe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts