Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states my rear passenger side shock is blown.. I have the swift springs on and its been like 3 months but i know that shock has been blown since the 2 day the springs were on and as of yesterday i found out for sure that it was when i was changing over to my winter tires i seen all that wonderfull oil around the bottom of the spring and shock assembly.

So anyways lets get to the point, I havnet done any research on them but there has to be a set of shocks for a 1" drop on the 08 wrx out there right now. Please if anybody knows anything let me know...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thats interesting that you have a blown shock from the swifts. I too have swifts on my car and have no trouble or indications of a blown strut. Could you give a brief description of the symptoms besides the oil all over the spring assembly? Oh and about aftermarket shocks, I believe Koni is coming out with some soon, but I'm not sure exactly when.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a very noticeable knocking sound when you hit a bump... and its not like i bottom out the suspension, it was just like a day or two after the install i noticed the noise and when i changed over to my winetr tire i had a look and i seen the oil...

·
Registered
954 Posts
be happy its only 1!! i had 4 blown shocks with sti pinks with a total of 8k on the car. nothing is available yet, although i have heard that either tokico or koni (forget which one) is supposed to be comin out with a set in dec/jan. get coils ;D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if you guys want a stronger shock ... go with the factory 2009 WRX shocks. they'll be cheap (about $70 a piece from the dealer if they give you fair pricing -- or ask SubieGal from SubaruGenuineParts.com) and they're a lot stronger than the 08 shocks.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
if you guys want a stronger shock ... go with the factory 2009 WRX shocks. they'll be cheap (about a piece from the dealer if they give you fair pricing -- or ask SubieGal from SubaruGenuineParts.com) and they're a lot stronger than the 08 shocks.

They will last alot longer as the valving is actually greater than for the spring rates you are putting on.
Crap the OEM 09 rates and dampers pretty much match those of the STi +-5%.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm currently working w/ Koni in developing a set of dampers for the 08/09, hoping to see them on sale prior to the spring (fingers crossed)

for the 08 guys, the 09 oe struts/shocks are clearly a good option to look into, springs for that matter as well

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I heard rumors that the 09 OE springs are even stiffer than the 08's "SPT / STi pinks" springs... can't confirm or deny. they felt about the same.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I might try 09 springs and shocks on my 08 some time soon if I can get them cheap... but I'm almost interested in seeing what comes out first.

·
Registered
217 Posts
will i get better performance and a firmer ride with the 09 struts?

·
Registered
651 Posts
yes and more so by matching them w/ 09 springs (unless you already have uprated springs)

·
Registered
217 Posts
i got swift springs on rite now...

·
Registered
651 Posts
^ the firmer damping of the 09 struts would be beneficial w/ your springs IMO

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm going to pick up a set of the 09 Struts to go with my STI pinks unless Koni or someone comes out with inserts or struts before I plan and buy the 09's.

·
Registered
651 Posts
it definitely helps if you email/call the companies to help get the ball rolling, it took a long time to get the "new" WRX uprated dampers when it arrived here in 2001- I hope it doesn't take as long this go round.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've had good luck with KYB AGX, i'm hoping they'll come out sometime soon.
+1 I had these on my civic Si and they were MONEY.

joneSi

·
Registered
66 Posts
ugh, same thing happened to me, I noticed a hollow knocking sound coming from the drivers side front...and I looked at the shock and noticed oil running down the shaft.
I don't wanna go OEM again, so i'll just drive it until some Koni yellows come out for our car, I had them on my jetta and loved them

1 - 20 of 42 Posts