Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i just got off the phone with holmgren subaru here in CT. the first guy i talked to was a total moron. heres some of his comments to what i said.

"what you go and do that for?" durrr to lower the car, improve handling and what not.

"there not covered under warrenty" sir you are wrong they are a subaru part, they are covereed under warrenty.

"anytime you replace anything in the suspension it viods the whole cars warrenty." errr.... let me talk to some one else.

Then i got to talk to the service manager, first thing he said was " i have heard this has happened but havent seen one yet", when can you drop it off? I go in monday. Ok ill get the ball rolling on subarus side. kk see you monday.

He stated that they will get in contact with subaru and get the ball rolling before i get the car there on monday to speed along the process. He stated that when i drop it off they will put it on the lift, verify the struts are blown send a request to subaru then order and replace the struts with stock ones again, so im wondering how long untill i blow these. Still not 100% if there going to replace them for free though, we will see though. I will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Interesting. Ugh, this whole thing is a mess...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Nice hopefully this will work out for the folks having this problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wonder if the warranty is good if you decide to install the springs yourself. I would bet they wouldn't cover them for free. They would probably come up with some lame excuse that you messed something up during the install which caused the malfunction of the struts.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just got back from the dealer. They state that my fronts are gone, blown, kaput! the rears are weak. they are calling Subaru of america then calling me back with what they are going to do.

But on a side note i talked to a master tech and he said that all 4 are no good, he stated that if you can push the wheel up from under the car more than 3 inches the struts are no good.

ill update this thread after the phone call.

·
Registered
11 Posts
did they say why the struts were blown? is it because of the pinks themselves? or installation of pinks? or something totally different?

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm leaning towards installation (no offense clamsjager!).

My front struts are fine using the same installation instructions but I don't believe we had to use the vice grips on the fronts. The rears however were the first ones we did in the install and were a bit more of a learning curve.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did the front first, and the dealer didnt say anything about the vice grip marks, so i have no idea whats going to happen yet. I have yet to get a call back as of today.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did they say why the struts were blown? is it because of the pinks themselves? or installation of pinks? or something totally different?

thanks for the info.
They did not say why they were blown, The tech thinks its due to the shitty struts paired with the pinks, he also stated he loves how Subaru makes parts that break other parts when installed. he then said this happens all the time, meaning parts breaking parts.

I know it wasnt my installation, Ive done struts on more cars than i can count, ive been working on cars for about 11 years on my own and with my dad a few years before that. I also recieved a certification in auto repair while in highschool, and graduated with a scholarship in exelence in automotive mechanics. (im not saying im the greatest, but i do know what im doing for the most part, and some things im lost on, though im not going to lie i could have messed my struts up apon install, or due to air on the cylinders.( But who would have known about that? Struts are sealed presurized units so i have no idea how air would get in them in the first place, and everyone i talk to about the issue agrees and cant come up with a reason how air would get in there.) )

Ill post up once i hear somthing from the dealer, im going to call them around 2pm est if i dont hear from them before then.

Clammy out!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I finally went to the dealership today, and They ordered me new struts and they are going to install under warranty.

The only problem is they said if the struts blow again they wont cover it.

I'm deciding if I want to chance it or just put the old springs back in.

I mentioned that I heard they aren't a problem with 09 struts, but because of the warranty I think I'm getting 08 ones again.

I think he said something about putting the old ones back on and if in the future they come out with STI struts they would put them on for free. I'm not exactly sure what he said though.

I just came up with a theory about the 09 setup actually.

The struts are probably the same as the 08's and the reason for the stiffer springs at the same stock ride height is to help prevent compression, which is obviously what causes them to blow. They probably deemed that a better fix than having to manufacture all new struts.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
It's actually been confirmed that the struts have been revalved to handle the new springs. If they do end up blowing again this may be a viable option for you when 09 people swap out for coilovers.

Glad to hear teh warranty work worked out though.

Also if they blow again do not hesitate to send it back. You have the receipt showing they replaced it under warranty despite the springs. 3 times and it's Lemon Law time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I decided to put the originals on and get rid of the SPT ones.

I probably wont mess with them again unless a full SPT strut and spring package like they have for older models comes out.

I was dumb and used the vice grip method when I put them in, but I took every precaution to prevent marks by using a rubber mat and put them as high up on the shaft as possible. 3 of them are super clean, but one is pretty darn questionable. I'm sure they will bring it up, but wont have a problem with it as I'm sure it wasn't the issue with the other ones.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I am going in for my struts tomorrow. I have Cobb's on them, but my tuner (who works for the dealership) said they are pretty cool with covering things like this while under warranty!

·
Registered
651 Posts
if anyone gets their struts/shocks covered under warranty I'd make a pitch in getting them replaced w/ 09 ones- the cost should be the same so they aren't out any $ and the firmer valving should help. Can't hurt to ask :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
No need clamsjager, unless someone else has similar issues.

They just got 08 shocks as far as I'm aware of.

They said the reason the shocks went out is because they extended more than normal. Seeing as the springs themselves are shorter I don't get how that's possible.

One of the rings around the top of the shock was completely busted, but I would guess that's just from the bump stop ramming into it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts