Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Boost Addict's 08 WRX Project - Pics, Vids, Dynos - 233whp/334wtq

UPDATE

ORDERED!

IHI VF52 Turbocharger
PERRIN Top Mount Intercooler (Silver)

Parts due in 2 weeks, because the Turbo is backordered and I want it all shipped at once.

Expect a new Church Tune by the end of January 2009 and hopefully numbers close to 290 whp and 340 wtq!!!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

UPDATE

ORDERED!

IHI VF52 Turbocharger
Injen Cold Air Intake (Black)

Parts due in 2 weeks, because the Turbo is backordered and I want it all shipped at once.

Expect a new Church Tune by the end of January 2009 and hopefully numbers close to 290 whp and 340 wtq!!!

So much for keeping the mods simple (not that these are super-complicated, but you know what I mean). Can't wait to see what your car does with the VF52.

·
Registered
493 Posts

so my cobb heatshield rattles like a dirty whore!!!! I had to remove it , it drives me nuts, Did you do anything special to get yours not to rattle???

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

so my cobb heatshield rattles like a dirty whore!!!! I had to remove it , it drives me nuts, Did you do anything special to get yours not to rattle???
Oh my God, I thought it was only me!!!!

No... I tightened the lower bolt like 2 months ago, and it quit rattling... Again it started a week ago, so yesterday I tightened it again, but it still does it! Only under certain load and rpm... But yeah... do you think it's the wastegate actuator arm hitting it? It's my best guess at this point.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

UPDATE

ORDERED!

IHI VF52 Turbocharger
Injen Cold Air Intake (Black)

So much for keeping the mods simple (not that these are super-complicated, but you know what I mean). Can't wait to see what your car does with the VF52.

Haha. way to catch that one!

I don't know man, it just wasn't enough. I had a Speed6 that prematurely ended its life thanks to an unknown car that drove me off the road. The Speed6 was on stock turbo but ran 4 second 0-60s! I guess I'm just trying to fill that void. It made 284 whp and 307 wtq on Churchs dyno and was 450 lbs heavier than the WRX. So I fell immensely short in whp with the WRX, and the torque curve of the MS6 was flatter and more usable.

The vf52 should cure it. And thanks to the intake thread, I'm really contemplating keeping the stock unit, and just going with a drop in.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

merry christmas to you!

is it too soon to call dibs on that turbo when your lease is up and you return the car?

can't wait to hear how that snail works out for you!
Merry Christmas to you too!

If I do end up returning the lease, sure, you've got DIBS, but PM me with it so I have some sort of record (im bound to forget :) ) Title the PM: VF52 DIBS!!!! haha

Thanks man, I'm excited to see what kind of power we can put out!

·
Registered
493 Posts

No... I tightened the lower bolt like 2 months ago, and it quit rattling... Again it started a week ago, so yesterday I tightened it again, but it still does it! Only under certain load and rpm... But yeah... do you think it's the wastegate actuator arm hitting it? It's my best guess at this point.
I actually called cobb and told them aboiut it and he said i had the wrong on and they tested it fine and yada yada yada, but ya it still rattles like hell. I'm having a buddy spray mine with the heat protectent spray to see if that will dull the rattle but no matter what i tired it rattled like crazy! Freaking cobb.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Does the shifter look signifantly shorter after the install? Stock they look pretty giant.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

I actually called cobb and told them aboiut it and he said i had the wrong on and they tested it fine and yada yada yada, but ya it still rattles like hell. I'm having a buddy spray mine with the heat protectent spray to see if that will dull the rattle but no matter what i tired it rattled like crazy! Freaking cobb.
So are you running no heat shield at all right now?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Does the shifter look signifantly shorter after the install? Stock they look pretty giant.
Oh absolutely! Shifting the stock unit was like climbing Everest everytime you want to shift. Haha, maybe not quite that extreme. But yes, the COBB is adjustable both in throw length and height, independently. I did make before and after videos of the shifter, but iphoto for some reason converted the format of the before video and I can't retreive it. But I still have the after video of myself going through gear. I will post it up when I get home this evening and hopefully it will give you a better idea of what it's like.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts

Just had time to read your build Boost,

I had similar feelings with my 03 Eclipse, fully built 3.5L v6 out of a Diamante and a turbo pushing 350WHP...

Love this car, but I miss the old one haha...

Looks like will be having similar goals (pretty much identical)

Come January we'll see how we both end up...

·
Registered
493 Posts

yup no heat shield. Just because it's winter here , i will have to put something on there soon once it warms up again.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

yup no heat shield. Just because it's winter here , i will have to put something on there soon once it warms up again.
...and I'm assuming you too are looking into the SPT heatshield ;)

Which one of us will take the bite? hmmmm.... I'm wondering if it can be installed without the stock heatshield in place.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Oh absolutely! Shifting the stock unit was like climbing Everest everytime you want to shift. Haha, maybe not quite that extreme. But yes, the COBB is adjustable both in throw length and height, independently. I did make before and after videos of the shifter, but iphoto for some reason converted the format of the before video and I can't retreive it. But I still have the after video of myself going through gear. I will post it up when I get home this evening and hopefully it will give you a better idea of what it's like.
Madlife,

As promised here's more on the Cobb Short Shifter. Oh, and I was able to locate the BEFORE video too. Enjoy :)

STOCK SHIFTER & BUSHING

BEFORE

AFTER

AFTER

BUSHING INSTALLED

BEFORE VIDEO

AFTER VIDEO

·
Registered
209 Posts

The videos were great man. I'm definitely getting tired of the stock shifter lately. Does the bushing come with the shifter? If not, do you think it's a "must have"? Thanks a lot for all the info you've put up.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

The videos were great man. I'm definitely getting tired of the stock shifter lately. Does the bushing come with the shifter? If not, do you think it's a "must have"? Thanks a lot for all the info you've put up.
I think the bushings make more of a substantial difference in the FEEL rather than the shifter itself. The shifter will merely allow you to adjust height and throw length independently, which is great. But that means only the movement is changed. If you like the rubbery, yet comfortable, feel of the stock unit, but just want shorter throws and/or height, the shifter is all you'll need. But if you're looking to change to feel of the shifter as it moves from gear to gear and how positively it engages into each gear, the bushing will make it more accurate and give you more feedback.

The shifter and bushings are sold seperately, and it's up to you how you'd like to approach it. You can address one then the other and feel more individualized differences. Or you can upgrade all at once and have a 'night and day' new shifter.

On the same topic, I'm also looking into the COBB knob... Never really been a fan of aftermarket knobs, but there's something screamingly simple about this one that actually attracts me :) I'll have to find out it's weight compared to stock, if it's heavier, I'll most likely go for it.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

My recent thoughts on approaching the intake:

I have noticed that the claims for power increases on intakes for 08+ WRXs have been far greater than for previous models, but that's probably due to the intake leaning out the mixture and allowing the turbo to spin easier creating more momentary boost. Although I firmly believe that these big gains will slowly decrease to almost no gain on untuned cars, as the ECU will eventually correct the AFRs and keep things closer to the stoichiometric 14.7:1 as miles rack on.

Thinking more about it, I'm coming closer to a decision. I like the way the stock unit pulls air in from the gap between the hood and grill, in fact I prefer that over the fender well. It then travels to the air box, which I have no problem with. It's the corrugated S-bend that I feel can cause a pretty turbulent restriction at higher rates of air flow. Perrins Afta-Maf silicone hose appears to be a great solution for this!

So now I'm thinking, "Great, but why stop there?" Instead of the $300 I might have blown on an aluminum piped intake. I can do a panel filter, silicone afta-maf hose, and silicone turbo-inlet hose. Essentially create my own boxed-in CAI unit that pulls air in from the front and travels through a smooth, glassy silicon hose directly into the turbo! I'm teetering back and forth about the Turbo inlet hose, as it would require cutting of the stock hose to remove, but I'll brew on this idea for a while. Any input would be much appreciated.

STOCK 08 WRX INTAKE SYSTEM (Ram Scoop > Air Box > MAF > Corrugated S-bend > Turbo Inlet Hose)

PERRIN AFTA-MAF S-TUBE vs STOCK S-TUBE

PERRIN TURBO INLET HOSE vs STOCK TURBO INLET HOSE

PERRIN AFTA-MAF INSTALLED (looks like an 04-05 WRX though)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Call me crazy, but I think this Filter + Post MAF hose + Inlet hose will be a great solution for maintaining great low end grunt and allowing better flow up in the higher RPM! :) I'm kind of excited to giving this a shot and seeing how things fare. I put together a diagram earlier today and made a modded version... Check it out.

STOCK SET-UP

MODDED SET-UP Option 1 w/ Cold Air Intake

MODDED SET-UP Option 2 w/ Perrin hoses

I'm thinking Option 2. Any thoughts? :)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

My guess is that it would still primarily be for looks, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Increasing the functional surface of the filter is important imo, rather than just replacing hoses, which is where the cone-shapped filters will probably be of benefit. I'll probably go with some short heat-shielded intake at some point if I ever actually get one. The injen looks nice, and I already know roughly what to expect as far as how maf placement and the intake will affect afr, though the K&N one looks nice a short, which would be a plus for me considering the less exposure to the elements and the fact that is has a heat shield too so it doesn't just suck in hot air. It's not one of my top priorities at the moment though.

21 - 40 of 1937 Posts