Subaru WRX Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1937 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Boost Addict's 08 WRX Project - Pics, Vids, Dynos - 233whp/334wtq

More thoughts on the intake decision: It's filter volume that would be the biggest benefit from an aftermarket intake.

If no gain is to be expected from the drop-in filter itself, I know I can count on the PERRIN hoses flowing more quickly and effectively than the stock pieces. Whether that will equate to more power or not, is up for debate. I am in firm belief that the stock airbox itself will be more than sufficient for my 290 whp goal and beyond. And in fact, I do believe I might be leaving maybe ~5 whp on the table in the top end by going this route, but it just might be worth the sacrifice.

I've never been formally educated in physics, so I can't think of the correct term. Maybe you can help me out here. But I know that when you have too large of a pipe, or too much space, there is no immediacy for the air to flow through. It has something to do with the way the air is pulsed in. When a pipe is smaller and the space is used more effectively, the air has a tendency to flow through faster. Whereas if it's too large a pipe, you can have 'dead spots'. I also know that if a filter is boxed in, there can be a pressure differential which promotes more of a vacuum or ram effect. Please feel free to correct me or modify my thoughts here.

The Injen was the unit I was sold on, if I was to go with any aftermarket cold air intake. It's the one that I felt was done right. Great placement of the MAF sensor (least turbulent area), great idea in blocking off the filter from heat, and good idea in going with an un-oiled cotton filter. But if I can avoid the modified engine bay look, I'd like to. Also, I got pretty tired of the constant CAI noise my Speed6 would make under any notable load. Those long aluminum pipes can really become bothersome with their swirly, resonating swish sounds they make while delivering air. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate some induction noise, but the consistency and volume of it made me consider not going back.

The K&N unit looks like a nice and solid piece. I enjoy the fact that it's black and still has a surrounding heat shield. I also like that it doesn't sit in the fender well and can be exposed to in-coming air more readily. And although it's expected to increase induction noise, it's a short pipe that shouldn't lend itself to too much resonance. What I'm not a big fan of is the MAF placement, but of course, I am getting a custom tune, so that's probably not too big of an issue. Also, the filter looks to be the same a la carte oiled variety that come on all their units. I've had K&N systems in the past and have never had a MAF fouling issue (just don't over oil the thing :) ).

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

fwiw...
i am sold on option b as well. i am using an oil-less avo filter in the stock box right now but i will be ordering the gimmick motorsports hose combo from importimage when the time comes. i just found this one for an sti on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AGENCY-POWER-SUBARU-WRX-STi-02-08-TURBO-INLET-PIPE-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a10Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem300283471056QQitemZ300283471056QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

very blingy! too much under hood shine for me but it's another option for the sti guys...

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

fwiw...
i am sold on option b as well. i am using an oil-less avo filter in the stock box right now but i will be ordering the gimmick motorsports hose combo from importimage when the time comes. i just found this one for an sti on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AGENCY-POWER-SUBARU-WRX-STi-02-08-TURBO-INLET-PIPE-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a10Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem300283471056QQitemZ300283471056QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

very blingy! too much under hood shine for me but it's another option for the sti guys...
Holy Bling! At least you'll be able to check your teeth for food after lunch breaks with that thing.

I think I'm being lured to changing the intake itself too. Grrr. So fickle! Main reasons I wanted to stay away were sound and visual legality issues, I know in the top end it will be a little beneficial. The K&N unit is SRI, so less sound, and seems nice coupled with a smooth inlet pipe. Oh, have you checked out the APS unit? I'm going to see if they make them for 08 WRXs, APS makes pretty sick inlet hoses!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Quick update: K&N Short Ram installed today along with TREBLE RACING windshield decal. Will post pics and video soon.

Updated list of items that should be coming in by the end of next week (Yeah, I added a few more):

IHI VF52 TURBOCHARGER

PERRIN TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLER - SILVER

PERRIN RECIRCULATING BOV - BLACK

PERRIN 2-IN SHORTY ANTENNA

SPT HEAT SHIELD

COBB KNOB

SUBARU BODY COLORED SPLASH GUARDS

STI FRONT LIP SPOILER

SUBARU BLUE FOOT WELL ILLUMINATION KIT (ALSO AVAILABLE IN RED)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

Wow, should be a fun week when you finally get all that.

As far as the K&N, I've used them before too. I replace the filter with a dryflow filter of some sort. I'm not a huge fan of oiled filters. They just seem unnecessary.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Just had time to read your build Boost,

I had similar feelings with my 03 Eclipse, fully built 3.5L v6 out of a Diamante and a turbo pushing 350WHP...

Love this car, but I miss the old one haha...

Looks like will be having similar goals (pretty much identical)

Come January we'll see how we both end up...
Wow, I don't know how I missed this post! I'm sorry.

That sounds pretty impressive out of your DSM. Those cars can really be monsters when built. Have any pics of her?

And happy new year :)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Wow, should be a fun week when you finally get all that.

As far as the K&N, I've used them before too. I replace the filter with a dryflow filter of some sort. I'm not a huge fan of oiled filters. They just seem unnecessary.
Oh, no doubt. I'm already going to be insanely busy with work, let alone our BETA start for the business... Now I have all these parts to worry about installing. Hopefully, I can get them all done early in the month and get the car tuned by mid-January. Then I'll be able to focus on other things like fine tuning the business before official launch.

I don't have a big issue with the oiled filter. I've owned K&Ns in almost every car I've had, and I've never over oiled it. With all the hype though, I started to second guess myself. The oil gives something for the dirt to stick to, and they just get more and more efficient as they get dirty. It's a design that works. I'll probably replace with some sort of dry flow in the future if a nice one comes along, as the peace of mind certainly wouldn't hurt :)

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts

Haha not as impressive as it might seem...

The 3g eclipses could run MAYBE 7-8psi on their stock block without blowing the motor...

I think I've got some pics on this computer somewhere...

This pic was right after the built motor swap/drive train install and pre-turbo...

I needed more room, paint was fading (also no the hazy hood - my brother surprised me when I was getting custom sub boxes made and got my hood repainted... He didn't wait till it was fully cured and it rained when he had it in the back of his trunk), and didn't want to delve into the headache of killing wheel hop so I sold it pretty soon after I put the turbo on...

haha this is what my hood looked like up close...

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Maryland, woo hoo! I'm from Baltimore. Hey, no less, it was still a pretty nice ride! So unfortunate about the paint work. To be honest, it's an interesting finish when it got rained on. Maybe not a nice finish for a car, but interesting to know what rain would do to uncured paint, haha.

----

So I installed the K&N Typhoon, and it was a very straight forward install with minor surprises. I will post up detailed pictures of the install sometime soon when I have more time. But all in all, it turned out great. The fitment and construction of the unit are excellent! It's a very nice piece and was a great choice for what I was looking to accomplish. I have recently ditched the idea of the turbo inlet hose due to some of the installation directions. They appear to require cutting the factory unit and then rerouting things. I'm not too fond of that considering the potentially small gains to be had.

After installing the K&N, I reverted back from my 233/334 custom map to the stock mapping in order to prevent any problems. Are there gains? Absolutely. But those gains are felt in the mid-range to upper mid-range... On the stock mapping the turbos exhaustion at high revs is more apparent than on my customer tune. But also note that, as expected, power did drop off quite significantly in the lower end of the spectrum. Lugging the car around at low revs then wanting to spring into action doesn't feel as immediate as before. It feels heavier at lower revs. Not by a huge amount, but it is noticeable. I have no major problem with this as the new tune will certainly take advantage of every last drop this intake has to offer, so I'm at peace with a slight loss of grunt down low.

The sound is pretty intoxicating. It sounds like you're in your own personal air craft ;). If you have no music on, spool up begins as an wide-spread "shhhhhh" sound, but climbing in revs with load will narrow the sound to a focused and sharp "hissssss" as the turbo spools up quicker. Once off the throttle, the bypass valve is very noticeable with an easy-to-mimic "tishewwwww". It's kind of funny if you break it down... People will commonly call it a 'sneeze', but at least it's polite enough to ask for a "tisshhheewww". Get it? Tissue. :)

Some things to note about it's performance. The car has an easy time figuring out the AFRs and running properly when you're heavy on the throttle. It clings to 11.1 and won't let go. But there must be some reason the stock unit had an air straightener in the pipe. While the K&N has a built-in velocity stack, it will cause the car to stumble and figure it's timing out if you get on it after an initial light throttle. In other words, if you're cruising along say at 2500 rpm, and give the throttle a squeeze, it will need to sort itself out with a little lumpiness in power delivery. Now please note, I'm being really picky, it's not like something that's a disturbance or a massively upsetting feeling. It just doesn't feel as smooth as the custom map. And I can't quite speak for the car in stock form, as I don't remember it's build up of power too well. It could have had the same lumpiness in stock trim (I don't remember). But in the ECUs defense, I am running an Intake and Turboback on Stock parameters. That's never a good combination to run for a long period of time.

In short, the gains were a bit more than I expected from the intake. It certainly feels more robust and willing in the mid-range (compared to stock mapping) but that feeling could be amplified by the loss in power down low. But all in all, I am very satisfied with the intake and can't wait to see if the sound changes at all once the new turbo, tmic and bpv are installed next weekend. We are scheduled to drop the new parts in on Sunday the 11th, then get a new custom tune done on the 13th! Wish me luck in hitting 290+ whp :)

SOME PICTURES:

ENGINE BAY BEFORE K&N INSTALL

OEM RAM AIR INLET OUTLET WIDTH

OEM RAM AIR INLET OUTLET HEIGHT

OEM POST-MAF EXIT TUBE DIAMETER

OEM POST-MAF TUBE INTERNAL CORRUGATION DETAIL

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

K&N POST-MAF TUBE INTERNAL DETAIL AND DIAMETER

K&N FILTER ADAPTER (VELOCITY STACK) DETAIL

K&N FILTER CAP DETAIL (CARBON FIBER PRINT)

K&N TYPHOON ASSEMBLY

K&N TYPHOON vs OEM INTAKE SYSTEM

K&N INSTALLED IN ENGINE BAY 1

K&N INSTALLED IN ENGINE BAY 2

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts

Yeah it was funny I actually kind of wanted to see the whole car with a rain drop motif haha...

Good to hear the intake has its merit, I've got mine waiting for a DP and stage 2...

Talking with IAG about getting the VF52 and the pro tune, trying to see if we can get in the turbo before their tuning day...

Keep up the work looks great...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

I've had a typhoon before on a couple of cars, and I really liked it. I like the fact that it is so short, but also has that nice heat shield in place to help avoid heat soak. If I ever get an intake, that's the one I'm getting. I'm anxious to see what you do with a new tune and all your new goodies.

Do you know how much it affected your AFR, as in a before and after sort of comparison?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

VIDEOS:

K&N TYPHOON - REVVING FROM OUTSIDE, (LOVELY RATTLING SOUND COURTESY OF COBB HEAT SHIELD)

K&N TYPHOON - INTERIOR SOUND TEST - WINDOWS UP, WINDOWS DOWN, WINDOWS UP + MUSIC

K&N TYPHOON - INTERIOR SOUND - HIGHWAY CRUISE

SHORT LAUNCH FOR WEBSITE PHOTO SHOOT

RETURNING LINE - GENTLE SPOOL AND PLUMB BACK :)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

I've had a typhoon before on a couple of cars, and I really liked it. I like the fact that it is so short, but also has that nice heat shield in place to help avoid heat soak. If I ever get an intake, that's the one I'm getting. I'm anxious to see what you do with a new tune and all your new goodies.

Do you know how much it affected your AFR, as in a before and after sort of comparison?
+1 I dig the intake a lot!

As said in my brief review, it holds a proper 11.1:1 up high at full throttle. But during idle and gentle throttle it might be slightly leaner (It's probably just me noticing it more).

I'm anxious to see some real results on an 1/8 mile track... Sunday the new snail and supporting mods go in. Then get re-tuned two days following. Then I have all those delicious visual goodies coming in. But I'm far more concerned with getting everything drivetrain-wise running properly before I start installing the body modifications.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

God that rattling heat shield sounds awful. Freaking cobb. Very nice vids though, your car is loud! I'm really impressed with what you are doing with your car. Keep it up.

+1 I dig the intake a lot!

As said in my brief review, it holds a proper 11.1:1 up high at full throttle. But during idle and gentle throttle it might be slightly leaner (It's probably just me noticing it more).

I'm anxious to see some real results on an 1/8 mile track... Sunday the new snail and supporting mods go in. Then get re-tuned two days following. Then I have all those delicious visual goodies coming in. But I'm far more concerned with getting everything drivetrain-wise running properly before I start installing the body modifications.

Yah, I saw that, I just didn't know if you had looked at AFR's prior to installing the intake. I'm interested in the overall change in AFR's the intake caused.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

PS: You need gas
hahahaa.. funny! I just pumped like an hour ago! Those videos were taken last night, and during this mornings photoshoot, my fuel light was on the entire time! ;D

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts

Yeah I will, and same to you...

I really think we've got the same in mind for the car... Haha it's just a race to see who get's it all in place first...

41 - 60 of 1937 Posts