1881 - 1900 of 1937 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,881

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Actually, REDCHARGE, the wheel and tire package I have now are no heavier than stock. They are not 'too heavy', nor are they 'slowing me down'. Let's do the math and look at some facts.

My Package:
17x8 Rota G-Force - 19.5 lbs/wheel
255/40-17 Falken Azenis RT-615 - 26.5 lbs/tire
Total Weight: 19.5(4) + 26.5(4) = 78 + 106 = 184 lbs

Stock Package:
17x7 OEM Subaru Wheels - 23.2 lbs/wheel
205/50-17 OEM Potenza RE92A - 23 lbs/tire
Total Weight: 23.2(4) + 23(4) = 92.8 + 92 = 184.8 lbs

Some points you may not have considered:

Sidewall Height (STOCK: 4.03" vs AZENIS: 4.01"):
While the difference isn't a large amount. the reduction of sidewall height provides a positive effect on handling. Steering response is significantly increased thanks to reduced sidewall flex due to the abundantly stiffer sidewall of the Azenis vs the flezible stock sidewall.

Overall Diameter (STOCK: 25.07" vs AZENIS: 25.03"):
The smaller the overall diameter of the tire, the less your car has to work to spin them. When your torque arm is reduced, and is brought closer to the center of the hub, less effort is required to turn the wheel. The further out your torque arm, the more effort it will take to turn. So if you juxtapose two tires of IDENTICAL weight and one happens to have a smaller overall diameter, that will be the one that turns easiest. So in effect, it's a lighter load to your drivetrain. Another added benefit is that your final gearing is improved (shortened) by having a small overall diameter. In more extreme cases (like a full inch smaller), it will provide more brisk acceleration compared to a larger tire.

Contact Patch (STOCK: 6.8" vs AZENIS: 9.1"):
Section Width is another great argument, which is Stock: 205 mm vs Azenis: 255 mm. Converted to Inches, you're looking at Stock: 8.07" vs Azenis: 10.04". The difference is an additional 1.97" of theoretical grip per corner! But to keep things honest, let's look at the actual contact patch. Contact patch is the amount of rubber that actually contacts the ground when mounted on the wheels. More contact patch means more real grip. More grip means you can carry higher speeds in corners, and worry less about spinning out at launch (an issue for us with over 330wtq). The result? Stock: 6.8" vs Azenis: 9.1". That's 2.3" of additional rubber on each corner! So the car makes an additional total contact of 9.2"!

--

Chassis Stiffening can only go so far. Adding braces and bushings will stiffen the chassis and help with reducing the slack in cornering, only to provide a more consistent and rigid structure. Chassis modifications will not provide you with additional 'grip', in fact... You'll reach your limits sooner with less rubber to the ground, as you'll be channeling everything directly to the tires. I feel this is something especially important to understand, and I hope people take the time to get it.

REDCHARGE: I have no interest in creating tension, but it'd be a disservice to this community on my part not to counter-argue your assumption. This forum is loaded with people trying to learn and understand more about their car and modifying it. To some people, a wheel and tire mod is a very big deal that they know not too much about. The whole point of a forum is to learn more and help others. Telling me that my set-up is too heavy and is hampering my performance could not be further from the truth. I would hate for people to walk away with bad information. Arbitrarily suggesting that adding 'braces, giant sways, bushings and such' will result in the same handling is absolutely NOT true. I go to lengths to research everything before adding it to my car, and I know many appreciate that. If you don't like your wheel and tire package to be that wide, then I respect your individual decision.
Boost: I'm new and I know this is an incredibly old post and build but I was so impressed w the write up I had to ask a few questions on your modifications on this particular part.
1) Did you remember what stance or lowering distance you were at prior to adding the Falkens?
2) Did you already predict you would have to roll the fenders with the current spindle settings even after the Falkens or did you change the height at all after the Falkens were added?

I have an 08' and this write up was exactly what I've been looking for on ideas on getting started.
Amazing build btw!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I came out of hibernation just to post this..

465whp on Church dyno = 400whp elsewhere

jk! Congrats on the numbers and enjoy it. We both know the long road we took to get to where we are. :smiley:

Reactions: 06f250sd

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,884
Finally! A new longblock & fresh high-rev tune to perfectly complement the gearing!

Major Update. 10/06/2012. SubieFest 2012.

This was the date we set as our deadline and we were able to have the car complete and tuned, just in time. Let's get right down to the pictures and results. I'll post more details later after recovering from this weekend.

All modifications are listed in the first post. But concisely, it's a custom, Forman Performance GT3076R Rotated turbo with Reverse Manifold configuration. De-stroked Forman F3 ShortBlock with approximate displacement of 2.3L. The heads were also ported and polished in-house by us at Forman Performance, then fitted with 1mm oversized and upgraded valvetrain components. Tomei custom grind Poncams finish off the heads and give this car the unique power curve it has.

Tuned By: Shawn Church (Church Automotive Testing)
Horsepower: 465 whp @ 6674 rpm
Torque: 395 ft-lbs @ 4915 rpm
Boost: ~25 psi peak (tapers to ~22psi at redline)
Redline: 7700 rpm
Fuel: CA-91 Pump w/ 50/50 Meth&Water injection
Ambient Temp: ~85deg
Correction Factor: None
Note: All power numbers achieved through a factory catback exhaust (no cut-out was used for the tune).

Media:

A peak underneath. Whiteline and EWG Detail.

Tune Day. Sponsor line up on lower door

Proudly utilizing a factory 09 WRX Catback Exhaust w/ the tip garnish removed. I love how the Cusco Arms and Whiteline bar totally contradict the catback.

Video of a pass while being tuned by Shawn Church. Incredible how still the motor remains, thank you Group N Mounts! :)

My and Jason's car from a 'backstage' view Pre-SubieFest

Our model Jasmin

Our model Evon

Evon and Jasmin

Evon and Jasmin

A quick sprint from 70-120mph in 4th gear. Closed Track Testing.

A few notes: Know that this video is for comparative data ONLY. Not to be used for bench-racing. Yes, I am aware of the lights on the cluster. ABS system has been deleted which explains the Traction Control, Brake, ABS and Hill Assist lights. The CEL is a trivial code that needs to be deleted. No, I will not make a video to bench race with you. No, I will not datalog for bench racing purposes. Thanks for viewing!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,887
I came out of hibernation just to post this..

465whp on Church dyno = 400whp elsewhere

jk! Congrats on the numbers and enjoy it. We both know the long road we took to get to where we are. :smiley:
Haha. Very funny. Yeah, dude. You and I have had the worst luck up until this point. We need to do a D4D meAt ASAP before Jasons motor blows :)

Oh sweet Jesus.
Nice numbers and set up. I hope this engine lives for a long time.
Thanks :) It's very exciting to finally implement the type of builds we do into my own vehicle. All the issues I had previously were the fact that my 3rd part block kept being bandaged together. So it's nice to start fresh and do it right, as we do for our clients.

Good to see it up and running!! Good numbers too! Great job!
Thanks very much! :)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,891
really happy for you vim! hope things work out the way you wish and in the longterm. the curse is over!! enjoy!
Thank you sir! It's been a trying project, but I'm very happy with where it's at. I'll definitely post more videos and pictures once I have the chance.

Let's get your beast off the blocks next!!!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Models are beasts? lol

Is that what you're getting at?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,896 (Edited)
Nothing major in terms of updates, but my car was sorely missing the black roof it once had. I took it over to PremiumAutoStyling.com to have them vinyl the roof again and it turned out incredible! Here's a quick snap shot I took during lunch a week ago.

Also, picked up a nice little beater to replace my 96 Ranger as my daily. Here she is in all her glory...

I know, I know... I can't get away from Subaru's that look like Corollas. But meh... It's a 1996 Impreza L Sedan: 5spd, 2.2L N/A. Has a plethora of issues but I picked it up for a reasonable price and intend to put some TLC into it and get her running reliably as a gas-saving daily. It's currently got blown headgaskets, leaking valve covers, bad heater core and needs a clutch. The plus side is that the body is in great shape, no accidents, just some minor rub marks on all 4 corners (front and rear bumpers). The interior is pretty immaculate for how old it is. Just needs some new floor mats. Repairing all these issues and some light paint work should have this bad boy in clean, respectable shape. The hard part is holding myself back from modifying it... I'll probably just swap on an RS front bumper since I need to repaint it anyway, medium tint and it should be good. Well, okay... one of the taillights has a hairline crack in the lens, so obviously that necessitates upgrading to JDM taillights. And you can't do JDM tails without doing the front clear corners. And oh, I don't know, maybe a Stromung twin tip axle back, oh boy... here we go again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is all really amazing. I'm having a blast reading through this thread. What would you say you have spent, total, on this car. Don't answer (or think about that) if you don't want to.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,899
This is all really amazing. I'm having a blast reading through this thread. What would you say you have spent, total, on this car. Don't answer (or think about that) if you don't want to.
Yeah, I'm afraid to add it all up. I've lost track at this point anyway. Glad you're enjoying the thread.

Should have some updates on my '96 Impreza shortly as I just sold my Danger Ranger over the weekend. The 08WRX remains unchanged, but some minor changes coming soon! ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
this car is great! i love how u went with the flipped manifold...im also intending on running a flipped manifold but will have to wait for next year (planning on using a cosworth). i already have my hands full for this years projects lol. i couldnt go thru all 190 pages, but god damn is this things badass! i must have went thru about 20-25 pages (not in order) and that was enough to tell this things sick! great job man. nice beater too ;) i also had to buy another subie for a daily (02 impreza wagon) lol. i love em!

1881 - 1900 of 1937 Posts