Subaru WRX Forums banner

1921 - 1937 of 1937 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,921
Sorry to hear you're parting it out - you've been a huge inspiration to a lot of people on here (myself included). I hope you put a thread up for your 96 build - I'd love to see what you do even if it is 'mild'. Good luck with your business project as well!
Thank you, sir. I have been keeping a photo catalog of the things I've fixed and made minor upgrades on up to this point. So I will definitely put something together once some exciting changes start panning out for that car.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Well you do what u feel best. Just as long as I get my stuff free haha. ;).

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,924
Really sad when I heard about this - I am interested in many parts - we can chat about it when you give me that call Vim!
Yeah... Me too. I'm not 100% happy about it. But it's the best thing to do at this point. Now even considering selling the GC if I get into a 14 Impreza Sport. Do some suspension and call it done on a very fuel efficient, non-hybrid, awd commuter.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah... Me too. I'm not 100% happy about it. But it's the best thing to do at this point. Now even considering selling the GC if I get into a 14 Impreza Sport. Do some suspension and call it done on a very fuel efficient, non-hybrid, awd commuter.
Might as well get a crosstrek.

Reactions: Jollyp

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,926
Heavily considered the crosstrek xv. I like it a lot, but I think I'd rather put a 5spd impreza sport on some coilovers and wider wheels and call it done. The impreza gets better fuel economy too vs the gas engine xv. The hybrid xv barely gets any better, but costs significantly more.

·
Registered
326 Posts
+1 for this

I've been debating the same thing. I'm just not into going to the track as much as I used too and I just don't go cause I'm either too lazy or too busy.
I can't believe after all of this work you've put into your 08 you're done. If you leave, whats going to happen to this site :p

·
Registered
512 Posts
Heavily considered the crosstrek xv. I like it a lot, but I think I'd rather put a 5spd impreza sport on some coilovers and wider wheels and call it done. The impreza gets better fuel economy too vs the gas engine xv. The hybrid xv barely gets any better, but costs significantly more.
I played the idea my self - I hate dropping $60 a week on gas. Any reason you would pick a certain model Impreza over older used models in the new gen?

Or did they only recently start making FA 2.0, 5 speed, sedans?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,929
+1 for this

I've been debating the same thing. I'm just not into going to the track as much as I used too and I just don't go cause I'm either too lazy or too busy.
I can't believe after all of this work you've put into your 08 you're done. If you leave, whats going to happen to this site :p
Yeah, it's getting harder for me to justify keeping the 08. The site traffic seems to have dropped off huge since the 3gwrx > wrxforums name change. I've been slammed at Forman for the last two years which explains my lack of activity here. But I will be on way more now that I'm hitting the reset button.

I played the idea my self - I hate dropping $60 a week on gas. Any reason you would pick a certain model Impreza over older used models in the new gen?

Or did they only recently start making FA 2.0, 5 speed, sedans?
The newer 12+ imprezas are the newer body style, stiffer chassis (which is now being used for the 15 WRX), FB20 NA motor. I pushed my dad to get one after my buddy Mike had some great experiences with his DD impreza. Mike was averaging 36-38mpg on highway commutes with the CVT. I pushed my dad into one, so he got the impreza sport hatch w/ cvt. I've driven it on a few occasions when visiting the folks, and it's a blast around town, even with the pseudo-paddle shifting. He averages 32-34 mixed and I've gotten 42mpg on it driving 60-65mph behind a uhaul for 400 miles. The mileage has me sold. I absolutely love the body style and think it has potential to look great when it's lowered with a wide set of wheels. The aero package bits from Subaru make it a bit of a head turner in my opinion. I, of course, am going to opt for the manual, and would do very minimal suspension mods and leave it alone for the most part. Should make for a great commuter that saves me money, looks good and is still a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah, it's getting harder for me to justify keeping the 08. The site traffic seems to have dropped off huge since the 3gwrx > wrxforums name change. I've been slammed at Forman for the last two years which explains my lack of activity here. But I will be on way more now that I'm hitting the reset button.

The newer 12+ imprezas are the newer body style, stiffer chassis (which is now being used for the 15 WRX), FB20 NA motor. I pushed my dad to get one after my buddy Mike had some great experiences with his DD impreza. Mike was averaging 36-38mpg on highway commutes with the CVT. I pushed my dad into one, so he got the impreza sport hatch w/ cvt. I've driven it on a few occasions when visiting the folks, and it's a blast around town, even with the pseudo-paddle shifting. He averages 32-34 mixed and I've gotten 42mpg on it driving 60-65mph behind a uhaul for 400 miles. The mileage has me sold. I absolutely love the body style and think it has potential to look great when it's lowered with a wide set of wheels. The aero package bits from Subaru make it a bit of a head turner in my opinion. I, of course, am going to opt for the manual, and would do very minimal suspension mods and leave it alone for the most part. Should make for a great commuter that saves me money, looks good and is still a pleasure to drive.

I can see it happening. The car looks amazing with the sport grille and aero stuffs. Probably looks even better when its not a hatch.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
^ what is that subaru model?

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
the side mirrors looked awkward even more then the car itself

·
Registered
326 Posts
the side mirrors looked awkward even more then the car itself
You're right, they are funky looking.

Vim you should get one too. Start up a 4g site and push products for the wrx. Repeat what you've already done and I'll hop on the bandwagon and follow.
I've thought about that crosstek and slapping a supercharger kit on that bad boy. Be a little bit of fun for a crossover. You should do the same if you get the impreza sport ^^b

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,935
You're right, they are funky looking.

Vim you should get one too. Start up a 4g site and push products for the wrx. Repeat what you've already done and I'll hop on the bandwagon and follow.
I've thought about that crosstek and slapping a supercharger kit on that bad boy. Be a little bit of fun for a crossover. You should do the same if you get the impreza sport ^^b
Haha, I'm loving that we share that enthusiasm. I'm still up in the air in decision making... I mean, hell, if I finance a new Impreza Sport, I'm maybe only a couple months away from just getting a '15 WRX!?. I've got some tough decisions to make.

The gas mileage, good looks, practicality and fun-to-drive factor of the Impreza Sport really appeals to me. On the same note, I feel the '15 WRX is a very handsome car and, with the right minor touches, can look more aggressive. But, if I opt for the newer WRX, I'll just have another excuse to modify it with no end in sight. Scratch that, I know I won't be able to leave it alone. AT ALL. With the Impreza Sport being NA, I can easily see a stopping point with just upgrading suspension, wheels and some tasteful visuals. No point in digging into the engine further than an intake and catback. It's just one of those 'you have an opportunity to make a very responsible decision, or you can totally shoot yourself in the foot with temptation' situation. Sigh.

The reason I like the '15 WRX's body so much, I think, is because the '12+ Imprezas look really good me (look closely, there's a tremendous amount of influence and shared lines). I feel they missed the mark with the taillights on the Impreza Sedan. But then, I feel they hit the mark on the taillights of the new '15 WRX. If I do get a new Impreza, it'll be a hatch. It's more appealing to me than the Sedan, and very versatile.

We will see...

1921 - 1937 of 1937 Posts