Subaru WRX Forums banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
hey guys what is our normal oil pressure supposed to be?
mine is seeming to go pretty high.

·
Registered
941 Posts
On cold startup mine idles at around 100psi.
Once warmed up it idles at 22psi.
Cruising it is about 85psi.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
ok, i was curious since that is what i am seeing, when i get on it it tends to go to max also.
glad to know this one is normal.

do any of you guys have the prosport wideband sensor?
i have all my stuff wired just like the link in the original post and only when the wideband power wires are hooked into the rest of my wires there is a noise that comes through the stereo. Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
ok guys, don't wire everything to the stereo.
I did get some humming issues coming through the speakers once all three gauges were hooked up.
for prosport electric gauges, the red is for switched power and white is for the constant.
I got my switched power from the wire that goes the the green wire with an orange stripe off my hvac controls.
constant power is coming from fuse location 3 under the dash.
ground is a bolt on a bracket under the steering wheel that you can see if you remove the lower trim.
illumination i did pull from my stereo harness.
I know the wires seem like they are grabbed from all over the place but i had to modify my wiring as I went a long and this seemed to be the easiest without redoing everything. I wish I hadn't got buzzing from the stereo but it works and looks great.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
ok guys, don't wire everything to the stereo.
I did get some humming issues coming through the speakers once all three gauges were hooked up.
for prosport electric gauges, the red is for switched power and white is for the constant.
I got my switched power from the wire that goes the the green wire with an orange stripe off my hvac controls.
constant power is coming from fuse location 3 under the dash.
ground is a bolt on a bracket under the steering wheel that you can see if you remove the lower trim.
illumination i did pull from my stereo harness.
I know the wires seem like they are grabbed from all over the place but i had to modify my wiring as I went a long and this seemed to be the easiest without redoing everything. I wish I hadn't got buzzing from the stereo but it works and looks great.

Thanks for the info, looks good!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I was planning on just using fuse taps to power my gauges. Anybody have any idea how many gauges are safe to run off 1 fuse tap? Would it be a good idea to put a slightly stouter fuse in that location?

I plan on having 3 gauges.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was planning on just using fuse taps to power my gauges. Anybody have any idea how many gauges are safe to run off 1 fuse tap? Would it be a good idea to put a slightly stouter fuse in that location?

Right now I'm running two...you could try 3, worst case you blow a fuse lol

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I contacted the vendor in regards to my fluctuation and this was the reply.

I think an orifice adapter will address it. The sending unit reads the oil pressure multiple times every second and there is no electronic “dampening” built into the gauge which means you can actually see on the gauge pulses in the oil pressure that exist. Just do to the timing between what the sending sees and the delay it takes for the needle to go to that point I think your ending up with an exaggerated fluctuation reading in the pressure. I have seen many times with our gauges a constant small flugger in the needle that does indeed represent fluctuations in the pressure, the video shows larger fluctuations than I am use to seeing but it might just be an odd timing issue as mentioned above. An Orafice adapter is a little screw on adapater you can put at the end of the oil pressure sending unit. It forces the oil through a really small hole to the sending unit and will “dampen” the fluctuation
Did you pursue this suggestion? If so, did it fix the problem?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

i actually have all 3 of my gauges running off the stock 15 amp fuse and no issues as of yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I think an orifice adapter will address it. The sending unit reads the oil pressure multiple times every second and there is no electronic “dampening” built into the gauge which means you can actually see on the gauge pulses in the oil pressure that exist. Just do to the timing between what the sending sees and the delay it takes for the needle to go to that point I think your ending up with an exaggerated fluctuation reading in the pressure. I have seen many times with our gauges a constant small flugger in the needle that does indeed represent fluctuations in the pressure, the video shows larger fluctuations than I am use to seeing but it might just be an odd timing issue as mentioned above. An Orafice adapter is a little screw on adapater you can put at the end of the oil pressure sending unit. It forces the oil through a really small hole to the sending unit and will “dampen” the fluctuation
I just placed my order for it on Friday and it wasn't shipped out until Monday. Once it arrives I'll install it and let everyone know the result.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The only reason I didn't get the prosport relocation kit was it was cheaper for me to purchase the galley plug from prosport and the relocation kit from MadDad when I bought my gauges.

I help clarify how I got the galley plug in. As seen below with the MadDad gauge there is a brass piece that is inserted into the galley plug and the line. So what I did was screw the brass piece into the galley plug and then used an 11mm socket to get the unit into the galley plug location. I did it that way because of the stupid evil thing prevented me from putting a socket directly on the galley plug.
I'm a bit confused by this post. So the smaller brass piece fits into that hole:

DESPITE the piece of engine block in the way? And that small brass piece can be threaded on with a long/deep socket? Then the 2nd, larger brass piece just threads on top of that?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Oh I gotcha. Is there any way to use them both off the same plug? I'd hate the break the seal on an OEM plug if I didn't have to.

Somewhat off topic...what gauges are you using? I'm still undecided on gauges...

·
Registered
941 Posts
The only reason I didn't get the prosport relocation kit was it was cheaper for me to purchase the galley plug from prosport and the relocation kit from MadDad when I bought my gauges.

I help clarify how I got the galley plug in. As seen below with the MadDad gauge there is a brass piece that is inserted into the galley plug and the line. So what I did was screw the brass piece into the galley plug and then used an 11mm socket to get the unit into the galley plug location. I did it that way because of the stupid evil thing prevented me from putting a socket directly on the galley plug.
I'm a bit confused by this post. So the smaller brass piece fits into that hole:

DESPITE the piece of engine block in the way? And that small brass piece can be threaded on with a long/deep socket? Then the 2nd, larger brass piece just threads on top of that?
You would need to put in a threaded galley plug first:

http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Subaru-Oil-Galley-Plug

Then the adapter fittings, and then the steel hose.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
if you buy that oil adapter plate I used you can put up to 4 sensors on that plate and go from there. you may need to do some wire hiding that is a little longer but would be super easy. I only had a problem with a leak becuase i didn't use teflon tape the first time, i used some goop that sucked. I re-did it and it works awesome.
Prosport has a video on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I installed my orifice adapter today and it fixed the problem.

http://www.daddysscp.com/product_p/2822.htm

81 - 100 of 118 Posts