Subaru WRX Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is how my Rallitek oil pressure sensor install turned out (crappy cell pics and DIRTY engine bay included!!!).

As mentioned previously in this thread, the stock pressure sensor location under the alternator seemed much much much more "friendly" than the galley plug under the intercooler.

Removing the alt from this car is as easy as removing 3 bolts and 2 wires.
And removing the stock sensor costs 8 bucks for a 24mm socket.

Here is the Prosport relocation kit installed in the stock pressure sensor location (with alternator removed).

Alternator back on.

I mounted the sender on a small bracket bolt already on the intake manifold.

Then sent the wires back to a gromet in the firewall which comes in around the gas pedal.

·
Registered
941 Posts
As mentioned previously in this thread, the stock pressure sensor location under the alternator seemed much much much more "friendly" than the galley plug under the intercooler.

Removing the alt from this car is as easy as removing 3 bolts and 2 wires.
And removing the stock sensor costs 8 bucks for a 24mm socket.
^Exactly. Alternator takes 5 min to pull out. OEM sensor take 5 seconds to remove (if you have a 24mm socket).

I'm glad the Defi sender is tiny. No relocation kit needed. This install looks good for one that does require a relocation, though.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
the sensor usually comes with the gauge when you order it.
then the brackets and extra things come with a relocation kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's right. The sensor comes with the gauge when you buy it.

Sent from my Galaxy S

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
a lot of the gauge companys that have the oil pressure gauge will also sell only the sensor, so if you need one, get in touch with your gauges company and they can sell you a new one.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Subscribed fo later

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was thinking of using the galley plug but I'm doing both the oil pressure and oil temp gauges from AEM. So I'm leaning towards getting an oil filter adapter kit, maybe from Prosport. Will I need anything else? I don't need the relocation kit too? Sorry for the noob questions but I just don't want any hassles when it's install time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Man this has been frustrating to find an answer... I've read that people have had problems with fitting the sensors into the sandwich adapters but not specifically 08+ models. I guess the best way to find out is to buy one and give it a shot. If anyone has a sandwich adapter please chime in...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have a prosport oil pressure gauge and I didn't have any problems getting the sensor on a sandwich plate adaptor. You don't technically need a relocation kit, but the prosport wire and harness weren't long enough to go through the driver side fender liner to my smycluster. I had to clip the harness that goes behind the gauge and attach some copper wires to extend the length of the wire and attached the harness with butt connectors.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I should mention I have a 12 wrx, with the premium gauge with the smaller sensor. Not that bigger clunkier sender unit

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice... thanks for that info. The sender on my AEM gauge looks pretty big. I guess I'll get the sandwich adapter and see where that leaves me...

·
Registered
182 Posts
i have oil pressure and oil temp. i didnt use a sandwich adapter, heard they caused incorrect reading and leaked for some people. i used the stock galley under alternator for pressure, and i used a tapped oil pan drain bolt for temp. easy install, and my readings are dead on. if you have a big oil pressure sender, you will need a oil relocation kit for under alternator, but its cheap and easy to install

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was unaware there were two different sizes of oil pressure senders from prosport. They make a smaller one than the yellow sender that is slightly smaller than a tennis ball? Does anyone have a pic of it? Any problems so far?

I have had some slight glitches with mine, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
hmmm.... maybe I'll tap that galley plug and do a T for the temp and pressure. I think for now I'm just going to install a pressure gauge .

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I did the sandwich adapter and the relocation kit to keep the sensor away from all the engine heat. Just make sure to use some teflon tape on the fittings. Never leaked on me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice, that looks like a pro install. So use teflon tape on hte fittings - check. But no teflon on the bolt that screws into the oil pan right?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
yep, on the sandwich plate, it has a o ring of sorts kind of like your oil filter normally does. just rub a little oil on that ring as you would for the oil filter.
That sandwich plate acts like the new mating surface for the oil filter. Just rub a little oil on the rubber ring on the filter and it will seal up great.
No leaks. I routed the line around the header and mounted the pressure sensor on the passenger side about where the intake box would be.
Pic is a little dark though. It will give you an idea for a mounting location.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts