Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some questions and wanting some feedback and pictures of installs from people who have Boost Gauges on their new 2008 WRX 5 door.

!. I have seen pictures on this forum and others of boost gauges installed but what boost are you running? What is safe and unsafe? Nobody ever states the boost levels their boost gauge is set at. I have heard from several people that running a boost gauge on the new WRX will ultimately hurt the engine.

I work for a company that makes boost gauges and I bought one for my new 2008 WRX 5 door, the instructions weren't that clear and I googled it and found conflicting results, so I talked to a tech guy at work and told him about installs that I had seen on these forums and where people had their boost gauges hooked up on their engines. Him and I went out to my car popped the hood. The first thing he told me was that the gauge should be plumbed directly into the manifold from the front side by the intake, the solenoid should be connected on the other side of the manifold directly to or close to the BOV and the wires run accordingly, the gauge should be plumbed in ON THE TURBO SIDE of the engine. I told him that the pictures of installs I had seen on these forums it looked like people were plumbing directly into the wastegate, he told me that was wrong. So again I am conflicted. That's all I am looking for is a straight answer on how and where and what people are setting their boost at? He was somewhat discouraging as he advised me that boost gauges are really recommended for cars running high boost or race cars and that the 2008 Subaru engines are very touchy and that it might be better to hold off on installing a boost gauge as new aftermarket products are still in the works specifically for these cars.

So, what results are people having with their boost gauges? Can you please post some detailed pics of your install and where and what the gauge is plumbed into? I need some help here. Any tips or advice would be great!

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
when i had my boost gauge i had a t-fitting in between the vacuum line that goes into the BOV.... and the boost matched my accessport readings

·
Registered
327 Posts
Almost every single boost gauge I have seen installed has been hooked up on the vaccumm line directly off the BOV.(Mechanical, that is...electric boost gauges I know very little about.) I have yet to have any problems with my gauge run this way. I have the vaccumm line coming in the giant grommet on the passenger side and then accross the center console behind the radio to my steering column. I know there are some good install threads here, search and you shall recieve!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
there is nothing special about the 08 WRX that would make it "touchy" with a boost gauge. as long as you install it correctly, you should have no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts