Subaru WRX Forums banner

Boost Controller issue?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  WRX 
#1 ·
Hi all, I haven't been on this forum for a long time but it's nice to be back. I have a question and sorry for sounding like a noob.

My car for one is stock( short ram intake installed also). I have just installed a turbo xs boost controller and was running fine for a couple of days until a CEL came on along with traction control light, and cruise control light, ( which constantly keep blinking).

I need your opinion whether or not I should keep it on or take it off for my car's sake.

Right now the boost is @ 16 lbs. Everything is fine, vacuum is at 20 etc.

Will my engine take severe stress from this or is it okay? And what will be nessary for me to keep the boost controller on if it is okay to leave it on?

I have come from a turbo dsm and subies are really different beast. :) a good one at that.

Also I was wondering if I install a a/f gauge can anyone show me where I can connect the purple wire on the ecu? Don't exactly know which color is the o2 sensor signal wire.

Thanks and all help is grealy appreaciated.

PS: Anyone in IL with an accessport I can use? I will pay to use it, not really in the position to buy one myself now, Dad just passed away 2 weeks ago. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
You are overboosting, and untuned at that... ECU thinks your wastegate is malfunctioning. You need to take that thing OFF the car and sell it. You can set your boost with a proper tune, which controls the solonoid and wastegate for you.

You cannot use someone elses AP, its married to thier car/ECU. They would have to unmarry thier car first.

Sell the MBC, buy an AP and run a proper stage 1 tune like perrin's. 15psi, no CEL's, decent timing and fuel for an OTS map. I really cant stress this enough, a tune is EVERYTHING with this car. You cannot go changing boost settings on a MBC without retuning.

#7 ·
An AP *is* a tune. It will load tune files for you, and you can upload maps onto it via an itunes-like interface. You can download maps for free, pay for general maps from pdx, perrin, etc, OR you can get protuned. You need the AP to get protuned anyways, so its a good investment and currently the only way to tune the 08 wrx ECU without buying a license (ecutek) or going EM.

No damage, the CEL saved you from beating up on the car too much without additional fuel.

No clue on the O2, bump for that. A good resource for that type of question is the legacy gt forum (legacygt.com). Same basic setup.

#15 ·
2.5 ltr, but I'm told there are still differences in the ECU type number and they are also tuned factory to run on Premium (95-98) in OZ. Re initial question: So the CEL has gone - did you lower the boost? As for hooking up a A/F guage, I use a OBD II guage which can display that info, but it is only from the standard narrow band sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.