Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just a quick question, I installed a boost gauge on my 02 wrx a few days ago and I just thought I'd ask your opinion about the readings I've been getting.

ok so when the car is idling its about -0.5 bar which I guess i normal.
During cruising it settles at around 0 bar which I guess is also normal.

However when I sprint in first gear i only get up to 0.5 bar boost, second gear up to 0.6 bar, only when I hit third and fourth gear to I reach a max of 0.8 bar boost. it this normal ? what confuses me is that I thought max boost should come in first and second gear as this is your strongest gears? Im I mistaken ? Are my readings proper or is something wrong with my gauge or ride ?

oh and my car is completely stock, apart from a aftermarket BPV.
Thanx guys
Owen

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a 2010, but your idle sounds about right, maybe a little low, mine is around 22 in hg which is about 10 or 11 psi or about .7ish bar.

Normal driving varies depending on how hard you accelerate, highest cruise at 70 on flat road I'm about -.2ish bar maybe a little more vacuum.

Boost, you need look at the table and see what the target is to see if you are meeting them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ive never really payed attention to my boost in first gear at wot due to rpm's climb so quick Im paying attention to the tac and not my boost gauge. however sometimes in 2nd gear I hit slightly lower boost than in 3rd only about 1 psi lower. on a 5 speed transmission 3rd gear should show better boosting characteristics thats why people usually log 3rd gear to see how theyre car is responding to a new tune. u should log 3rd gear and like dj said compare that with ur target boost

·
Registered
666 Posts
First and second gear may be your "strongest" gear, but they are that way because they are shorter gears, you are not going to hit the requested torque needed to hit your full boost. Sometimes you can in second, but if you want to hit your full boost, try third (especially since that is where most tunes are based around).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx guys, I think my levels are OK. I did a couple of test runs yesterday and get varied levels depending on how hard I accelerate. Max boost comes from third gear at .8bar almost .9bar. so I think its ok. first and second gear varies at .6 to .7bar.

thanx for the reply guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts