Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions for a boost gauge. And would like to know how difficult of an install it is. Thanks.

Seth

·
Registered
421 Posts
U have 2 options.

Simply get a boost gauge (i suggest Defi),

or

Get a electronic boost controller, to control the boost, and to read the boost!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for just a guage. I don't think I will be needing a controller any time soon. Not enough money to get that modded :)

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, the boost controller is not that much more then the Defi boost gauge. You also get so much more with it. AEM TruBoost is about $230 on eBay. I would recommend looking into it since you have a dp, you can control any boost spikes that might happen.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the boost controller do more than say an AP can do as far as controlling boost? Or will they just be overlapping each others functions? Thanks for the info.

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
There is an overlap, the only difference is that you have better control of the boost with the boost controller and it would be much better to have one that is external then having the ECU do it. I was overboosting with TBE and Cobb AP, problem solved when I switched to a EBC.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm confused. The AP tries to tell the ecu to control boost but because the EBC is controlling the wastegate the ecu doesn't control it. Wouldn't that throw a CEL?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I got it so the AEM takes the boost control function from the ECU right? So the AP doesn't have to capability to manage the boost like the AEM does? Or is not even a function of the AP?

Seth

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't think the ap controls boost only fuel and ignition maps. Anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The AP will up the boost level depending on which map you choose. Stage 1 ups it up to 13 PSI and Stage 2 ups it up to 15PSI using the ECU. But, for better control of the boost a boost controller is a must. It will allow you to change so you can get it just right.

I ran the Stage 2 map with a TBE and Intake and ended up overboosting. Once I got my boost controller in I have a better ability to control that.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotcha. Thanks.

Seth

·
Registered
752 Posts
i unplugged the vacuum line from the stock boost solenoid. Its the line that runs under the intake manifold and connects to the thing with the light blue connector above the turbo inlet hose.
i tried running the car with and without the stock solenoid, the ecu didn't throw any codes. then i rerouted the vacuum line to run around/above the manifold.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I need some suggestions for a boost gauge. And would like to know how difficult of an install it is. Thanks.

Seth
got a defi system. 1 hr install. manual has english with wiring diagram. its the routing of the wire that can be pita.

i put the controller under the steering column. didnt have the heart to drill so i used double back tape. because of the shape of the plastic panel, sticker isnt flat, so it may fall off once in a while.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How difficult is it to install an electronic boost controller for a person with minimal experience?

·
Registered
121 Posts
000007009 said:
Its not too difficult my brother was able to do it and that's saying alot considering he ran over my daughters swingset while trying to pop a wheelie on my lawnmower LOL.
Hahaha! Right on man.

The part should come with installation instructions correct? If anybody has these instructions could they post them for me so that I can get an idea for the degree of difficulty? Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
000007009 said:
Its not too difficult my brother was able to do it and that's saying alot considering he ran over my daughters swingset while trying to pop a wheelie on my lawnmower LOL.
Hahaha! Right on man.

The part should come with installation instructions correct? If anybody has these instructions could they post them for me so that I can get an idea for the degree of difficulty? Thanks
LMAO.

the thing that got me stuck is the manifold pressure, then i realized i am stupid lol. took me about 1 hour 15 mintues...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone have any pics of their install? I am looking for mounting ideas, and where people went through the firewall. Thanks.

Seth

·
Registered
253 Posts
The AP will up the boost level depending on which map you choose. Stage 1 ups it up to 13 PSI and Stage 2 ups it up to 15PSI using the ECU. But, for better control of the boost a boost controller is a must. It will allow you to change so you can get it just right.

I ran the Stage 2 map with a TBE and Intake and ended up overboosting. Once I got my boost controller in I have a better ability to control that.
wouldn't that be because the stock cobb stg 2 map is complete garbage?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts