Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an "Idiots guide to installing Boost Gauges" for our WRX or can someone make one. I'm pretty sure i've got the process down but i want to make sure and would love to have some specific step by step instructions just to make sure i don't screw it up. thanks to any help.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: Boost Guarge install- More precise directions?

You have quite a few options for running wiring. I personally Tee'd off the vaccumm line on the BOV and then ran that to the passenger side. You will see a large grommet with alot of wires going into it. Using a hanger I had my dad push that through and then I fished for it inside the car(the hanger). Then I ran another hanger through the middle counsole to the driver's side and left that hanger there. I then ran the vaccumm line down behind the steering column, connected it to the first hanger, and pulled it through the middle console. Then I attached the line to the other hanger and pulled that one through to the engine bay, then connected it to the Tee. Your power wire can be done a multitude of ways. Alot of people just jam wires into the fuses that are on only when the car is on. (Such as the center console fuse, for the cigarette lighter.) My dad and I custom made some fuse taps to go into that fuse position in the box, to the fuse, and also to the gauge. The gauge is only on when the car is on, and it's protected by the fuse.(I made sure the power was not on to the gauge when the fuse was removed) For the ground I used the screw that holds the hood pop. It's a 12 or 10mm and it was easier to remove the cable(just like a bike cable, just slide it to the notch and it comes right out). Some people have run the Vaccumm line through the open nipple on the driver's side, but you may have to remove the carpeting. It's hard to access the open nipple however, I was not able to stick my fingers in there. If you have any electrical know-how it's not difficult. My dad's an electronic tech. However, it's simply power, ground, and vaccumm line. Just be clean about it, noone likes a sloppy install! It gets a little more in depth if you have a multi color gauge, but it should include instructions on how to wire it properly. (Mine is an amber/white gauge, and I use a switch during the day b/c the amber is harder to see). FYI this install was for a MECHANICAL gauge, not electrical.

·
Registered
359 Posts

You have quite a few options for running wiring. I personally Tee'd off the vaccumm line on the BOV and then ran that to the passenger side. You will see a large grommet with alot of wires going into it. Using a hanger I had my dad push that through and then I fished for it inside the car(the hanger). Then I ran another hanger through the middle counsole to the driver's side and left that hanger there. I then ran the vaccumm line down behind the steering column, connected it to the first hanger, and pulled it through the middle console. Then I attached the line to the other hanger and pulled that one through to the engine bay, then connected it to the Tee. Your power wire can be done a multitude of ways. Alot of people just jam wires into the fuses that are on only when the car is on. (Such as the center console fuse, for the cigarette lighter.) My dad and I custom made some fuse taps to go into that fuse position in the box, to the fuse, and also to the gauge. The gauge is only on when the car is on, and it's protected by the fuse.(I made sure the power was not on to the gauge when the fuse was removed) For the ground I used the screw that holds the hood pop. It's a 12 or 10mm and it was easier to remove the cable(just like a bike cable, just slide it to the notch and it comes right out). Some people have run the Vaccumm line through the open nipple on the driver's side, but you may have to remove the carpeting. It's hard to access the open nipple however, I was not able to stick my fingers in there. If you have any electrical know-how it's not difficult. My dad's an electronic tech. However, it's simply power, ground, and vaccumm line. Just be clean about it, noone likes a sloppy install! It gets a little more in depth if you have a multi color gauge, but it should include instructions on how to wire it properly. (Mine is an amber/white gauge, and I use a switch during the day b/c the amber is harder to see). FYI this install was for a MECHANICAL gauge, not electrical.
Nice write-up +1

·
Registered
159 Posts

X2^

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

I don't have a turbo so I pretty much do not care ??? but hey very nice description I think I could install some now (I'll even give it a try if I find a brave man to let me play with is WRX) This post should be spaced a bit and 1 or 2 point might me clarified but this rate as a post-it for future users ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts

passenger side under dash hole to feed wires to driver side

tee into bov hose

connect clear vaccum hose, extend wires, run thru boot in firewall, mount boost sensor w/ two screws

stick on gauge pod (too tall so i mounted in on the back side of the steering colum cover)

pretty good match from prosport electric gauges

·
Registered
159 Posts
Scooter have you had any problems out of that gauge yet? My Needle on mine shakes at an idle... Have You Had This Problem?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys... ok so this and a short throw are giong to be the first "performance" mods we do. I have a few questions:

where did you guys mount your boost gauge? are there any pod's out? where is the STI's mounted? Is it possible to buy just the housing from the dealership?

thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
bump for questions? I see where scooter mounted his, looking for other opinions/info...

·
Registered
42 Posts
no shake at idle on mine, sorry dude.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Scooter have you had any problems out of that gauge yet? My Needle on mine shakes at an idle... Have You Had This Problem?
WVEJ255 , do you have a mechanical boost gauge or electric? if mechanical, the needle will move when you hit a bump and stuff like that..

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a prosport gauge as well and haven't experienced that. Right now my gauge is doublestick taped down to my steering column.(The ebay auction I bought it from showed a pod but it didn't come with it.) Where did you get your pod from? I am sick of the glue heating up in the sun and coming off.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you can buy this for $300 from the dealer and it will match the gauges. it's made for Japan so it installs at the 3 o'clock position on the gauge hood. it is made for the 08... I don't know the part number but they can look it up for you. it's expensive but it has a warranty and is made for the car. oh also it measures in hg not psi.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts