Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been doing research on brake and suspension upgrades. I can't decide what to do first...

Brake Upgrade
-Endless SS-Sport Brake Pads (front)
-Endless Brake Lines
-Endless Brake Fluid
-Drilled and Slotted Rotors (front)

Suspension Upgrade
-Cobb Springs
-Cusco Strut Brace

one of my friends thinks i should do the suspension because i had to remove the crash bar to install the FMIC and the springs should help my 60ft times.
on the other hand, i need to be able to stop. lol.

both shopping lists are about the same price before shipping/install is added...
brake = ~540
suspension = ~410

·
Registered
717 Posts
decisions, decisions. since you seem to enjoy the track and im going to assume that your current breaks aren't on the way out just yet, i would suggest doing the suspension first. however, i bet whatever you are going to do first, the second part is going to come very soon after because you are addicted to modding. & this way you already have 100+ bucks towards the breaks already anyway.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The Cobb springs got a pretty lukewarm reception on the NASIOC boards. Not 100% sure how much that's worth but it might be worth reading as you make your decision.

·
Registered
629 Posts
0-60 is just as important as 60-0.......just keep that in mind. ;D

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you're going down the track, i would say brakes first (though the 2 should come together).

As i mentioned before, we've got several stock cars that had brake fading and couldn't stop after high speed straight. Wasn't fun.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Cobb springs got a pretty lukewarm reception on the NASIOC boards.
hmm, i'll do a little more research today.

0-60 is just as important as 60-0.......just keep that in mind. ;D
right, i think i got the 0-60 down. a new brake setup would be nice to have.

If you're going down the track, i would say brakes first (though the 2 should come together).
As i mentioned before, we've got several stock cars that had brake fading and couldn't stop after high speed straight. Wasn't fun.
wow, that sucks. i'm still undecided though :(
more research needs to be down lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
For now, I'd recommend upgrading at least your front swaybar.. and then the brake pads. That will address the two biggest weaknesses of the '08 WRX.

I'm on a 'wait & see' mode for springs. Cobb has traditionally gone too low up front to enhance performance (and their own testing video on YouTube suggests that they've done it again).. so I'm waiting to see if someone is going to make a set that offers reasonable performance at a reasonable ride height for the best compromise (for me)... kinda like the previous Prodrive springs. The Swifts sound promising.. and the RalliTeks might turn out good as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
unless you are consistently braking, you should have enough time for the brakes to cool down and have good braking power over again.

i would do suspsension upgrades first. it'll make the car much more fun and enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
344 Posts
^^ +1 The brakes on the 08 are the least of our worries. I'm thinking the two pot calipers can handle it, with upgraded rotors only. However the body roll is quite moderate so that's where I'd go first ;D

·
Registered
128 Posts
unless you are consistently braking, you should have enough time for the brakes to cool down and have good braking power over again.
^^ +1 The brakes on the 08 are the least of our worries. I'm thinking the two pot calipers can handle it, with upgraded rotors only. However the body roll is quite moderate so that's where I'd go first ;D
The stock brakes are done after two miles of twisty backroad driving. If you're only planning to drive on straight/flat roads.. I suppose the stock brakes are dandy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts