Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone post a diy w/ pics for removal of the front bumper?

I've read in other threads about how easy it is to take it off, but when I'm trying to take it off to install the sports grille, it just won't budge ???

Exactly how many of the little plastic fasteners do I have to pull out of the bottom of the bumper?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can anyone post a diy w/ pics for removal of the front bumper?

I've read in other threads about how easy it is to take it off, but when I'm trying to take it off to install the sports grille, it just won't budge ???

Exactly how many of the little plastic fasteners do I have to pull out of the bottom of the bumper?
If changing the grill is all you want to do, just remove the 8 plastic fasteners above the grille and you can pull the top of the bumper back to remove the 4 screws holding in the grille on the bottom. The grille is backed by an additional part of the bumper.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Becareful with the bumper removal as it is easy to warp, and with the pulling easy for the paint to fold.

Take lots of time. Guys I know prefer to hack their arms up and get to the screws from the underside.

;D

·
Registered
502 Posts
I totally agree, i tried to remove the bumper to install my grill and super tones. I took off all the tabs that holds the bumper on but i couldnt get it to disconnect itself from the fender. I gave up on removing the bumper and just hacked my arm up reaching to the screws of the grill. When you remove all the things holding the grill in, you have to get a nice grip on the lower part of the grill and use the wiggle pull, wiggle pull technique until it releases. Took me a good 10-20 minutes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried both methods of bending back the grille and going in from the top to acess the 4 screws, and from underneath by reaching in between the radiator and bumper. The only problem was that there just wasn't enough room to get my arm in there!

Note that I'm a pretty skinny guy, 140 lbs, and I don't have bulging forearms and biceps 8)

When I tried bending back the grille for top acess, I could only reach the 2 screws in the middle; the 2 on the outer edges were out of reach of my hand, let alone if I tried to get a screwdriver in there.

From the bottom; there seems to be a plastic underbody guard that only leaves a few small areas ("holes" each approx. the size of my fist) that I can actually reach upwards through. Is this a premium package thing, or are canadian spec cars different like this?

I'll try to get some pictures up tonight when I get home; its annoying having a brand new grille sitting at home and being unable to install it :-[

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also tried going through just the grill when I installed my Supertones. I found it to be a HUGE PITA. After getting the cojones to pull on the bumper a little (and man you'd think you are gonna break something the first time), once it 'popped' it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
502 Posts
After removing my grill 4 times, i can do it with my eyes closed.
You can pull the top part of the grill pretty far back and stick 1/2 ur arm down the middle then bend 90 degress to get to the 2 end screws. You have to use a short screw driver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys

A week later, I finally managed to find some time to do the grille install.

In the end, I just bent the grille back and jammed my hand in to undo the 4 screws. I installed the new sports grille the same way, but I guess I bent it back too far because it doesnt sit flush with the headlights anymore :(

If anyone else is thinking about doing the grille install this way...BE GENTLE!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
back when i did my FMIC... i had a hell of a time getting the bumper off and back on. i had such a great time that i vowed to never take it off again. lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok guys

A week later, I finally managed to find some time to do the grille install.

In the end, I just bent the grille back and jammed my hand in to undo the 4 screws. I installed the new sports grille the same way, but I guess I bent it back too far because it doesnt sit flush with the headlights anymore :(

If anyone else is thinking about doing the grille install this way...BE GENTLE!!
On that note, is the grill supposed to sit flush with the headlights? I actually took my bumper off for my grill install like the directions said. Everything went well, but the grill has always stuck a tiny bit out from the headlights. Oh well, its not really noticeable either way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did this twice now, when installing the OEM fog lights and the Sport grill. My best advice is to have a buddy there taking it off and on the install. Its funny the 2nd time i took it off for the sport grill, i did some investigating. Umm there isnt going to be any easier way to replace the lights on the fogs when they decide to burn out. Kinda sucks......bad!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did this twice now, when installing the OEM fog lights and the Sport grill. My best advice is to have a buddy there taking it off and on the install. Its funny the 2nd time i took it off for the sport grill, i did some investigating. Umm there isnt going to be any easier way to replace the lights on the fogs when they decide to burn out. Kinda sucks......bad!
Yeah. I just "took" my bumper off tonight for a sport grill install, (more like pried) and besides cursing to myself I thought, "What a pain in the ass when the fog lights burn out.".

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Grille and supertones is easy without removing the bumper, especially if oyu have ramps of some sort. If not, I seriously suggest you get some.

Pop hood and remove the 4 large clips on the top of and just behind the grill (actually part of the front bumper, so not necessary to remove, but makes things easier). Remove the smaller cilps in front of those. You can get to all 4 of the screws from up top, but it will require a bit of bending your grill. The two in the middle are easy. I suggest having a small mirror so you can see em. Alternatively, remove plastic undertray and get under the bumper. Look up. You should be able to find the 4 small screws on the bottom of the grill pretty easily from here. Remove em. Yank grill out pulling from the rear of the car to the front. There are a couple of plastic clips on the grill that will need to release and may require some uncomfortable force.

My question is where did you guys mount your supertones?

I tried putting em in, but I didn't have enough wire, and I oversoddered some stuff (that probably didn't need sodder in the first place) so I have to try again at making the wiring. I hate sodder.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
There were two holes, one from stock horn and one just on the otherside. I used those two holes for my tones. I need to rewire my connections. Crimped and sodered my connections but I think I might just get rid of the triangle piece i had and just soder the 3 connections into the one...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
use a tap, much easier. The hole ont he passenger side didn't seem to be threaded, did you use a nut or is it threaded and I'm just an idiot?

·
Registered
132 Posts
From what I've read, this seems to be a pretty simple process. However I haven't tried yet - so I guess I'm not one to talk. However, I've found a write up that I'm going to try to use when I go about trying. But this seemed to walk through the process pretty well - and I think there was a link in there that showed how to remove the bumper from the dealership manual.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/132142-2008-sti-front-bumper-removal.html

(Sorry about the link to something outside of 3GWRX.com!!!)

·
Registered
145 Posts
the kink works and removal was very easy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Finally got around to removing my bumper to swap out the grill. I used the following link as a guide:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/132142-2008-sti-front-bumper-removal.html

and it was real easy. All you have to do is make sure you get all the plastic plugs out (there are about 12-15) and then it slides right off. Took me about 5 minutes to take it off and about 3 minutes to get it back on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just fucked around with my bumper for an hour...it's pretty much impossible to take off. I read this thread and went back to look at the grille. It took about 3 mins to get the 4 bottom screws out and change out the stock grille and install the new one. The instructions are brutal so my recommendation is to pry the top of the grille slightly just enough to get your arm in there and take out the screws. Use a small philips screwdriver. It's not very hard to change.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts