Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have this?

When I have the key on ACC or ON but the engine is not running, I hear a l buzzing noise. I think it's coming from the alternator. I looked, listened, smelled etc. but couldn't determine what's causing it. I've never had a car do this before so I'm wondering if it's normal?

·
Registered
519 Posts
It might be your air pump. It is an emission thing that only operates for the frist few minutes the car is running. It sends air to warm up the cat faster. I think that it will run for a second without the engine running tho too.

Seth

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's weird, last night when I was under the hood it wasn't doing it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
mine makes a sort of generator/motor noise... but it also makes this (excuse me) fart noise as the dome light fades in... wtf! haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also hear a loud noise from the engine when i start the car and its cold it sounds like loud engine noise then after about twenty seconds it stops and its quiet? ne body else have this???

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also hear a loud noise from the engine when i start the car and its cold it sounds like loud engine noise then after about twenty seconds it stops and its quiet? ne body else have this???
That's normal. There is a compressor or something that run for a bit when the car starts. There's a thread about it somewhere here, but I don't think you have anything to worry about chuck.

The noise I was hearing sounded electrical and it was there even when the car wasn't running, just in the on position. Like I said though, it went away ???

·
Registered
537 Posts
I get a buzzing noise as well when I put the key in the ignition and when I turn off the car (even if the key is out)
It happens all the time so I guess its normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also hear a buzzing electrical noise coming from the engine compartment that I have never heard before. Its pretty distinct and it happens only when the key is in the ON position, engine not running and engine running. It is not the noise I hear at startup when my car is really cold.

I also installed an AEM intake and pulled the ground on my battery for 20 mins. On first start, after the ground wire was applied, this buzzing noise was happening that I havent really noticed before. I have only warmed the car to normal operating temperature, drove it for 3 miles, and parked it for a couple minutes as I listened to this crazy buzzing since the last "ECU reset," if doing that really resets the ECU, I dont know.

Do you have buzzing in engine compartment with Key in ON position, engine off, infinitely?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
that's the pumps and everything priming the engine

happens mostly after a reflash or the car has been off for a while

you'll also hear a creaking noise when you turn the car off as the dome light fades in

these are all normal noises

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
that's the pumps and everything priming the engine

happens mostly after a reflash or the car has been off for a while

you'll also hear a creaking noise when you turn the car off as the dome light fades in

these are all normal noises
+1 Saturn's got it right...

·
Registered
377 Posts
it seems more deep then whiny and its like a grinding noise its really hard to explain.
Does it sound like this?

http://www.nacron.net/nasioc/ignition.mp3

I was told by my description by the sales staff at subaru that it is the ABS resetting. I only notice it on cold start with the ac in the on position before I start the car. I finally recorded it and now I have to bring the evidence to subaru for them to determine what it really is.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
that could be the HVAC thing moving, its a little motor that moves a big plastic uhh air director thing... so in the cold, the plastic might squeak a little

1 - 14 of 14 Posts