Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to do a c pillar bar, and possibly an x or a z brace with a rear strut tower bar...just to stiffen up the back ( i heart oversteer)...anyone thinking about this?? id have to get it all made custom for sure...and also with quick releases so i can remove one or 2 bars incase i need to haul something large which i rarely do..my friend has a greddy rear tower bar, megan racing c pillar, and 2 megan racing c pillar bars in the back of his tc, and he said with them in his car feels so much stiffer in curves, basically like a mini cage in the back with no safety in mind haha

·
Registered
239 Posts
Different rear suspension in the 08 with no big strut towers. This is what I have on mine. Whiteline rear sway braces.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
there are rear strut bars for the 08 but they won't do anything. the unibody construction goes right under where you'd have your strut bar. waste of money if you ask me.

do like he did and just reinforce the swaybar mounts and other locations. the rest of the car is already stiffer than the 07 design.

·
Registered
128 Posts
TIC and Boxer4Racing are your friends for Whiteline stuff.

i want to do a c pillar bar, and possibly an x or a z brace with a rear strut tower bar...just to stiffen up the back ( i heart oversteer)...anyone thinking about this??
Stiffening the chassis/frame and stiffening the suspension are two completely different things. Stiffening the rear suspension (in relation to the front) will make the car more tailhappy (power-on oversteer is still out of the question without a rear bias in power). Stiffening the chassis will just make an ultra stiff suspension more efficient (accurate). What I'm trying to say is: Chassis braces do not alter a car's handling balance.

The '93-'07 Impreza wagons saw benefits from rear strut braces in even mild states of tune because the rear chapman struts put a horizontal load on the chassis in one of the weakest parts of the car (the middle of the C pillar). The rear shocks and springs on the '08 transfer no horizontal loads at all. There are top and bottom A-arms in the rear that transfer all horizontal loads to the rear subframe.

Most braces are a complete waste of money and nothing more than added weight unless you're running a very stiff suspension. I would strongly recommend you put money into replacing soft bushings before worrying about stiffening the chassis with braces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts