Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone change out their cabin filters with a non-oem filter? I'm trying to find an alternative filter because the OEM filter ain't cheap and Subaru wants their customers to replace it every 7,500 mi / 12 months. The cabin filter in the 08-09 is NOT like previous years even though all aftermarket compaines indicate they are on their websites. I ordered WIX p/n 24485 and it doesn't fit. Looking at the OEM filter on the 08-09, it comes with the filter media integrated into the plastic frame so this would explain why it is more expensive than typical drop in cabin filters. I thought about trying the "home depot" trick of cutting a similar sized piece of 3M filter but unfortunately the frame would not provide an air tight seal using this method. If anyone has any ideas post'em up!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I havent tried using non OEM. 7.5K is a bi ridiculous IMO. I looked at mine this week (11.5K miles) and it seems ok.....
I suggest checking the cabin filter every oil change and pat off the loose bits, and maybe vacuum it a bit. I did buy a new 1 from FredBeans..... how much did you find the OEM one for?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I just blow mine out with compressed air... Works like a charm ;D ... but you can really only do that so many times.. after a while if it gets TOO dirty then you just have to replace it... but blowing it clean works for a while! lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The prices I've seen range between $25~$35. I guess I'll just try to clean in periodically and see if I can get away with replacing it once per year. I just can't get myself to spend over $50 per year on a cabin filter that looks pretty lame. The filter media on the OEM part looks good enough to filter out twigs but nothing smaller. The older subaru cabin filter looks like a real filter than can actually filter out dust and pollen. I think when I order the OEM filter I will try to find a way to modify the old one to accept a drop in.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
+1 for this, buy aftermarket or subaru genuine parts (if you want oem),
dealer charged me 100 for part w/ installation (w/ my 15k mile maintenance and an extra 15% off total)

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Anyone have the link or the Subaru part number to use in https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html
Don't need a part number if you order from them.
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1547
Thanks my car is 18 month old I guess I should change this.
mines 23 months old, with 44,700 miles... waiting for mine to come in mail ;D. Wonder how dirty it will be since I do live on a dirt road...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Anyone have the link or the Subaru part number to use in https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html
Don't need a part number if you order from them.
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1547
Changed mine this week. About 22K on the car. Don't go on many dirt roads, and live in the pacific NW, where it's not overly dusty. Even then I was surprised how dirty it was. With double the miles and driving on dirt I expect yours to be pretty dirty :)

SJ

Thanks my car is 18 month old I guess I should change this.
mines 23 months old, with 44,700 miles... waiting for mine to come in mail ;D. Wonder how dirty it will be since I do live on a dirt road...

Changed mine this week. About 22K on the car. Don't go on many dirt roads, and live in the pacific NW, where it's not overly dusty. Even then I was surprised how dirty it was. With double the miles and driving on dirt I expect yours to be pretty dirty :)

SJ

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Anyone else like adding a nice-smelling dryer sheet in the filter to act as an air freshener? ;D

I like my car smelling like a Mountain Stream ;)

Where is the filter located lol?
It's behind the glove box.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Anyone else like adding a nice-smelling dryer sheet in the filter to act as an air freshener? ;D

I like my car smelling like a Mountain Stream ;)

Where is the filter located lol?
It's behind the glove box.
Thats a good idea!!! I'm gonna try that! Lol

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Yep, it'll actually save the filter some cleaning also when you change the sheet since it traps stuff itself.

Just, obviously, make sure you put it on the "dirty" side of the filter... don't need that getting sucked in the A/C system ! :D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yep, it'll actually save the filter some cleaning also when you change the sheet since it traps stuff itself.

Just, obviously, make sure you put it on the "dirty" side of the filter... don't need that getting sucked in the A/C system ! :D
Lol of course! I'm gonna blow out my filter and throw in a dryer sheet as soon as I get my car back :D!!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Got a coupon in the mail from subaru or something... it was like 64.99 for cabin air filter replacement! Seriously, who the hell would pay that much for it considering how often you are supposed to replace it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
hmmm... every year !
i never change mine and i have the car for 24 months and 40 000km
I was smelling a weird smell lately with the aircon on sometime, maybe its time to have a look a it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can get the cabin filter for a WRX with the plastic frame / housing at http://www.freshcabinair.com

I've bought the Wix one before and it does NOT come with the frame, so i had to cut the frame out, drop the plain filter in the hole and use the big part of the frame to seal up the hole.. the filters from fresh cabin air, INCLUDE the frame and look just like stock for much cheaper!

just thought id let you know.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts