Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Ok, so as you might guess from the name of the thread, I'm looking for those out there with little kids. I am looking to get WRX in the next year. I'm 99% sure it HAS to be a WRX..it is just a question of which one. I personally like the 5door (as I have had two different hatches in a row...02 civic Si, 06 toyota Matrix). Anybody out there have the hatch and able to put a stroller or two in the back? The reason why I ask is that while I don't have any kids, there may be little joneSis running around out there shortly, and I saw the new WRX up close today. I'm thinking it is smaller than my matrix. So I pose the following questions:

Is the 5 door big enough for two strollers?

Does the 4 door have a real 'trunk' that could take on two?

I'm not SUPER concerned about it, my wife has an MDX so it is big enough...however when I have the youngin(s) for the day or whatever I'd like to be able to use my car.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance,
joneSi

·
Registered
145 Posts
All,

Ok, so as you might guess from the name of the thread, I'm looking for those out there with little kids. I am looking to get WRX in the next year. I'm 99% sure it HAS to be a WRX..it is just a question of which one. I personally like the 5door (as I have had two different hatches in a row...02 civic Si, 06 toyota Matrix). Anybody out there have the hatch and able to put a stroller or two in the back? The reason why I ask is that while I don't have any kids, there may be little joneSis running around out there shortly, and I saw the new WRX up close today. I'm thinking it is smaller than my matrix. So I pose the following questions:

Is the 5 door big enough for two strollers?

Does the 4 door have a real 'trunk' that could take on two?

I'm not SUPER concerned about it, my wife has an MDX so it is big enough...however when I have the youngin(s) for the day or whatever I'd like to be able to use my car.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance,
joneSi
I have the 4 door and I'm able to slide the stroller back there. Two won't fit. You can always borrow a stroller from someone and take it down to the dealership to test it out.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so the trunk is at least big enough for one [in the 4 dr]. Did you look at the 5 door at all? Can anybody help me to compare the size of the trunk/cargo area for the 4 and 5 door. The cargo volume that subaru lists on the website is almost useless. It is measured in cubic feet...which is fine, except for the fact that I think it was measured from the floor to the ceiling. Not exactly how I want to roll in this thing...

thanks,
joneSi

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 5 door is shorter. I couldn't lay my stroller down flat in the back of it, however, you can put it in at an angle or have the stroller straight up vertically, though it may impede on rear visibility. I'm not sure about stuffing two of them in there though. It depends on stroller size too.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have one of those queen mary sized strollers that the car seet snaps in and out of. It collapses down flat and fits easily in the hatch. There's room left over for a diaper bag and if you really stuffed it, probably enough luggage for a 2-3 day trip. I have a bigger problem with the car seat. My wife can't put her seat back very far without hitting the carseat, and she is tiny. Strollers get smaller as kids get older too, so that could help down the road. Overall I'd say it's pretty kid friendly if you are packing just one kid for a few days or maybe 2 kids if you are just buzzing around town and have really short legs.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, ok so I guess I'll have to take a look again at the sedan. I do really like the hatch, but if the sedan can take a stroller down where the hatch might not be able to. Otherwise there is no difference between the two, right?

As far as having short legs, all I can say is that they aren't long...I'm 5'8", so its pretty easy for me.

At an angle wouldn't be that big of a deal, I guess, as long as I could still see out. This is for going around town...the wife has the car for longer trips w/ the MDX.

to WRX--> As far as the stroller that fits into the back, what brand is it? If you get a chance can you snap a pic of it?

joneSi

EDIT: Added a question

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 08 2.5i 5-door hatch... I'm a little past the stroller phase with my kids, but one feature that is nice is with the carseat/ booster seat. Has nice tiebacks and harness restraints all around, but the fact that the doors open out so much is such a great feature. Trying to buckle a 6 year old in without that is almost impossible... I find myself trying to open other people's doors the same amount and getting disappointed. The trunk cargo area is plenty big enough for all the crap I carry, adn like you said for the longer trips we just jump in the MDX (my wife has an 03) so that takes care of that.

Good luck!

-Rob

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the 5 dr because I like the way it looks. SWP 5 door FTW...Anyway, we'll likely have two kids, but by the time one is out of 'stroller' age, the other is on the way, so I really need room for one kid seat.

I don't mind if it is sitting at an angle in the back, but I don't want it to be super obnoxious in my mirror, either. I think I can live with it. I really want the hatch. So I guess as long as it -mostly- fits, I'm good. The other thing that can be done is to fold the '40' part of the 60/40 seat down and slide it on through...that will work until kid #2.

I'll take suggestions about combo infant seats and strollers if ya'll have 'em. I'm looking for compact strollers.

Thanks all!

joneSi

·
Registered
77 Posts
i didnt read the whole thing, but it will largely depend on what type of strollers you are using. if you are still using the rear facing seats and have the travel center strollers that attach to it, it will depend on the models.

if you are like me and have the smaller strollers (ours is a chicco fold up type), then we could get several in my 5 door if needed. ..i only have to get one in, but it fits easily. The bigger travel center types can be bulky, but it largely depends on which model/brand you are using as to how big and bulky it is.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a hatch I think it will fit it depends on the stroller you get and how far it collapses. I had my eclipse and i cleaned the back hatch completely out and i couldnt' get my daughters stroller in it. a month later i got rid of it....I haven't tried yet with the Subie.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies, all. It sounds as if most think that a stroller will fit, but two is pushing it. I'll start to look around for an infant stroller carseat combo that is compact enough to fold way down. If anybody has any more brand suggestions, I am mostly worried about the infant seats and strollers, since they are the biggest. If anybody has pics, that would be great, but a suggestion is just as good 8)

So this car has more room than the eclipse did? It would seem to me that the eclipse was fairly big (though I never had one).

Thanks,
joneSi

edit: Q for GraysonSubaru: Is that an infant seat and stroller? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have a 4 month old, I can fit her graco stroller folded in the back of my 5-door, with a tool box, diaper bag, collapsable infant bed, and luggage for both my wife and i for a weekend...5 door has plenty of space.

You might have to do some creative arranging and putting some smaller things in the floorboards of the backseat, but you can fit a fair amount of stuff.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 4 month old, I can fit her graco stroller folded in the back of my 5-door, with a tool box, diaper bag, collapsable infant bed, and luggage for both my wife and i for a weekend...5 door has plenty of space.

You might have to do some creative arranging and putting some smaller things in the floorboards of the backseat, but you can fit a fair amount of stuff.
Awesome. Do you have the graco model or anything? A picture of the stroller loaded could be worth 1,000 words

+1 to you, thanks.

joneSi

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Awesome. Do you have the graco model or anything? A picture of the stroller loaded could be worth 1,000 words

+1 to you, thanks.

joneSi
I don't have the model of the graco (it's no longer on their website, older model)...but it IS a "Full size" stroller, not a compact one.

I'll see what I can do as far as a picture, I may not have time to do that until the weekend :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

+1 to you, thanks.

joneSi
I don't have the model of the graco (it's no longer on their website, older model)...but it IS a "Full size" stroller, not a compact one.

I'll see what I can do as far as a picture, I may not have time to do that until the weekend :)
Everybody,

Thanks for the information. If anybody has a model that they recommend for the stroller, let me know (besides the graco and or others). I'm chomping at the bit to get the SWP 5 door, de-chrome it, red tails, tints, subaru short shift, subaru spt springs, and rallitek sways. I'll be gathering parts over the next year before I buy. I have the springs on the way (they'll be here today). I'll get the short shift next, followed by the sways, and finally tail tints. This settles it...5 door it is!

joneSi

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Lot's of people get Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe strollers because the carseat can be moved out of the car and lock into a stroller. It's nice because you don't have to take a sleeping baby in and out of a carseat, you just bring the whole thing with you. It's really safe too.

The tradeoff is that it's "full size" and takes up a buttload of space. I could fit 2 in the car with a bunch of other stuff if I packed it to the roof. The reality for most people is you don't do a whole lot of extended travel while the kids are really young and in infant car seats. When they are a bit older you can put them in toddler car seats and buy smaller lightweight strollers for when you are on the road for extended periods.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you think you could fit at least one of those strollers in the back?

joneSi

EDIT: Oh man! I just watched a video of this on You Tube...and at one point he folds it up. If THAT won't fit in the back of the WRX 5 door, I'd be SHOCKED. I guess it wouldn't fit with a TON of other stuff, but that should be no problem...even for a gigantic stroller. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. It seems as if we have more than a few moms and dads on here. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts