Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considering a car computer?

I'm looking at this one, but you can buy just the enclosure and add your own Mini ITX Motherboard.

I'm wondering if I could then run engine management directly from this and have virtual gauges up on the flip-up screen. That would be uber-cool.

I figure I could throw in a Delorme USB GPS, a compact Flash Wifi Card, and probably save a chunk of cash.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I get distracted enough with just the radio LOL.

Seth

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
We built one in my co-worker Jetta city, i will come back to you when i will be back to canada but i think you better go with a 7" non-flip touch screen, look way better IMO
he also run a with USB wifi, bluethoot mouse ball and keyboard ect. just let me know which info you need i will look at work to get you the info you need to built a decent cheap setup

·
Registered
17 Posts
I plan on putting in a carputer when I've paid off my loan. I second the non-flip LCD suggestion. You'll probably have to make a custom bezzle but it will look a lot better and it'll be easier to use.

mp3car.com is a good form for car pc info.

·
Registered
421 Posts
sorry, anyone able to enlighten me whats the use of a carputer? does it replace the ECU or works independently for ICE?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Its litterally a PC (or MAC) in your car, you get a 7" wide touchscreen in place of your H.U, plug it with a Carputer or motherboard hidden in the car and a small CD player
add to this, WIFI, Bluethoot, GPS etc... the possibility are unlimited

·
Registered
103 Posts
heh, the way i drive my REX, i dont have time for a computer:p who cares:p got email on my blueberry(yeah i know), mp3s on my factory stereo? what else would i need? movies? not in a wrx, i like the car too much:) i enjoy movies on my 80" screen :p at home:)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Its litterally a PC (or MAC) in your car, you get a 7" wide touchscreen in place of your H.U, plug it with a Carputer or motherboard hidden in the car and a small CD player
add to this, WIFI, Bluethoot, GPS etc... the possibility are unlimited
interesting....

·
Registered
91 Posts
concerning the OP's question of whether or not engine management can be run from a carputer, I believe the answer is no in my experiance. To do so i believe would require someone to write some very specific programming. And those companies don't seem to be doing that. You can get ODBII info sent to the computer if you have it set up correctly.

Now, asside from running EM, there is a whole host of awesome stuff you can do with a Carputer. I myself run all my music (over 60 gigs of mp3s) on my carputer, GPS so i never get lost, WiFi (and if you can afford it, mobil broadband), web surfing, playing DVD, avi's, etc. I know of people on MP3car.com who have traffic and weather updates on their carputer. Some even have a TV card so they can watch the news while sitting in traffic. HD Radio anyone? instead of me buying the $400 eclipse unit to use with my head unit, i bought a $60 vistion HD tuner and run it through my carputer.

and EVERYTHING is done via USB2 for me so no connection lag/problems.

It is the future of carputing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
From my own personal experiance, I think you'll find having the touchscreen/monitor (or whatevr you choose) built into the dash a) looks better and b) you don't have to worry about you motorized/non-motorized touchscreen popping out and breaking, or jamming or just not moving. I am getting rid of my spring-loaded touchscreen because I like the built-in OEM look much better.

·
Registered
298 Posts
carputer was the best thing i did in my car (350z.. not the wrx). you can do anything on a carpc that you can do on a normal pc, so if there's engine management stuff that works on a laptop, you'll be able to do engine management with the carpc. i don't have anything like that, but it's certainly possible. there's a lot of OBDII stuff out there which i have, and it's quite useful. i have my mp3s, gps, wireless internet, video game emulators, obdii, a mounted webcam, bluetooth, etc. i'm using a mac mini and booting it up in windows xp. it automatically starts up when i turn the car on, and goes on stand by when the car's off. it'll force a shut down if the power gets low enough. and all the sound plays quite well through the factory system.

here's mine:

when i first put it in (don't have any recent pictures. it's been secured, a switch to put it in standby has been put in, and a shelf has been built since then):

the whole mess of wiring:

if you're interested, check out www.mp3car.com and carnetix makes some good power supplies for do it yourself stuff. my whole setup (including the obdii, webcam, wiring, etc) was about $1500

and a video from the webcam at an autox. the built in mic can't quite handle all the noise ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can easily run OBDII diagnostics/tunning/loggin with Enginuity/RomRaider. Nothing special is required except the Tatrix cable. The logger has some nice gaugues that can display what ever you select.

I am an expert on molding screens to OEM bezels. I have done WRXs/Legacys/Civics/etc. You can check out my site for some nice examples. I really want a customer with an 08 WRX so I can do such molding as well. If anyone needs anything I can provide some competitive prices and great workmanship.

Wil
www.carpc4u.com

·
Registered
12 Posts

I also want to inform you guys that I am now offering Transflective screens. These screens are sunlight readable and almost eliminate glare. I'll be posting them on the site today and will provide comparison pics as well as vids in the future. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts