Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, that sound was driving me crazy and this morning while reading I noticed a post with a potent solution I tried and it works really great.

Thanks a lot to Halcyon100 for the Idea

First of all you need. a few inches of velcro ( we are only using the soft part), a star screw driver (well I do not know if that's the english name) scisors and of course the cargo area cover.

We will start by the easy side the one with a spring. first of all unscrew both sides of it, watch the spring he jumped at me ;).

I put the plastic end back on it and marked how far it went on the cargo cover, so I knew how where to stop using velcro.

then just put the velcro on on the thre full sides, watch not to cover the screw holes.

for the side with the opening for the covre to pass I cut the velcro in half.

now screw it all up again

the fun part. Just to make sure I put velcro on the other side to tighten it a bit please take note that the first pat took me 5 minutes the next about 45 minutes as I fought with it before understanding how it works. it really is a pain but I think it is worth it

unscrew it all make sure you do not loose the with plastic thing as it is the rolling part of the cargo cover

now put the velcro on but make sure it's at least 1/2 an inch from the edge or else it will totally block the plastic piece from going back in place

put the little white thing in it's intended hole in the metal part not the plastic one, you'll see it's made to roll free in the plactic part.

even if everything is correctely done the plasic part won't fall back in his place. place the cargo cover standing on the ground the moving end we did first on down push softly until the spring is all squeesed dand the apply pressure until you here a toc sound the plastic part will then be in place just put the screws back on. ( I had to hit him a little for it to fall in place).

then just to make sure I put velcro on both extremities

reinstall in your car works great

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so humm sorry for my english guys if you have any corrections tell me I'll make them any contrusctive commenteries will be enjoyed even praises but bad sarcasm won't ::) ;) thank you

·
Registered
61 Posts
I haven't interrogated the sound, but I figured the noise was the thing flapping up and down not the bar making noise.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it's been quite a while I did it and no noise from the rear since ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
This is awesome! Great job. I did this also (the noise was killing me) :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Great solution to an irritating cabin noise!!! ;D

I was a little skeptical at 1st because I thought the noise was from the "cheapo" interior trim at the boot as I tried removing the whole damn cover and yet the noise persisted.

Thanx. 8)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
^^^^^^^I love your SIG :D Applaud +1 Karma just because of it ahahahaha

·
Registered
377 Posts
Did this last night, thank god for this how to. I read that it might be the hatch lock hopping on the latch and I put electrical tape on it and it silenced the major noises for a while but the clicking was still there and this fixed it. Only trouble I had was putting the stationary cap back on, had to spread the aluminum a bit to get it to fit in the grooves at the end of the cap.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup it's a tight fit and harder to use afterward but I think it's a good compromise for the noise

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lucky you :D before the DIY I had a bad creaking sound opened or not

·
Registered
821 Posts
nice DIY. i bought mine used from a subie dealer and it didnt come with that cover :-\ . no biggie, i just have a dark brown blanket back there coupled with my tinted window to hide anything if needed.

·
Registered
377 Posts
nice DIY. i bought mine used from a subie dealer and it didnt come with that cover :-\ . no biggie, i just have a dark brown blanket back there coupled with my tinted window to hide anything if needed.
They probably took it out and was going to try to sell it to you. One location of the dealer I went to tried to do that...they said it didn't come with it and it was a $125 option, but for me they'll throw it in for free (but they jacked up the price of the car)

I did this a while ago and it got rid of the majority of the noise, but I still get some creeking. Some is attributed to the metal pole in the storage for the jack. I took it out and it makes less noise from it rubbing on the styrofoam insert.

·
Registered
485 Posts
this whole time I was wondering where the fk the noise was coming from, and now I know.... I am sooo glad I paid the 125 extra for this :(

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this whole time I was wondering where the fk the noise was coming from, and now I know.... I am sooo glad I paid the 125 extra for this :(
Unless your glasses are tinted I think it's a must have even with tint couldn't live without it when I drive long distances my hat sits there :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts