Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this link posted up on the My Subaru website and I just wanted to share it with you guys, because I found it to be interesting and helpful:

http://content.subaru.com/mys/content/Subaru_Turbo_Education.pdf

A few things they stated:
1.) Change the oil immediately before and after a track day or autocross event.
2.) Allow the engine to idle for 30 seconds before shutting off after highway or high-load driving.
3.) Do not apply more than half-throttle to the vehicle during the warmup period.
4.) Always make sure the engine oil is at proper level and be sure to change your oil at the recommended intervals, as the oil plays a large part in the overall life of the turbocharger.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice list.

I have to add that I've always heard 1 minute for turbo cool down. I've also heard to not push the car hard within 2 miles of your destination.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nice list.

I have to add that I've always heard 1 minute for turbo cool down. I've also heard to not push the car hard within 2 miles of your destination.
I also heard that the new turbo cars in this day and age don't require to wait for turbo to cool down, hence no need for use of turbo timers. Can anyone verify this once and for all?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I believe that it depends. I swear I read that our turbos are water cooled? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm way too tired to be at work right now :eek:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Our Turbos are water cooled. No turbo timer is needed. Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read the PDF, that's why I posted it. The turbocharger uses engine oil for lubrication and water for cooling. Subaru says to let the engine idle for 30 seconds after hard driving; there is no need for a turbo timer for that.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Nice list.

I also heard that the new turbo cars in this day and age don't require to wait for turbo to cool down, hence no need for use of turbo timers. Can anyone verify this once and for all?
That is where the Turbo Timer question came from... I don't think that anyone was doubting the info that you were posting, it is good info ;) Thank you!

So I guess you could sit in your driveway and count to 30, while your ride is at idle, or maybe... don't drive it like you stole it, park it and run into your home with the cops on your tail :D you should be ok (sorry I had to get my little shot in there)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts