Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Rex sedan that is stock w only 28k miles. I hate the OEM exhaust, doesn't even sound or feel like a subie.

So as far as catbacks, for sound and boost I've read threads for Invidia and Perrin.

Honestly I haven't found a pro/con that out weighs either one. Or if anyone can suggest a cb I'm open to ideas.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There are many exhaust options out there, do some searching around a bit and take a look at the different vendors sites to see what you would like. Youtube will help for sound, but the catback is not going impact your boost at all. Its really not going to do anything other than change the sound.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Magnaflow SS.I put this exhaust on 2 yrs.ago no rust, welds are perfect, and sounds great! Shop around for best price.Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many exhaust options out there, do some searching around a bit and take a look at the different vendors sites to see what you would like. Youtube will help for sound, but the catback is not going impact your boost at all. Its really not going to do anything other than change the sound.
At what point or part when do you start changing the exhaust all the back to the headers do you lose the subie sound? Is it possible to mod and increase boost and retain sound?

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magnaflow SS.I put this exhaust on 2 yrs.ago no rust, welds are perfect, and sounds great! Shop around for best price.Good Luck!
Any power loss or gains? Is a catback mainly for sound?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Do u want loudness. And awesome rumble. Or mild sound with more mild rumble. I have the tusedo exhaust. I love it. It's a invidia knockoff.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Plus its cheap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Since the catback is pretty much just for the sound, I would suggest scouring Youtube. There is an exhaust note video for every brand imaginable.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do u want loudness. And awesome rumble. Or mild sound with more mild rumble. I have the tusedo exhaust. I love it. It's a invidia knockoff.
Not obnoxious loud but at least the typical signature low rumble scubby sound. Just curious when you start changing out more pipes like the up or dp does that sound drastically change when you start increasing performance?

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since the catback is pretty much just for the sound, I would suggest scouring Youtube. There is an exhaust note video for every brand imaginable.
Ya been trying to compare even though I'm sure there is major difference in person. Thank You!! :))

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Not obnoxious loud but at least the typical signature low rumble scubby sound. Just curious when you start changing out more pipes like the up or dp does that sound drastically change when you start increasing performance?
No it does not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you might be able to find a SPT exhaust as a take off from someones car. I have one on my 09 hatchback and I think it is perfect. I am running stage 2+ and the exhaust is quite around town, but when you get on it in the open road the exhaust sounds throuty and like a Subaru should sound. My $0.02

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you might be able to find a SPT exhaust as a take off from someones car. I have one on my 09 hatchback and I think it is perfect. I am running stage 2+ and the exhaust is quite around town, but when you get on it in the open road the exhaust sounds throuty and like a Subaru should sound. My
you might be able to find a SPT exhaust as a take off from someones car. I have one on my 09 hatchback and I think it is perfect. I am running stage 2+ and the exhaust is quite around town, but when you get on it in the open road the exhaust sounds throuty and like a Subaru should sound. My $0.02
You still get the low rumble and scubby sound even from the spt? How's it sound ideling? Or around 2500rpm?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Youtube really has pretty much everything on there and there are some nice videos. You will make more power with a proper tune and downpipe (don't do a downpipe without a tune). You can do a stage 1 tune but that doesn't require a cat back but will net you some more power and you can add an intake, etc. You will only change the rumble sound if you go to equal length headers otherwise it may change the tone a bit but not the rumble itself.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Youtube really has pretty much everything on there and there are some nice videos. You will make more power with a proper tune and downpipe (don't do a downpipe without a tune). You can do a stage 1 tune but that doesn't require a cat back but will net you some more power and you can add an intake, etc. You will only change the rumble sound if you go to equal length headers otherwise it may change the tone a bit but not the rumble itself.
That's great info! My burning question is where do I start? Do I look into a cte or just start by changing out the downpipe first then stage 1 tune?

·
Registered
330 Posts
It depends how much you want too spend really as far as just catback or downpipe as well. Start by looking on one of the vendors websites and listening on YouTube to the different exhausts they have for sale. There are also the Ebay exhausts out there too.

You would use a stage 2 tune for a downpipe and stage 1 for catback.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It depends how much you want too spend really as far as just catback or downpipe as well. Start by looking on one of the vendors websites and listening on YouTube to the different exhausts they have for sale. There are also the Ebay exhausts out there too.

You would use a stage 2 tune for a downpipe and stage 1 for catback.
Which is recommended, stage 2 then down pipe or dp then stage 2?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Which is recommended, stage 2 then down pipe or dp then stage 2?
You have to do the downpipe and stage 2 tune at the same time. If you have a cobb AP you can run their base stage 2 map that comes with the AP and upgrade to a better off the shelf stage 2 tune or get a custom tune for you mods if you add anything else (like a intake, intercooler, ebcs, etc.).

Reactions: Hoonigan808

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have to do the downpipe and stage 2 tune at the same time. If you have a cobb AP you can run their base stage 2 map that comes with the AP and upgrade to a better off the shelf stage 2 tune or get a custom tune for you mods if you add anything else (like a intake, intercooler, ebcs, etc.).
That's awesome info thanks!
Is it worth doing a Cobb stage 1 before using catbacks?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts