Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just messing around with my car in the garage when I decided to start the car with my airbox open. Now my dumbass has a check engine light. Anyone know how to clear a check engine light off?

Thanks

Nate

·
Registered
752 Posts
it might go away if you close the air box and drive around. if that doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery.
i forgot to plug some sensor back in one day and as soon as i started the car, the CEL went on. I fixed the sensor and went to work. on the way home i noticed that the CEL wasn't on.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Reseal the Air box
Disconnect Battery
Reconnect Battery
Done.

The reason the CEL comes on is that by running the car with the airbox open you effectively destroyed the car's ability to predictably pull air and thus measure that air quantity, making it impossible for the car t know how much fuel to inject.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I had already reset the airbox and did the old battery disconnect-reconnect, and its still on. I talked to a guy in the service dept at the dealer, and he told me that the car will automatically clear it off after a few shut downs and start ups.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah I had already reset the airbox and did the old battery disconnect-reconnect, and its still on. I talked to a guy in the service dept at the dealer, and he told me that the car will automatically clear it off after a few shut downs and start ups.
How long did you have the battery disconnected?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah, the battery should be disconnected for a few mins, also some cars clear it after a few start-ups, not really sure about our cars...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts