Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it or not, I've never actually removed/replaced a car wheel. :-[ Someone else installed my current (aftermarket) wheels.

Anyway, I was planning to put my stock wheels on for the winter. Each wheel has 1 locking lug nut, and of course I have the "key". My issue is that the tools I have to work with are the jack + wrench included in the car's trunk. If I put the "key" on the special lug nut and use the cheapo wrench, do you suppose there will be any issues removing and replacing the wheels? Or, would I need a heavier duty wrench?

Thx. :-[

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I dont see why it would be a problem.. I have used a normal tire iron and a "key" to take off rims before have you heard that it is bad top do so?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I haven't heard that it's bad to do so, but I'm just scared of messing something up and making a fool of myself.My biggest fear is that the car would fall (like if the jack gave out) while I'm trying to switch around wheels. :-\ :-[

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
a wrench is a wrench, if it can grab/seat well, doesnt fall apart, and not scratch anything, it shouldnt be a problem.
If you have trouble with it being too tight, use a long pipe and put it onto the wrench handle and push gently.... and I stress gently. I use it just to help me out with the initial part.... I'm a small guy.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If your worried about falling off a jack.. invest in some jack stands.. or ramps they are like $30 and you can just drive up on them.. but i dont think you have to worrie about pulling your car off the jack unless your useing an elephant to step on the tire iron :)

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
break the lug nuts w/ the wheels on the ground just slightly before you jack it up. it is alot easier that way and it should not fall off a jack or jackstands because the hard work is done on the ground. ;)
+1 Always loosen the nuts before jacking up the car and putting on stands. Life is much easier and safer that way :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried changing my wheels and the stupid wrench in the trunk won't even fit into the holes on the wheels, so I can't even get the wrench over the lug nuts to loosen them!!! :mad:

·
Registered
176 Posts
If that's your only issue, go out and get yourself a torque wrench. I used to change my wheels with the spare tire tools, but once I got a torque wrench, my life was SO much easier. Go into your local autoparts store, you'll need a wrench that can torque to... I think it's 70 or so ft-lbs. Find someone and ask them if they can help you find the proper socket to fit your current lugs. And also, bring one of your stock lugs with you too, so you can get an additional socket if they're not the same size. Life is MUCH easier with a torque wrench.

Also +12345 for breaking the lugs loose on the ground.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You should get a Craftman TQ wrench to tighten the lugnuts back on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't get a torque wrench. I took the cheap route :-[ and got a 4-way wrench like the one pictured below...

Well, it fits my wheels, but I can't loosen the lug nuts! I'm such a wimp. I tried various lugs and couldn't loosen any of them. I even tried stomping on the wrench. I'm so pissed at myself.

I had my tires rotated a while back at Discount Tire, and apparently I'm not strong enough to undo their machine tightening. I've been kidding myself all these years, pretending to be a car guy, but I'm neither mechanically savvy nor can I drive stick. I need to just stay away from cars and stick to easier, nerdy hobbies.

·
Registered
298 Posts
well, you shouldn't really use a torque wrench to remove your lugs anyway. you'll need a longer tool to get more torque to get them off. if you have a, closed end wrench, you might be able to slide that over the end of your wrench and use that to get some more torque on it. or if you can find a metal pipe to slide over the end of it, that works. or just go out and get your self a sweet impact wrench :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts