Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Nice, as soon as the snow will go i will fix the chrome problem also...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how did you do it?
As it turned out to be a big job to get it off the car, I ended up carefully cleaning/masking everything on the car and then applied plastic primer, a few coats of colour (in my case Black Pearl) and then clear coat. I have to now wait a week before I can fully polish it up. Took all up about 2.5 hrs on a Sunday morning. If you try this yourself, make sure you build up the paint in thin coats so that it does not run.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
depending of the price im just gonna order the STI one from the dealer, they come painted factory colors

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks.... Sounds too hard to do, might just leave it for a while.
Luckly I have done a bit of spray painting in the past and if you think this is hard and are going to just replace it with a STI version, you may have fun getting the old one off. Although you can always just get the shop to do it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
that looks 1000000x time better, esp on black. shame it is such a PIA project :( .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good! I actually dig the chrome on my pearl white.
Yes, not too bad on the lighter colours, but chrome with the clear/silver indicator lights seems to be just too much at the back for the darker colours. IMO Subaru maybe should have picked one or the other.

·
Registered
69 Posts
looks a million times better. but i do agree with pehon. i would l ike to do it myself, but im too scared id screw it up. wish there was somethin though. the chrome with the dark color and clear taillights is too much

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It looks really good painted. I think I'm gonna hold off on this mod though. I've never really been bothered by the chrome as much as a lot of people are. I'd rather have the STi wing than the STi chrome strip :eek:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do both....thats what I plan on doing. The Chrome strip is going first!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yo Blackthing, that looks good. I did mine the same way this weekend and the car looks alot better. But man, what a hassle you go through just to get to that little plastic piece. Next are the tail lights and I will be all blacked out! Like Night Rider. Do-Do Do-Do Do-Do, Do-Do Do.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes a bit of work, but it needed to be done. The lights now don't look to bad with the chrome strip gone, but I think a light smoke tint would look Ok and still let the lights work as they should. IMO the Red tint would not look as good on my car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
depending of the price im just gonna order the STI one from the dealer, they come painted factory colors
Rumor had it that the STI strip might not follow the exact same curvature on the WRX, due to the wider wheel wells... definitely let us know how it goes if you take the dive!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
the unpainted come with primer and ready to paint ??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts