Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, any idea about the chrome piece between the tail lights on the 08 wagon? Easy to take off? Easy to paint? Know where I can buy one painted, or better to just do it yourself. Would rather do it myself than pay for that non-sense. The only thing I hate about my wagon, the silly chrome plastic. ;D

·
Registered
243 Posts
i orderd the sti piece which comes painted to match the color from my dealership for like around $85 should be an easy switch it all fits the same.

·
Registered
519 Posts
No the two are different, the hatch has the Suby emblem incorporated in it.

Seth

·
Registered
110 Posts
Aside from the emblem, does it have the same lines? Curve / length / etc.?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Nope if you look at a sedan and a hatch side by side you can see the difference. I am sure if you want to do some modding and possibly filling holes, you might could make it work. I am not sure if the contour is right either though.

Seth

·
Registered
365 Posts
85 bucks?!?! painted?!?! its 154 at my dealer, and 192 online.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Don't forget, you also have to buy the Star Cluster emblem because the chrome is all one piece.......thats another $40

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm painting mine DIY style, along with the painting the chrome trim on the wrx grille satin black. All the supplies (various grit wet/dry sandpaper, adhesion promoter, primer, paint, rubbing compound, etc etc) will run you less than 70 bucks. Plus you'll end up with lots of leftover useful stuff, and a can of colormatched paint for touch-ups down the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I painted the chrome piece yesterday. It took me several hours of hard sanding. I used 100 grit sand paper to sand off the chrome. After a couple hours it looked like this.
You can see that it is pink under the chrome.

Some more time passes by. And its black under the pink.

Now I primed it, I gave up sanding it anymore, there was still alot of chrome left (I got tired of sanding, I even used oven cleaner to see if the chrome would come off but it didnt' help). I went from 100 grit to 180,220,400,800, and then 1000.

After that, I waited 10 mins between coats.
And here is the finished product, picture quality isn't great but in person doesn't look bad at all.

I was soo tired afterwards, I was thinking this was going to be easy quick DIY but it ended up taking way more time. Chrome was a [email protected]#$d to get off.
Well I hope these pictures will help anyone else planing on doing this and hopfully have better luck getting the chrome off.
I actually didnt' get it all off and the paint came out to be just fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm going to see if a body shop friend can sand and paint mine; the satin white pearl isn't a color on the STI so buying one already done isn't really an option...

Rob

·
Registered
377 Posts
That sucks it is now 1.75.
I might have to do the do it your self method.
Check parts.com. It's still relatively cheap, but it's unpainted and you need the badge. That's where I got mine from.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts